ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf VR6 track car,stripped noisy thing

53 Clio's & counting
Couldn't pass this one up! Was offered it by a friend, VERY cheap so had to say yes.

Needs some tidying, but should be good fun to mess about with

Collected today, basic spec is:

1997 2.8 Golf VR6
Uprated cams (Unkown make atm)
Tubular manifold
Scorpion exhaust
Decat
Induction kit
Drilled discs + Redstuff pads all round
Lowered suspension (known atm)
Slightly stripped..........

2011-09-24154404.jpg

2011-09-24154351.jpg

2011-09-24154343.jpg

2011-09-24162649.jpg

2011-09-24154413.jpg

2011-09-24154426.jpg

2011-09-24154433.jpg

2011-09-24154441.jpg

Oh the noise......

G

Gregor11

i like it, that'll be a laugh! i always like the vr6, what a noise!!

Never above 25mpg
Nice, few body issues to sort out but the engine's worth alot more so you've not lost anything on it :D

Something for green track cars at the moment then?

53 Clio's & counting
2.8 dude, Corrado's had the 2.9.

Made 196bhp a few weeks ago, i pretty sure the engines a good one :)

53 Clio's & counting
Latest update on the aply named:

Pikeymotorsport.com??

Lol

Been and checked it over for it's MOT and it needs:

2 sills
o/s tie rod
2 tyres
Lights working correctly

Sills due to arrive today, brand new and including a tie rod too - total for those are £56 lol.

Also got a set of decent suspension coming, Spax Crypton shockers and springs, adjustable damping (iirc) and 10k miles old

Sorted a set of BBS VR6 highline wheels with decent tyres on, they are due in the week, all thats left is to sort the wiring.

Everything works bar front dipped beam and rear tail lights - I have printed off the full interior loom wiring diagram - all 51 pages off it lol so will be sitting down and tracing the wires later - shouldn't take me too long I hope, I like messing about with wiring :)

Been totting up the list:

Further strip back the wiring loom and get rid of the few bit's I don't need (I have a spare loom so I will be extending a few bits and pieces to tidy the loom up)
Make new seat runners for the seats and mount the drivers seat further back.
Fit my dished steering wheel
Make up a switch board (For the few bits I will need, horn button, ABS light etc)
Strip all the sound proofing out the inside, cut out all brackets etc I don't need
Spray the inside (Just to tidy it up)
Re-seal the car - not waterproof at the moment as various bungs and seals are off - simple job.
Sell the chavtastic front fog lights, and make the space into extra cold air ducting.
Full service (I have done oil, but will do another change in a few hundred miles once the car is back being used)
Fix the exhaust - it is sat wonky
New tyres - and hopefully wheels if I can get some cheap enough
Make the colomn bracing stronger - though it's pretty good as it is!
Poly windows (Pikey perspex way!)

I am unsure on the sunroof yet - it gets VERY hot in the Golf, and I may keep it so I can open it for ventilation lol, though I have an idea Im looking at....

The MOT items are sorted, just need a spare day to use the workshop to get it all sorted, wheels should be turning up mid week too :)

Whole aim is to have it road legal with most of the bits I want done for around £650 (including the cost of the car)

I may even spray it........

53 Clio's & counting
Um yeah that seems to be what iv been doing lately lol

Il get a vid once it's legal - if Pure Evil has a noise, this is it

An interesting choice for a track car, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. It could have serious potential although at the moment it looks like a bit of a mess :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Lol Russ it looks interesting :p Will be interesting to see how you get on with it though, gl!

53 Clio's & counting
Been out doing a little more on the wiring - Found out if you push the MFA button on the wiper stalk it flashes the brake lights PMSL!

So something is definately not right, Iv decided to start re-making sections of the loom - it will save me a lot of time rather than chasing my tail looking for the faults.

Lotus Elise
Wiring looms and gearboxes are the two thing I hate when it comes to working on cars. Bet these sound ridiculous on ITBs ;)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
A bloke down my street owns one of these and it sounds mental. Always had a bit of a soft spot for these myself.

53 Clio's & counting
Wiring looms and gearboxes are the two thing I hate when it comes to working on cars. Bet these sound ridiculous on ITBs ;)

I HATE gearboxes - I don't touch them after the first (and only one) iv touched lasted 2 weeks in a car I had lol.

Oh don't get me on the idea of ITB's! lol

53 Clio's & counting
Small update,

I have now aquired:

The 2 new sills
Spax adjustable shockers with -60mm springs
Headlight switch
Door and boot seals
VR6 highline alloys in black with part worn Khumo's on

So im close to being MOT-able, id like to have it done in January and see how I can do in next years Santa Pod street challenge - see if I can beat my 14.2 that the Clio did, and im hoping I can - The map needs more of a tweak as it has not been set up correctly since the cams were fitted, so a mate is doing this on his rollers for a very reasonable £80 and it is showing 196bhp at the moment, and should creap over 200bhp once set up right, with around 190lb ft of torque, big chunk from idle :)

The weight I am unsure of at the moment - the official figures float around the 1200-1250kg mark, so once I'v finished taking more weight out id like to think it will get close to 1000kg's, so that hopefully might get me my goal of getting into the 13's.......

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers Dave, though im trying to keep the spending to a minimum as the list of things i would like to do keeps growing - the total spending cap is around the £850 mark - thats inc of everything including the car, all parts and labour