ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Holey Renault 5 16V... Williams F7R & Alpha ITBs

williams and trophy
Re: Renault 5 F2000 Tarmac Rally / Sprint Car - Clio Williams conversion & overhaul

maybe he wants rid of em ;)

they not hard to map........jus use diff software to some

stick with the alpha mate imo..........yes the shell mite b an old skool 5.......but the engine isnt, it deserves better than carbs. alpha, map it n forget.......carbs...constant hassle imho

ValverInBits
Re: Renault 5 F2000 Tarmac Rally / Sprint Car - Clio Williams conversion & overhaul

all those lovely cold starts in the morning. Cranking waiting for the noisy splutter :) then leave her to warm for 15 mins.
Similar to getting a steam train going i heard.....;)

M

mini-valver

Youre getting confused with a fucked old Nova with a Pierburg carb. 40's are fine for cold starts if you have them jetted right, correct chokes and mix spot on!

williams and trophy

until the weather changes......so it all needs resetting again

M

mini-valver

Only minor though. ITB's win over carbs all day long but if mapping is such an issue, its a solution to the problem and is in-keeping with the car. So simple to make the engine run too.

williams and trophy

mapping is NOT an issue tho.

get it mapped rite...get it mapped once...simples

car is old.....engine is injection as std.........why restrict the power output with carbs??

M

mini-valver

He's on a budget though. £350 for mapping you just said.

It wont make any less power than standard though will it.

ITB'd MK1

I wouldn't ditch the bodies personally, Webers aren't the best but carbs are hugely compromised on fueling. There will ALWAYS be somewhere that's flat in the rev range, you can't get away without compromise.

williams and trophy

with what?? carbs. no it would be an improvement, barely. but the bodies would be so much more.

yeah 350 for mapping. budget for it...no point not doing in my experience, having fitted mine n not getting it mapped properly.....waste of time, altho the scoobs etc round here were running scared hehe.

tbh, if its worth doing might as well do it right. budget or no.

M

mini-valver

Like I said dude, ITB's>Carbs BUT its on a budget and you will still gain power ove rthe standard inlet.

The sound mint, cheap to use, save messing with looms etc to install and it'll be a break from the norm.

DCOE F7R in a 5 shell? Has awesome written all over it.

williams and trophy

bodies are already paid for....an extra 350 isnt a huge amount really.

spending countless hours under the bonnet readjusting the carbs to suit temps etc on the day rather than hooning round in it..........errrrrrr il take the latter option thanks. and wud probs save more than that on fuel........

M

mini-valver

You're exaggerating there, they dont need THAT much adjusting FFS. Remember these were standard fit on cars.

I know what you mean and yeah, use the ITB's if you can but if the mapping is a)expensive b) anyone can actually do it the carbs are much cheapness.

williams and trophy

yes they were..and we always had probs with em.

and as already said....mapping i dont think is expensive tbh, the cost could be clawed back simply through fuel consumption within a couple months.

and the master mapper wayne can map em. ;) no probs

buying a diff ecu is gunna b 300+ anyway, then u still gotta get it mapped

fair enuff, could sell the bodies n buy carbs.......but why? lol

M

mini-valver

I never had problems with starting or running with mine though!

Junk all the wiring and ECU, so lighter and simpler ;)

Let Winston decide I reckon, LOL!

williams and trophy

lighter yes.....but then a greater power/weight ratio.......

simpler??

fit, get em mapped......forget.......whats simpler than that? they will run on the map supplied with em.......jus not very good.....as mine was.....s**t map.but was still good enough to embarass supposed much faster machinery.

ValverInBits

Im sorry winston mate, your going to have to put 2 cylinders on carbs and 2 on ITBs. it's the only way to keep these lads happy

;)

M

mini-valver

ITB's are better, so its all good but carbs are a cheaper solution and will still sound epic.

williams and trophy

i know u said it was on a budget. but were the bodies budgeted for in the first place??...

the extra to get them mapped would be nothing compared to the purchase of the kit.

2 on each cylinder lol....would b 1/2 quick then ;)

I love a good debate :D

LOL @ at 2 cylinders on carbs and 2 on ITBs

The ITB's won't be going anywhere... the carbs were just a fall back idea if i can't get it running... I will just have to save for the mapping

After some thought im not going to rush the project and get the car fully resprayed pre build... so it might not make FCS!!

