ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
Suffice it to say he is not a happy bunny :( He has had no luck with his engines and has now done three in total. Talking of putting an Audi engine in it now although of course he would not be able to race with that config I'm guessing.

Golf GTD Mk7
depends what events he wants to run in i'd imagine. but usually it needs to be an OE engine which can then be modified.

Qashcow
Nope he wouldn't be able to race in many/any series.

That's sounds like an epic failure, not in a good way epic though. What clutch/fly was he using, was it a similar fault with the previous engine?

BMW Z4
Not sure on the clutch although it was "new" so the guy said when he bought the engine, but that "new" could mean a cheap jobby from Ebay I guess.

BMW Z4
hammer? cheese wire type of cutting wire normally used

Ah it's just black bonding glue stuff then like the side windows? When I put the plastic windows in do I use the same glue? Or fixings aswell?

PS
Where can you get that stuff from by the way?

Qashcow
Good question and I can't answer sorry. My work collegue used to be a windscreen fitter so that's how I knew about it. Not actually done it on the car yet

BMW Z4
HI Guys

Well another manic weekend but also very enjoyable. My Car is now looking like a car and I am crossing jobs off my list with gay abandon. In fact this weekend I worked on the car in a fishnet leotard and slingback stilleto whellies I was that happy :)

So to the pictures as I know that all you lot like to see pictures eh :)

First up are some shots of the front suspension in place and my new ABS sensors. The old ones were welded in place and had to be chiselled out.

frontsuspension1.jpg

frontsuspension2.jpg

frontsuspension3.jpg

frontsuspension4.jpg

frontsuspension6.jpg

frontsuspension7.jpg

Next I thought I would put my new Helix organic clutch on. This clutch was grown on a bio farm it seems and will make me healthy.

helixkit.jpg

Sadly when I went to put the helix on my nice flywheel it did not fit as you can see the cover is too wide for it :(

helixonfly.jpg

helixonfly1.jpg

helixonfly2.jpg

helixonfly3.jpg

So I put my old flywheel back on for the time being and until Matt and I can investigate this.

clutchfitted.jpg

clutchfitted1.jpg

Next up I put the gearbox on the enigine out of the car. I wanted to try putting the engine in with the gearbox attached to see if I could do that. It worked thankfully with the right angle and also by taking the lower gearbox mount off.

gearboxonengine.jpg

gearboxonengine1.jpg

I also test fitted the driveshaft to make sure it was not tight anywhere.

driveshaftfit.jpg

driveshaftfit1.jpg

I also fitted the new cup hydraulic pipe although had forgotten to order both pipes doh, the other one is coming this week. These pipes of course fit as designed and so don't need bending. However they are £200.

cuphydraulicpipe.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe1.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe2.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe3.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe4.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe5.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe6.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe7.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe8.jpg

cuphydraulicpipe9.jpg

Ok lets put those rear spring rubbers on and also my rear camber shims too. Those rubbers were £80 and will teach me not to chuck stuff out so fast.

rearspringrubbers.jpg

My camber shims are 1 degree so I shall see how we go with those first.

rearcambershims.jpg

rearcambershims1.jpg

rearcambershims2.jpg

rearcambershims3.jpg

rearcambershims4.jpg

Finally I put the engiine in the car.

enginein.jpg

enginein1.jpg

enginein2.jpg

enginein3.jpg

enginein4.jpg

enginein5.jpg

enginein6.jpg

enginein7.jpg

enginein8.jpg

enginein9.jpg

enginein10.jpg

Lastly I fitted my dash. I had to cut out quite a bit to get this in past the cage bars etc. I might fill those gaps with something if I can think what.

dashin.jpg

dashin1.jpg

So that's it. ALL of that was done on Saturday so im quite pleased :) This Saturday I shall pipe her up and do some more and then next week she is off to Lord Faulks for his ministrations :)

Mark.

PS
My new rear window is on its way from Bomber :) Side windows are 3 to 4 weeks away.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
very nice as always mate. Love the bright colouring :D Did custom cages get back to you regarding the lack of harness bar?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You really really need to resize your pictures before uploading mate. This thread has taken an age to load for me and i'm on broadband.

Other than that excellent update!

Lionel Richie
your upper 3 gearbox bolts are in the wrong holes (the long ones)

and your lower front suspension/hub camber bolts are facing the wrong way, they should point backwards

and you just blew up my laptop

Lionel Richie
Now theres the thing. It was a strategic decision for this year so my car is NOT faster than Nick, Chris's or the two Jons! I agreed to this as for track days and getting our 6 sigs it would be more fun if we are all on equal (ish) terms. Of course my chassis, suspension and brakes have all had more money spent on them and I have done other bits and pieces too. As I said before I will develop a second engine over the winter that will be mega and keep this engine in the car so I never miss out on testing or a track day.

Now. Chris has just rang me as they are on a track day today and he has blown his third engine. This time the clutch decided to throw itself out the front of the gearbox, cut his loom, bust his block lugs, smashed the gearbox and starter motor and gone through his power steering pipes and then for good measure out the front of the rad!

He is NOT happy as you can imagine.

