ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***FAO MK2 Clio owners**

Embarrassed to say

I am useless at writing letters. But keep it very simple otherwise the idiots wont read it.

Everyone could just paste the letter we devise here into their word processors and put in their car registration/name/address etc.

Maybe something like-

Renault UK

Dear sirs,

Re - Fault with most clio 172 mk2 & cups

I am writing to inform you of your total inability to provide reasonable after sales service to effectively cure a fault which plagues many drives of the above cars. Put simply the fault is, under hard acceleration which induces wheel spin the engine bangs against the sub frame causing a loud banging noise and in some cases pulling the car out of first gear.

Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires you to supply goods of satisfactory quality. The fact that the vehicle developed this fault in so many cars shows that it was faulty at the time of purchase. It was therefore not of satisfactory quality and you are consequently in breach of contract.

In these circumstances, I am legally entitled to financial compensation. However, while fully reserving my rights under the Sale of Goods Act, I am prepared to give you an opportunity to find a solution to this fault without charge to me. Please let me know what arrangements you can make to undertake this work speedily (for example you could contact Renault sport in France). I will not except lame excuses that such a fault is a characteristic of the car since the are no instances of such in the clio 172 mk1.

I look forward to receiving your proposals for reparation within the next 14 days.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

There are cases in mk1s tho cos i think rhyss does it!

Trouble is they will say that all individuals should take there car to a dealer for inspection!

Is the letter to come from the club or individuals?? assume thats Jass call!

i will try writing a letter an post it in a while!

Embarrassed to say

Then we need to say that we will not accept dealers taking to car for inspection and that they should provide proof to us that a solution has been found which doesnt involve chopping the car up and voiding the warranty. Also could tell them to ring rsport because they were the ones that told me the fault is the engine banging against the subframe.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

This only took me 2 mins but......

Dear sirs,

I am writing to you in query of a fault found by a number of clio owners and members of ClioSport.net.

The fault is as follows, under hard acceleration which causes wheel spin it would appear the engine bangs against the sub frame of the car and some cases has been known to knock the car out of gear. This as you can imagine is not a pleasant experience and when resulting in removal from gear quite dangerous.

The majority of the problem seems to be with the Clio 172/CUP models. A small number of people have sought dealer advice on this matter, only to meet a mixed response. One dealership went so far as to explain it as a characteristic of the large engined car [referring to a 172]. Engine mounts were also blamed on a number of occasions. However no real explanation has been given.

We as customers of Renault UK find this unacceptable and would like your views on the matter. As stated above this is a common problem and to date nearly 100 members have reported this problem.

Your speedy response regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

What do you folks think is best.. individual email/letters to renault customer services or one letter with the names of all the owners to which the problem affects ?

TDI tyre shreader

i would say individual as 100s of letters is going to have more of an affect than 1 get the posty working aswell lol!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

How about this for an individual letter?? it can be modified to suit your model.

Dear sirs,

I am writing to you in query of a fault I have on my Renault Clio 172.

The fault is as follows, under hard acceleration which causes wheel spin it would appear the engine bangs against the sub frame of the car and some cases has been known to knock the car out of gear. This as you can imagine is not a pleasant experience and when resulting in removal from gear quite dangerous.

I have discussed this matter with a number of fellow Clio owners and it appears I am not alone. A number of people have sought dealership advice on this matter only to get a number of differing replies. These have ranged from a problem with the engine mounts to the fact it was a characteristic of the car. [Referring to a 172] Although one Renault dealership believes the problem can be rectified, however, the work required would not be covered by Renault warranty.

As a customer of Renault UK I find this unacceptable and would like your views on the matter. Any information regarding known remedies to this situation would be appreciated.

I look forward to your prompt reply.

Yours faithfully

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Slightly modified to include Cliosport.

Dear sirs,

I am writing to you in query of a fault I have on my Renault Clio 172

As a member of Cliosport.net I have discussed this matter with a number of fellow Clio owners and it appears I am not alone. A number of people have sought dealership advice on this matter only to get a number of differing replies. These have included a problem with the engine mounts and the fact it was a characteristic of the car. [Referring to a 172] Although one Renault dealership believes the problem can be rectified, however, the work required would not be covered by Renault warranty.

