ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FLEXI joint in decat or Stronger competition engine mounts? Turbo studs snapping.

Can i get away with using stronger competition engine mounts to stop the engine from kicking back as much whe coming on/off throttle to stop turbo studs snapping?

My other option would be to find a suitable 6'' flexi thats fully stainless so i dont have to braize my decat to weld in a non stainless flexi.

Any help appreciated

Pete

Using a power flex dog bone mount at the minute and both gearbox and big engine mount are standard but Ive shimmed behind the standard engine mount rubber and black casing to make it somewhat very stiff.

172/1.2/E30
The Vibratec-whatever-the-company-is-called mounts are pretty solid. Could be worth are try. What power/torque are you running?

Mental 172 Cup
I have the vibratechnics mounts on my Cup and my engine hardly moves at all, real nice feel inside aswell, feels like a proper track/race car. It would stop alot of movement that you may be getting.

BMW 535d
Definatly advise a 150mm flexi. Helped my turbo exhaust tenfold. I would suggest fitting it into your decat as you have said. Providing you have good engine mounts then it wont knock on the bottom of your car when you release the throttle

Thanks everyone, Il go ahead and buy some propper uprated mounts from ktec or some second hand ones to stop this issue

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
The problem is the lack of flexi section. It's a bigger problem on 172's as the "off the shelf" down pipes only have one joint with a small amount of movement, 182's use an extra pipe which introduces an extra joint with gives a little bit more flex in the system.

Personally I'd get the uprated mounts and get a local custom exhaust place to put a proper flexi section in it there not even that expensive

http://www.nortechperformance.com/products/-2.5"-Ilock-FLEXI-6"-Long-304-stainless-steel.html

Cheers mate, would a 4inch flexi suffice? its small and im noit sure it would give enough flex being so short. I could squeeze and get a 6inch one tigged in at a push!

I put a 6" stainless flexi in mine, although it was 3" dia. Wasn't so much damaging studs but I didn't want the gaskets to start blowing. Paid £30 so about the same price. It has plenty of flex, if you can get 6" in the space then go for that. I also braced the turbo and down pipe to two different locations on the block with a bit of fabrication (not a Clio though).

Cheers Jord! Il get one tigged in and il try have a look around the back of my block to see where i can brace the down pipe as the twist might see the studs snapped.

Any idea if my oil return size and also .8mm restriction in feed would suffice?