Is this a regular occurance as I am sure I read that before?

yep very common if you over heat the stock clutch or any clutch actually (ie riding it)

BMW Z4
your upper 3 gearbox bolts are in the wrong holes (the long ones)

and your lower front suspension/hub camber bolts are facing the wrong way, they should point backwards

and you just blew up my laptop

HI Fred.

your upper 3 gearbox bolts are in the wrong holes (the long ones)?? You mean I have the wrong bolt in the hole??

and your lower front suspension/hub camber bolts are facing the wrong way, they should point backwards?? You mean the large lower bolt and the KW bolt on the shock should face backwards?

Mark

BMW Z4
You really really need to resize your pictures before uploading mate. This thread has taken an age to load for me and i'm on broadband.

Other than that excellent update!

Will do. I forget I'm on 100 meg fibre here in Bern :) I downloaded a movie in 6 minutes last night LOL. Makes my 2 meg BT line in Peterborough look as embarassing as it is third world I guess :(

Lionel Richie
HI Fred.

your upper 3 gearbox bolts are in the wrong holes (the long ones)?? You mean I have the wrong bolt in the hole??

and your lower front suspension/hub camber bolts are facing the wrong way, they should point backwards?? You mean the large lower bolt and the KW bolt on the shock should face backwards?

Mark

yeah both lower shock bolts should face backwards

upper 3 gearbox bolts, the one with the double washer fits by the clutch fork

Qashcow
i can attack your window by all means, payment however is a return trip to the Dubai 24h.

the leopard leotard isnt mine, i dont know how i was wearing it that morning!!

BMW Z4
yeah both lower shock bolts should face backwards

upper 3 gearbox bolts, the one with the double washer fits by the clutch fork

Cheers Fred, I shall change those this weekend. What difference does that double washer bolt make by the way in that position? Got another mammoth Saturday as Lord Faulks wants the car next week for wiring, looms, EC1, map and a whole host of other stuff Ill wager.

Mark.

BMW Z4
I was wondering if I can remove the plastic honeycomb in the front bumper? Or do i need to retain it for safety regs? Does it clip out?

Qashcow
I'm only slim, I'll fit in the engine bay!

From what Tony says, you may struggle to pass regs with that crash bit missing from behind the bumper. It doesn't weigh a drastic amount

BMW Z4
I'm only slim, I'll fit in the engine bay!

From what Tony says, you may struggle to pass regs with that crash bit missing from behind the bumper. It doesn't weigh a drastic amount

Ah Ill leave it in then in that case. Is that the same for the rear one too? That looks like its full of foam.

182cup & 172 racecar
I was wondering if I can remove the plastic honeycomb in the front bumper? Or do i need to retain it for safety regs? Does it clip out?

It is part of the safety stuff.We have never been checked yet,but it will happen one day,a bit like the handbrake,never a problem until we got to Silverstone.

182cup & 172 racecar

It is part of the safety stuff.We have never been checked yet,but it will happen one day,a bit like the handbrake,never a problem until we got to Silverstone.

182cup & 172 racecar
Tony what was up with your handbrake?

As Tom says,we built the car without a handbrake,when we got to Silverstone,5th race of the year,the scrutineer was s**t hot and tried to stop everybody from racing who didn't have a h/b,this would have left about 4 cars to race lol.
Actually in the Blue book it's says something about secondary braking(handbrake?),doesn't actually say h/b but that's what it means,typical,never say's what it means.

CLIO PH1 172
As Tom says,we built the car without a handbrake,when we got to Silverstone,5th race of the year,the scrutineer was s**t hot and tried to stop everybody from racing who didn't have a h/b,this would have left about 4 cars to race lol.
Actually in the Blue book it's says something about secondary braking(handbrake?),doesn't actually say h/b but that's what it means,typical,never say's what it means.

Haha ok thanks for clearing up. But what else could secondary brake mean?

182cup & 172 racecar
You ever looked through the Blue Book,nothing makes sense in there anyway,plus you've got to find it first.!

BMW Z4
So another day on the car. Quite a bit to do today to get it ready for Matt next week. Nick popped in for a cuppa so I comandered him to help :)

nickhelps.JPG

So firstly I thought I would paint up my manifold and then fit it.

manifold.jpg

manifold2.jpg

That all went well till I came to fit it in the car doh. Lots of scratching heads and then I decided to drop the whole subframe and it went straight in.

manifold3.jpg

manifold4.jpg

I had cleaned my power steering fulid bottle and was very pleased with how clean it came up.

cleanpowersteeringbottle.jpg

bottles.jpg

So now we moved onto piping up and also fitting my second cup hydraulic pipe.

hydraulicpipe.jpg

pipingup.jpg

pipingup2.jpg

pipingup3.jpg

pipingup4.jpg

pipingup5.jpg

pipingup6.jpg

pipingup7.jpg

pipingup8.jpg

pipingup9.jpg

This is the elbow I bought.

elbow.jpg

And lastly I fitted the inlet manifold.

inlet.jpg

inlet2.jpg

inlet3.jpg

inlet4.jpg

I also fitted the Ktech exhaust today although did not get any shots of that. It needs fettling in by Matt though as it does not fit very well at the back. Anyway she is now ready for wiring EC1 and switch panel :) Won't be long now before it's done.

Mark.