Todays fiddlings....

Ghetto injector blanks.... Can anyone guess what they are? Not sure how im going to seal them in yet... any suggestions?

IMG_4264.jpg

Gearbox painted with 2 coats of hammerite smooth... Needs a little touching up, but pretty much done. I need to get some locktight to fit the flywheel and then it can be matted up to the engine

IMG_4269.jpg

Front end and engine stripped down ready to come out... got holes? Im just waiting on getting my jack back from a friend then i can drop it out the bottom on the subframe

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

40p's worth of blanks lol

Vw caddy tdi

Car looks mint on page 7. All it needs imho is a stanard ph2 r5 turbo grill/bumper matched to the orange paint. I really like the 5 orange with yellow vynal and black splits.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

ahhh they are 5ps! lol

Cheers Alex.... The orange is staying for now but im going to paint the yellow bits in gun metal grey... I do need a Ph2 GT grill but finding one below £40 secondhand is a nightmare

Weather & my new daily Mk2 Golf GTD daily had led me to neglet the 5 but the sun was out this morning so i got stuck in....

1st job was to fit Lighterned and balanced flywheel, Clutch and Gearbox... I had tryed fitting the flywheel on saturday but one of the bolts sheered off (I won't be using the impact gun in future to torque them up lol).. I managed to get it out and all went together as planned today... sorry no pics

2nd Job was to bolt the gearbox to the engine and mount them both on the subframe with Ktec uprated GT Turbo mounts.. I also fitted both manifolds

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg

3rd job was to fit the Renault cambelt kit

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

Now all thats left is to get a few mates around and lift the car onto the subframe... then i can really start getting stuck in.

IMG_4539.jpg

Engine bay mid clean

IMG_4530.jpg

Ive still got plenty of parts left to paint... steering rack, hubs, calipers, strut brace and coilovers..... So much left to do haha

340i

Looking well Winstonia...

Any luck finding the software to map the new ECU?

R5 GTT

Look very nice matey, looking forward to seeing it up and running matey

Cheers guys :)

No look with the software.... I think im going to save for another ECU and loom.. thats little more user friendly... but see how it runs with the map on the Alpha ECU lol

alien green rs133

Cheers guys :)

No look with the software.... I think im going to save for another ECU and loom.. thats little more user friendly... but see how it runs with the map on the Alpha ECU lol

keep an eye on ebay, i bought a link ecu that i can map at home, downloadable software off their website and came with adaptor lead, WIN :cool:

change out of 250 quid :rasp:

M

mini-valver

Need a hand getting it in man? Im free sunday....

Cant wait to see this finished, gonna be a f**king weapon!

Vw caddy tdi

Yea standard grills in gc are hard to come by especially with the tags holdin slats 2gether still, may have to get from a stealers im not sure how much they are . Iv asked my 5gt wh*"r£ friends for you no one has one sorry, they are the best gril by far tho. Also have you concidered (prob stealer part only again sorry) refitting the standard front and rear bumper strips in factory black, they are stick on in 1 piece for rear and 2 piece for front kit they refitt nice would look the dogs too against either the 13'' cup steels or 2pc splits in black? pls dont loose the yellow vynals it makes the car and imo so different in a good way!!

Last edited:

I should be ok dave.... got a big ug of mate that can lift and drop whilst i line it all up lol

I will just keep my eyes peeled for a grill... I mist one on ebay that went for £25. Ive got the bumper strips in my greenhouse i removed from some spare bumpers, unsure if i will fit them or not and the yellows deffo going, I want to stamp my own mark on the car... but how it looks is the last thing on my mind at the mo lol

s1 williams/106gti

this car is gonna be nuts !!!

Loads of room.... dare i say more than a mk1 Clio

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

Theres a few parts i need holding me up and i need to get my angle grinder back from jord as the bodies foul the slam panel.

ITB'd 182...

Love the cheese grater affect ;)

Cheers folks...

I got abit more done this afternoon/evening... bay is slowly starting to fill up :D

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

ValverInBits

very nice, good progress :)