ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
Looks brilliant well worth all the hassle !!

When do you think you will be out in it ?

Well I am knackered :) I am off to Dubai tommorow for two weeks to relax :) It is a nice throught that while I am away the car will be getting running and setup by NM :) I guess they will take two weeks to work through my job list so I should get it back towards the end of September and then its track day.

I have been invited to race in the new 90 min Britcar production saloon race at brands on Nov 19th but that is dependant on me getting some track time before of at least two track days. I will keep this thread updated at all times with pics. I shall be getting a video system next to link in with the race dash so will upadate with vids once I get going :)

Mark..

182cup & 172 racecar
Well done Mark,you got there in the end,I see that Jay has already mentioned the fan fixings,ours did fall off.

Have a nice holiday.

BMW Z4
Well done Mark,you got there in the end,I see that Jay has already mentioned the fan fixings,ours did fall off.

Have a nice holiday.

I just went in the garage and it feels very empty LOL. Yes got there in the end, 9 months of work pheww, not for faint hearted. Now it all begins ehh. Going to be well nervous in my first race I can feel it.

Lionel Richie
take that huge metal ring off the fan, turn it round and wire it up the other way (yes i know it say not to do that, but i checked with kenlowe and they said its fine to do)

fits much better and is a lot more secure

sort that bloody ride height too!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wow, so it's actually out of the garage!!! Looks great outside lol.

I can't actually believe that the car is 99% finished, we have put so much effort into this build it will be throughly satisfying when we get it out on track! Fingers crossed everything goes well at NM and we can get a few test days or track days in before the Brit car race.

Have a good holiday mate, see you when you get back.

BMW Z4
take that huge metal ring off the fan, turn it round and wire it up the other way (yes i know it say not to do that, but i checked with kenlowe and they said its fine to do)

Metal ring Fred? NM can sort the ride height out for me :)

Evo 5 RS
Wow, so it's actually out of the garage!!! Looks great outside lol.

I can't actually believe that the car is 99% finished, we have put so much effort into this build it will be throughly satisfying when we get it out on track! Fingers crossed everything goes well at NM and we can get a few test days or track days in before the Brit car race.

Have a good holiday mate, see you when you get back.

Whats going on with yours!!

I too have been watching this post,car is looking great will pop down to your pit garage to say hello and good luck before the race :)

BMW Z4

Being sorted Fred. Changed the suspension from KW street to AST race.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Very impressive build mate. Not read up on your progress for a while but I'm happy you got there.

Well looking forward to seeing it race now but it looks too good to race! Lol

TrackCar & F30 330d
Being sorted Fred. Changed the suspension from KW street to AST race.

Should be slightly stiffer at the rear with those on ;)

Are NM fitting them and then setting the suspension up or will it just go back to them for set up after you've fitting them?

BMW Z4
Should be slightly stiffer at the rear with those on ;)

Are NM fitting them and then setting the suspension up or will it just go back to them for set up after you've fitting them?

NM are fitting them and then setting the suspension and corner weighting up Chris. Sportline 11's to start with. Once I can drive it I will go full race on ths suspension. Gonna get an ATL tank next to go in the boot.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Did you need an ATL Tank for the race in November? I can't remember if you said the rules said you needed one. And can you refuel during the race?

BMW Z4
Did you need an ATL Tank for the race in November? I can't remember if you said the rules said you needed one. And can you refuel during the race?

No not needed and yes you can refuel.

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delay in replying, it's a bit manic here at the moment.

The current regulations (MSA Yearbook J.5.2.1 page 144) require, among other things, the fuel tank to be isolated from the drivers compartment. If you mounted the fuel cell inside your car it would need to be in a sealed box. Any fuel lines passing through the drivers compartment would also need to be either protected or metal braided with screwed sealing joints. Although I can't find a specific regulation I certainly wouldn't be happy with the dry break refueling point in the side window. I believe there is a real danger in the heat of the moment refuelling, that a plastic window would not be sufficiently strong. All the hoses for the refuelling system would also need to be encased.

There is no specific regulation regarding the swirl pot. Fitting one or not is entierly up to you.

If you retain the original tank you can use any filler cap you choose providing it meets the MSA yearbook regulations K.4, 6 & 14.1.2. However it will need to comply with regulation Q.19.1.4 page 270. Also if competing in Britcar it will have to have a proper dry break refuelling system, there are no exceptions to this!

I suggest you give the MSA yearbook sections J, K & Q a good read

ATL saver cell comes with a box so thats sorted. The fueling line can go through the rear quarter bulkhead.

TrackCar & F30 330d
That would keep the centre of gravity down keeping it in the Same place.

65L means you'll still need to refuel for the race in Nov.

