ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf VR6 track car,stripped noisy thing

53 Clio's & counting
It's had most bits replaced over the past year or so, the guy who owned it before my mate who i bought it off was really working hard making it a tidy track car so bushes, bearings and brakes are still fairly new, so it's only general wear and tear I have to worry about :)

53 Clio's & counting
Welding is being done early January, and I have decided to get another complete loom - I want to route it differently interally as it currently is, and part of my loom is missing, so a bargain off Ebay came yesterday - full OBD2 loom, complete with fusebox, relays & fuses, OBD port (Which I am missing out of my current loom) [plus he kindly threw in the rear light and fuel pump loom also.

This coming weekend the alloys are going on, plus the wiring will be led out, excess cut and removed, and will start to be placed where I want it - not perminantly yet mind, as I don't want any possible heat damage when the welding is done.

Aim is to be fully road legal by end of Jan, and down Santa Pod in Febuary to see how we get on - I have a huge amount of work to still do, but im hoping to beat the 14.2 second time I laid down in my previous throttle bodied 172**

53 Clio's & counting
Another little breakthrough :D managed to get the rear lights working - I got fed up messing about so I ran my spare loom from fuse box to rear lights and they work :D means there must be a break/short somewhere along the original wiring, so as that has to come up for the welding, im going to scrap it and use this new loom. All thats left is dipped beam (which im hoping to sort this weekend) then it's wheels on, and off for welding, suspension and MOT early January :) Once MOT'd I can start tidying up the wiring, get everything run inside how I want, spray the inside, get it mapped for the cams that are in it, get rid of all the glass........ it goes on and on lol

53 Clio's & counting
Im ok if I tackle one bit at a time Sam, but grouped all together gives me a right headache lol, Cheers dude, il grab a load more pictures this weekend :)

Evo 5 RS
I had more problems than I could count on both hands and feet with the loom on my Corrado :(.

This thread is crying out for some trumpets :p

53 Clio's & counting
PMSL! Don't tempt me, though being honest i'v had a look and I think it would be even easier to get this on itb's than my Clio...

384345460v3_240x240_Front_Color-White.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
Needs itb's and a turbo lol. Got a mate coming round over the w/end, going to crack on, get the lighting sorted, wheels on, and maybe even suspension if I have time - depends on how long the wiring takes

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers Ali, iv had one before, years ago before I bought my first 172, and I agree, I love the soundtrack :)

330Ci cab
Type cossiefran in YouTube, there's a couple of my old one from a few years back (quality isn't good, grab a pair of headphones it more than makes up for it)
Had a green air filter and a mongoose stainless. Sold it to a guy in Peterborough and I regret it so much

53 Clio's & counting
Mine has some sort of enclosed induction kit, with the end open lol, a 6 branch manifold, decat and a Scorpion exhaust - plus with no interior it's like a normal VR but the volume turned up to 11 :D

330Ci cab
Mine has some sort of enclosed induction kit, with the end open lol, a 6 branch manifold, decat and a Scorpion exhaust - plus with no interior it's like a normal VR but the volume turned up to 11 :D

:hail: need to get a vid made, sounds good to me and might make me buy another :)

53 Clio's & counting
Will be bacxk on the road next month, so will have some vids up then dude - il get more pictures up this weekend too

53 Clio's & counting
Well as it was a little warmer today, I had a good few hours on it, Dad came up and fitted my spare carpet on the floor of the garage, and I cracked on with the Golf.

2011-12-27114836.jpg

First job was to fit the VR6 Highline alloys I got a while back, as these are already sprayed black, I think they look pretty good against the green paintwork.

2011-12-27123846.jpg

2011-12-27123908.jpg

2011-12-27123915.jpg

Much better than the GTi alloys, and helps that it now has the correct sized tires on, instead of the 195 section ones on the Gti alloys.

Next on the list was fitting my other n/s headlight as the one in there had the wrong connection on it

2011-12-27124803.jpg

After that, I spent a little more time on the wiring

2011-12-27123933.jpg

2011-12-27130841.jpg

At that point, Stu kindly turned up to help me, and he saw an earth wire that was not making a good contact, (Which I had stupidly missed) and after a load of fiddling around trying different wiring sections and different relays we managed to get the front dipped working!

2011-12-27144302.jpg

So now we are pretty much all up together for the MOT, just need the welding sorted in a few weeks, then I can actually start putting some miles on and get the wiring tidied up as it is currently thrown across the middle of the car lol

Evo 5 RS
I thought for a minute it was a valver from the first pic lol. Spec savers...

Best pub talk car paint ever - "What colour is your car?" It's dragon green

Lotus Elise
Looks like you're really making progress Russ, are you going to fit a cage at some point or just concentrate on getting it out on track?

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers Sam :) Yes, id like a cage - as my seats are fixed (Well the drivers one is, the passenger one is a recliner with the adjuster knob kicked off lol) I really don't like the idea of rolling over without a cage (Not that I plan on rolling it lol, but as you know mate, you can't be too safe!) so yeah some sort of cage is on the cards - it all falls down to how far I go with the bodywork - the sills are rusty (As I meantioned in the OP) so im going to wait and see what its like once the new sills are on and it's all welded - if it's solid I will continue with this, and see where it takes me, (ie cage will be aquired) but if the shell ends up being a bit too far gone (im pretty sure it's fine, but wont know fully until iv cut the sills off...) then il use it through the summer at a few track days/sprints/auto tests, then I might get another VR and swap the good bits over - Im unsure yet, it depends on how good this is with that big boat anchor out the front ;)

Iv not seen many VR track cars, but working with numbers (circa 200bhp/200lb ft torque combined with a wide power band, and circa 1000kg's in weight) it should be really good fun, but we shall see - Im still waiting for the right RWD car to pop up while I save for another Elise, but with a 2nd child on the way, that will be on the back burner for a little bit!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Stick with the golf russ.

Cheap and (fairly) quick track cars are the way forward.

The way I look at it, if you binned it, you're not going to cry. If you binned that elise you had, wave bye bye to £8,000....

53 Clio's & counting
Your right there sweetie, though I still stand by my statement of the Elise is the best car for driver enjoyement iv ever had, and iv had ALOT of cars lol.

The Golf (for the short time iv driven it) is pretty awesome though, due to the lack of interior (Even the bulkhead plating is gone - i can see the 6 branch from the drivers seat lol) it sounds like a pissed off Satan gargling a bulldog who itself was chewing a wasp.

Id like to lay a bet that once it's had the map tweaked (it's not been done properly since the cams were fitted) it should be at least as quick as the Elise/my old itb'd Clio around Combe, so should be fun against some more powerfull cars ;)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Had a ride round Goodwood years ago (think 96 or 97) in a vr6 vento that was competing in the Esso Ultron challenge at the time. Powerwise they were only 185-190 but with fully welded cage, slicks and massive brakes was very quick mini touring car. Will try and dig out a pic

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Was a pretty good series at the time with ex touring car drivers and aspiring ones