As a customer of Renault UK I find this unacceptable and would like your views on the matter. Any information regarding known remedies to this situation would be appreciated.

Yours faithfully

Quote: Originally posted by SilverRSC on 30 January 2004

Slightly modified to include Cliosport.

Dear sirs,

I am writing to you in query of a fault I have on my Renault Clio 172

As a member of Cliosport.net I have discussed this matter with a number of fellow Clio owners and it appears I am not alone. A number of people have sought dealership advice on this matter only to get a number of differing replies. These have included a problem with the engine mounts and the fact it was a characteristic of the car. [Referring to a 172] Although one Renault dealership (RSport) believes the problem can be rectified, however, the work required would not be covered by Renault warranty.

Yours faithfully
;)

As a member of Cliosport.net I have discussed this matter with a number of fellow Clio owners and it appears I am not alone. A number of people have sought dealership advice on this matter only to get a number of differing replies. These have included a problem with the engine mounts and the fact it was a characteristic of the car. [Referring to a 172] Although one Renault dealership (RSport) believes the problem can be rectified, however, the work required would not be covered by Renault warranty.

Rsport arnt an offical dealership I belive there is a dealership called Rsport but its nothing to do with the RSport tunning company you are talking about.

Renault arnt doing to do anything I feel why because we have already bought 172 etc and when the 182/2005 Clio comes out they will say that a fix has been implemented in a new build car. Im a pesimist though

EDD

Embarrassed to say

So can everyone copy and paste the letter from above to their WP and send it to renault uk. Does anyone know renault uks address so that can be pasted at the top of the letter. We need to do this quick, ill print mine out at the weekend and send it monday morning on the way to work.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Jas has given the ok to use the second letter which mentions cliosport. im just gonna find the address of renault cs

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

The idea is to copy an paste the above letter with your address etc and we will all aend individual letters,

If Renault take no notice i will attempt to write a letter containing the names etc of all those who have put there names down, as you can imagine this would be a huge job as nearly 100 people have put there name down so far!

Embarrassed to say

Maybe we could send one letter with everyones name/reg number to the head of renault uk. I am thinking that most people think they are such a fantastic cars that they arent worried about the banging enough to send a letter.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

think we should see what the response to the initial letters are first!

but if you wanna do it why not, cant hurt.

Writing a letter is a great idea but unfortunately I think they will recommend that people take the problem to their local dealership and have their cars inspected!! As yet Renault do not recognise the problem so the best way for people to register this is to ring Renault customer services (0800 072332)and get them to give you a reference number (much easier than writing a letter!). If we all do this they will have no option but to recognise there is a problem.

If you do get a ref no. please post it, as it can be useful to others when they call and are told that no one has contacted Renault about this problem (as I have been told!!)

Embarrassed to say

Already posted my reference number. Maybe that is a start, if everyone rings and gets a ref no which is posted on here. Also giving the same description of the fault that the engine bangs against the subframe and sometimes pulls the car out of gear.

Hello everyone.

looks like im your only Renault tech member.:(

i work for Renault and have been there for 5 years, now i no extactly what you mean, i even have it on my 172 clio, mines a MK1 tho.

right hear i go.

if you have a mk2 clio 172 normal or a 172 cup, Renalut have just about 3 months ago, brought out a new tech note with ref to nocking noise.

now what we do which is under warrenty is to cut away a small section of the top sturt on both sides so the suspention is not nocking. sounds mad but we have found that this realy works, even the lads at work who have a mk2 clio 172 they have done this to theres and it has worked!

if you go in there and tell your dealer of this noise and u have been told abpout a note with ref the to suspention sturt this will realy help. i will even try abd get you the note number so you cab tell them.

sending a letter may sound a very good idea but i realy cant see them saying much other than we are very sorry bla bla bla..

but the nocking is very bad cos i want to put my foot down and you cant due to once the traction is gone the drive shaft sounds like it is trying to jump into the passanger seat lol

so mk2 clio 172 they have found a 90% cure
but mk1 clio (mine) im still looking but if i find out anything i will let you lot no.

far as i no the v6 clio dont have this problem, cos ive never come across this on the v6, touch wood lol

does that help at all??

also i would help more but 1 post evry 3 min takes far too long and a max of 20 aday! will take ages to help you all. unless this is lifted..

