ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***FAO MK2 Clio owners**

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

As 172 owners know there is a problem with the engine hitting the subframe during hard acceleration - the banging!!Renault it would seem accept this is a fault however have made no known attempt to rectify it. Myself and a few others are interested in writing a letter to renault to ask why this is and have decided the more names collected the better!This thread is to find out which 172 owners would like to put there names to letter? please also see the followin thread http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=63158&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=63158&PagePosition=1

E36 323i coupe

Me too... altho I havent experienced the problem. Might be a good idea to write to Renault in Paris too.

I get a bit of a clunck on acceleration, but thought it was a worn top engine mount. Put me down anyway as it is a potential fault as I have a Cup/172.

Embarrassed to say

Presumably if your not getting it, then it must mean your engine is not mounted so closely to the subframe so your ok.

Count me in!

Just out of interest as i notice mine a lot but only use the car on the road - how do 172/Cup owners fare when the guys who regularly 1/4 mile get on? As all thats down to getting power down off the line?

Surely they must suffer the knocking quite bad?

Nippy white cup

Sorry for being dumb but is this the same prob I have? Knocks alot when wheel spinning (sound terrible) but the most annoying noise is when accel hard in 1st and 2nd. Almost sounds like it is missing (but cant hear it from the out side). Doesnt do it in third, I assume this is due to there being less movment of the engine.

Cheers

Chris

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 08 January 2004

Sorry for being dumb but is this the same prob I have? Knocks alot when wheel spinning (sound terrible) but the most annoying noise is when accel hard in 1st and 2nd. Almost sounds like it is missing (but cant hear it from the out side). Doesnt do it in third, I assume this is due to there being less movment of the engine.

Cheers

Chris

yeah i tends to sound like its comin from near the glove box!

2012 WRX Waggon

Dont think Ive got it, only the Wheel Hop? Axle tramp? in the wet.

Put me down though - together we stand, divided we fall;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Okay, if/when we get a lot of people and we can prepare a professional looking letter (spellchecked and everything ;)) we should be able to send this as a club letter, which should hold more weight.

Basically the point of this exercise is just to get renault to admit that there is a problem initially, and a widespread problem at that. Once we can get them to admit to a problem we can ask them to work on a resolution. Even if we get renault to say that its normal, if anything was to happen to someones 172 that related to this problem we would have a letter from renault stating that the noise was normal and therefor not our problem but theirs. It affects all mk2 172 and Cup being produced, and is most noticable if you put power down in first and induce a bit a wheelspin, it is best described as having a "wap wap wap" noise, you would know if you had the problem.

The more names we get the better, we can start to work on the letter as soon as we think we have enough.

Rangerover Supercharged

Put me down my Cup has been in twice now for the knocking problem, its f**king embarasing when you pull away and all people can hear is your car rattling itself to bits.