ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi Guys,

The Clios been giving me a bit of a rough time recently, last couple of months i've been considering other cars of similar nature, but i've just replaced the Gearbox, Radiator and a set of injectors this month so i'm in this too deep now to just turf it out. What sorta things can i do to transform this car into something that feels different so I can love it again? current mods include;

Team Dynamics Pro Race 3's with Nankang NS2R's
OMP Trecento wheel with DND Snap off boss
Fatty Induction kit
KTEC Supersports catback
Brembo HC Discs with Mintex M1144 pads on the front, and Renault genuine discs on the rear with brembo pads, all topped off with goodridge braided hoses and ATE Gold
Powerflex upper left engine insert
Evol Motorsports black dogbone mount
Laguna Splitter, OMP Style towing eye, French flag decals on the sport grill, black vinyl wrapped bottom bar

I think thats everything i can think of, I Havent got a mad budget but you know, any suggestions of things i could do over time, both interior, exterior, running gear etc would be greatly appreciated!

Ive attached the most recent photos of my car, sorry they're a bit gash, my mate was more interested in his beemer, i haven't taken any myself as i dont feel its special/cool enough anymore!

Attachments

• received_419302845071521.jpeg
    received_419302845071521.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 177
  • received_419302968404842.jpeg
    received_419302968404842.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 181
  RS 200 CUP
Is it just because of the problems you've recently had that you've fallen out of love with it?
If so and everything running as it should now I'd say give it a good service and take it on a nice road trip on some of the suggested "best roads".
That might remind you what a great car you have and why you got it in the first place.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Is it just because of the problems you've recently had that you've fallen out of love with it?
If so and everything running as it should now I'd say give it a good service and take it on a nice road trip on some of the suggested "best roads".
That might remind you what a great car you have and why you got it in the first place.

Do a track day.

Drive it...?

That's what cars are for, yahno.

I've definitely been driving it as it should, and its still an awesome little car to drive, I just don't seem to have a love for it like I have previous cars. I had thought of a couple of track days, would be my first time on track and I can't say I'm not nervous about crashing it!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely go on track. You'll realise how much better it is than your previous cars once it's on the ragged edge on track.

Then again it depends what you look for in your cars.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Do you live near any good country roads?

I went out in the Megane on Sunday. Stunning roads along with the weather and the chassis. I was beginning to get bored of it until then

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As others have rightly said, take it on track. Not a lot of point in those mods you have if it's just for road use.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
One simple mod that changes how the car feels is take the back seats out and leave them, the spare tyre and jack at home, them go for a blast, the loud empty shell that's a good 30kg's lighter will make it feel like a go cart, it will also make the exhaust a lot louder in the cabin as there's nothing absorbing the sound, it makes the car feel alot more raw and exciting, with the added advantage that it only takes 5 minutes to put it all back in.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Live out in the sticks of Norfolk with snetterton under an hour away and plenty of back roads, it gets the country road treatment most days! I was thinking of half stripping it and fitting a rear cage to see if that makes it feel better

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Live out in the sticks of Norfolk with snetterton under an hour away and plenty of back roads, it gets the country road treatment most days! I was thinking of half stripping it and fitting a rear cage to see if that makes it feel better

Sounds to me like your bored of the car

172 Cup
Best thing I can think of would be to borrow or buy something like a 1.0 Yaris, use it for a month, sell/give back then jump back into yours. If that doesn't work then it might be time to change cars.

Is the suspension all the original stuff?

Overhauling shocks/springs/bushes/top mounts/track rods/wheel bearings with new, OEM kit would likely tighten everything up nicely and bring back some 'fun' factor.

You might even just need your alignment done if it's handling weird/stodgily - small changes can make a big difference in handling and feel.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Stop pissing about and just drive it. Removing 20kgs of seats and then adding 30kgs of scaffolding will not help in the slightest.

Go do an evening session at Snetterton.

If you don't enjoy that, then jog it on and buy something else !

PS: What suspension are you using ? Coilovers/springs ?! Shove a set of BC Racing coilovers on there (buy from MickPM on here!) if you're running standard stuff at the mo.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
As above, get yourself booked in at Snet, and do a couple of days there.
If you still don't care, sell it and get an MX5. Things get a lot more exciting when you're driving the rear wheels with no driver aids to save you.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
All standard suspension at the mo, was thinking of having a fiddle with that!

Its also not used for commuting ever, I have a work van for that, it's just taken out in the evenings on spirited drives to see friends!

Sounds like a trackday is the way forward now then! I'll get looking, cheers everyone

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah do that mate. Also if you do book one just go for the lols rather than speed hero. It's fun :)