also how do i get a pic up as a avatra? i cant work it out, cheers

mark

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by marksmini on 31 January 2004Hello everyone. looks like im your only Renault tech member.:( i work for Renault and have been there for 5 years, now i no extactly what you mean, i even have it on my 172 clio, mines a MK1 tho. right hear i go.  if you have a mk2 clio 172 normal or a 172 cup, Renalut have just about 3 months ago, brought out a new tech note with ref to nocking noise.now what we do which is under warrenty is to cut away a small section of the top sturt on both sides so the suspention is not nocking. sounds mad but we have found that this realy works, even the lads at work who have a mk2 clio 172 they have done this to theres and it has worked!if you go in there and tell your dealer of this noise and u have been told abpout a note with ref the to suspention sturt this will realy help. i will even try abd get you the note number so you cab tell them. sending a letter may sound a very good idea but i realy cant see them saying much other than we are very sorry bla bla bla..but the nocking is very bad cos i want to put my foot down and you cant due to once the traction is gone the drive shaft sounds like it is trying to jump into the passanger seat lol so mk2 clio 172 they have found a 90% cure
but mk1 clio (mine) im still looking but if i find out anything i will let you lot no. far as i no the v6 clio dont have this problem, cos ive never come across this on the v6, touch wood lol does that help at all?? also i would help more but 1 post evry 3 min takes far too long and a max of 20 aday! will take ages to help you all. unless this is lifted.. also how do i get a pic up as a avatra? i cant work it out, cheersmark

There are a couple of others on here that work for Renualt. There is another fix for mk 2 Clios that stops rumbling in the suspension which involes modifiying the suspension top mounts.

Perhaps if you could get the tech number we could verify it with the other Renault people.

ps. only memebers can have an avatar (the little image next to your name)

Embarrassed to say

Is this the fix that lasts 5 minutes and then its back again.

On the renault sport website they have a video clip of a cup pulling away with wheelspin and no banging. Its bl**dy annoying we cant get this soughted.

the strut realy does work,, only thing is, this aint the only problems they have, theres quite a lots realy, eg exhaust nocking on sub frame, move the top engine mount and thats another noise gone..

so ya might get rid of one noise but theres loads....

not to meachen rattles....

well i get my brand new cup tomorrow, if i get this problem i will be going straight to watchdog and nationally report it, then theyll do something, i have a contact at the BBC if anyone is intrested in me sorting something out?

yeah do it get watchdog involved aswell im buying a 172 in a coulpe of weeks cant wait for all the problems to start...........

Volvo S60 T5

What Marksmini says is correct, but its not a suspension noise, as you all know Im a Renault techy...... The tech note relased for that particular problem sorts out the knocking noise, if done correctly... but not the banging noise on hard acceleration on driving, its frightening on mine, I usually back off the accelerator when it happens.

Its a design fault as far as Im concerned but when you spend 10 to 16k on a car you dont expect it to do this... a question to the RTEs has anyone filed a bulletin to reno on actis about this?

If reno dont know then they cant help.

Im all up for a letter as I have said before, most of the time reno do the best they can to sort out problems, have done loads of recalls for what I would class as minor things... but this knocking NEEDS to be sorted out.

Has anyone had any new engine mounts fitted? Just wondering if this sorts it out?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 01 February 2004

Quote: Originally posted by marksmini on 31 January 2004
Hello everyone.

looks like im your only Renault tech member.:(

i work for Renault and have been there for 5 years, now i no extactly what you mean, i even have it on my 172 clio, mines a MK1 tho.

right hear i go.

if you have a mk2 clio 172 normal or a 172 cup, Renalut have just about 3 months ago, brought out a new tech note with ref to nocking noise.

now what we do which is under warrenty is to cut away a small section of the top sturt on both sides so the suspention is not nocking. sounds mad but we have found that this realy works, even the lads at work who have a mk2 clio 172 they have done this to theres and it has worked!

if you go in there and tell your dealer of this noise and u have been told abpout a note with ref the to suspention sturt this will realy help. i will even try abd get you the note number so you cab tell them.

sending a letter may sound a very good idea but i realy cant see them saying much other than we are very sorry bla bla bla..