Mark how many ltrs is the ATL Saver cell?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wow 170 ltr, suppose the Dakar rally cars probably use one of those.

100ltr sounds like a more realistic and appropriate tank for what you need. Do you know how big the other Brit car fuel tanks are? Is 100ltr a standard size?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Can you not get the ATL Tank and then get a swirl pot to suck the fuel out of the tank and a pump & regulator to feed the Injectors. Would that work?

BMW Z4
Wow 170 ltr, suppose the Dakar rally cars probably use one of those.

100ltr sounds like a more realistic and appropriate tank for what you need. Do you know how big the other Brit car fuel tanks are? Is 100ltr a standard size?

Well for Britcar 24 hour you can START the race with up to 120 litres of fuel on board BUT when you refuel/pit this rule applies

Each car may only be refuelled by means of dry break refuelling equipment and a 25 litre Dump
Churn. Each car may take on 2x 25 ltr of fuel at each pit stop, the 2 re-fuelling churns must be
clearly marked with graduated markings to show the amount of fuel contained therein at any one
time.

SO you could put that nice custom clio ATL tank in/under the car at 65 litres capacity and then fill it to 50 litres when you pit each time. Don't know how long 50 litres gives you at race pace mind you. A hour maybe?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Well for Britcar 24 hour you can START the race with up to 120 litres of fuel on board BUT when you refuel/pit this rule applies

Each car may only be refuelled by means of dry break refuelling equipment and a 25 litre Dump
Churn. Each car may take on 2x 25 ltr of fuel at each pit stop, the 2 re-fuelling churns must be
clearly marked with graduated markings to show the amount of fuel contained therein at any one
time.

SO you could put that nice custom clio ATL tank in/under the car at 65 litres capacity and then fill it to 50 litres when you pit each time. Don't know how long 50 litres gives you at race pace mind you. A hour maybe?

Hmmm well in that case it theres not much of a benefit of carrying a 100ltr in the car because of the added higher weight and higher centre if gravity. So you might as well start the race with 65Ltrs and when you come in then fill it with 50ltrs.

We just need to know how much fuel your car uses when your fully on it and we'll then know what sort of fuel you need to start with to make the most effective pit stop.

TrackCar & F30 330d
So Tony for a 90min race we'd fill it 65 ltrs to start and then do a splash and dash and just fuel it for the remaining laps so 25ltrs (ish)

Or put 45 ltrs in to start and then refuel and add another 45ltrs?

What do you think would be better for tyre wear & lap times and pit stop times?

In a 90min race do you think a set of semi cut slicks will last?

182cup & 172 racecar
So Tony for a 90min race we'd fill it 65 ltrs to start and then do a splash and dash and just fuel it for the remaining laps so 25ltrs (ish)

Everything depends on how the car is set up.
We ran on fumes at Mallory test day,then filled it up to race start amount,I could feel a slight difference but the lap times were identical,which did shock us all,even Fred.
If your on about Britcar,then the pit stops from what I remember are a standard time,60 seconds or 90 seconds,so you will have to work it out within that.
It doesn't take long to dump 40ltr fuel in.
I would be prepared to change the front tyres if they need it or not.
With the fuel,you need more to start with as you never know when you are going to come in,if you have clear air and can get some tidy laps in,you would be pissed off if you had to come in and refuel.

BMW Z4

For Britcar 24 hour there IS an advantage to running the full 120 litres in that you would do at least one less pit stop because you could run about 2 hours on that at 1/litre/min. After that it is 50 litres a pop so then it's a moot point. For the production saloon champs they are launching it says you must use Dunlops so I am assuming slicks here and then the Direzzas could be used as an inter.

Mark.

Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Evening Mark,

been busy making the plug for this centre console panel, making some good progress so far, the main body is done with the 2 sides, just waiting for some fibreglass to go off then I will add some more. Pics to follow shortly mate.

Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Right then some progress pics as promised, the template you sent me made out of cardboard would of been a complete ballache to convert into a plug so I have started again from scratch.

Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Started cutting the 2 sides which are both totally different towards the top to give the panel a directional change towards the driver
IMAG0044.jpg

Here are the 2 sides being sanded to the critical mouning points to the sil and the crossmember are in line
IMAG0043.jpg

Here is it lined up next to the template you supplied, now it was a case of using cardboard backed up with grp ready for sanding and high build primer.

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

Now the tedious task of building up the outer profile with grp then a hell of a lot of sanding to get the edges perfect, the high build primer, then poilsh and finally I can make a mould.

Doesnt really look like much but there is a few hours already in this as each cardboard panel has to be done individually meaning it takees about 2 hrs for each application of grp to cure.

More to come, thanks for looking.

Qashcow
I'd put £300 on a carbon exige roof vent not working!!

Looks good, finished article should look awesome too