but the nocking is very bad cos i want to put my foot down and you cant due to once the traction is gone the drive shaft sounds like it is trying to jump into the passanger seat lol

so mk2 clio 172 they have found a 90% cure

but mk1 clio (mine) im still looking but if i find out anything i will let you lot no.

far as i no the v6 clio dont have this problem, cos ive never come across this on the v6, touch wood lol

does that help at all??

also i would help more but 1 post evry 3 min takes far too long and a max of 20 aday! will take ages to help you all. unless this is lifted..

also how do i get a pic up as a avatra? i cant work it out, cheers

mark

There are a couple of others on here that work for Renualt. There is another fix for mk 2 Clios that stops rumbling in the suspension which involes modifiying the suspension top mounts.

Perhaps if you could get the tech number we could verify it with the other Renault people.

ps. only memebers can have an avatar (the little image next to your name)

the top mount/turret top modification is the same mod that marksmini has explained about.there is also another note that states to check the pas pipe to heat sheild clearance.as for the knocking noise under acceleration i personally think it is down to that there is to much flex in the engine mounts and they need toughening up a bit.i have sent in a tech alert about it before but every dealer in the country needs to be doing it as well otherwise renault will put it down to a few one off vehicles.they have to recieve so many tech alerts before they will investigate the issue.individual letters to renault customer services should help as well.

Embarrassed to say

Well rsport told me that it was a design fault (engine too close to subframe) and its more psychological. They said nothing can be done about it.

The car is pulling out of first gear when I accelerate hard, this is a major fault and renault wont do nothing. Wish they would sought out the major faults before doing recalls on minor faults.

When I rang customer service they said that the garage had told them its a characteristic of the car and there is nothing that could be done. So I doubt any tech alerts would have been sent, this may be true of other dealers.

To add I have pulled major wheelspins in a corrado vr6 (traction control only works under 5mph) without such an occurence and this car has over 190bhp.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if other dealers are just saying its normal and never sending off tech alerts then this thing will never get sorted out.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Just to add to this, a few days ago I pulled out a garage onto the road and proceeded to accelerate hard (dual carrageway) when it hit about 6000rpm it jumped out of gear cause it started spinning and banging..

Can someone maybe knock up a letter in word format or something whereby people just change the details (name, address, reg etc) with the adress to renault customer services already on it.

Worth mentioning that it is affecting so many % of the clio owners on this club so its bound to be affecting most people.

After what I have been reading I think this would be the best way to get our point accross, they cant ignore 100 different letters on the same subject.

Embarrassed to say

The letter is already done just highlight the previous post. right click press copy and then paste it into a word document. But as the renault guy said its unlikely renault will actually read our letters unless they threaten some sought of legal action. And i doubt it will be a small claims case as the labour to fix this would be over a grand most problably.

You could also ring customer service and get a reference number and post it on here.

I was also thinking why dont we all phone renault assistance to assist us in providing a report of the fault which they can then relate back to renault themselves. Just get the guy in the guy floor it on a bumpy road so it pulls out of gear.

Also just coming home tonight I tried to floor it on a bumpy road and it came out of first, I am wondering if this is causing damaged to the gearbox.

I am sure that all the cars with this problem if driven on a bumpy enough road will pull out of gear. What I do now is get my car rolling and nail it in second onwards, unless I know its a smooth road.

Im also getting this problem, but not as bad as some people. This club is getting bigger all the time and we should use our clout to clout them. Renault have done my head in too many times now by damaging my car badly every time I take it in, from dents to full blown chumks out of the plastics, so im up for some blood!.:devilish:

Embarrassed to say

Just noticed watchdog only deal with issues relating to hairdryers and washing machine costing not more than a grand. Is it worth contacting them?

Didnt they do something on Fords Focus, kept cutting out as they were driving along causing total loss of all functions including steering etc!!!!!

Ford were chased up and yhad to recall tons of them to fix the problem!!!

Im sure they did something to do with VW as well...........

Rob.

Banana

yes i remember that feature on watchdog. highlighting it on that show would be a very good idea. the only problem is that they must get a large number of identical complaints before they take it on board, so everyone who posted on this thread should go on the watchdog website and complain individually. if nothing else we would get a definite answer as to why this knock occurs.