ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

172 cup, Impreza P1
Just wondering about endurance racing. I usually take my car out for 25-30 minute sessions on a trackday then let it cool.

What have you chosen for brake pads, brake discs and also engine cooling (radiator, oil cooler) for endurance racing.

BMW Z4
If the car gets used for endurance racing then lots more will be changed. At the moment it has been devloped for TDT with 45 min races. After the shakedown we have decided to add an oil cooler and I will also now get some softer tires as we struggled to get heat into the Direzzas on such a cold damp day. I am also adding back in the mirror adjuster on the switch panel.Mark

182 trackday racer
If the car gets used for endurance racing then lots more will be changed. At the moment it has been devloped for TDT with 45 min races. After the shakedown we have decided to add an oil cooler and I will also now get some softer tires as we struggled to get heat into the Direzzas on such a cold damp day. I am also adding back in the mirror adjuster on the switch panel.Mark

Did you even consider going without an oilcooler?

182 trackday racer
Yes based on early advice, but now we have run it we can see it's needed. How many rows do you think is optimum?

I can imagen, did first trackday without and temperatures went up to over 140c... not good.

At first I went for a Mocal 10row 235mm wide (same as Ktec sells in their kit) but the car was still a bit on the hot side so I upgradet to a 13row and I think its perfect now. Never over 100c even at a very hot day. May need to tejp it over on a cold day though even with a thermostat.

And I measure temp in the sump. So 100 degrees is before the cooler so oil in is a fair bit cooler than that.

And a final tip... I went for a steel braided hose at first but after a year they looked like sh*t, a lot of sharp metal pieces sticking out and they may well have punctured the tubing. They also rubb a lot on everything they get in contact with.
I had a local workshop press custom hyduralic hoses of same quality as in excavators and such. They are cheap payed about £15 for both. These have rubber cover, and several layers of metal inside, not as flexibe as a single layer braided hose but bulletproof and wount eat everything away in the enginebay.

Last edited:

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Have you thought about water cooling the oil? Im considering doing this on my rally car. Just need a small electric pump with a small rad and a heat exchanger oil filter housing. Advantages are you can turn it on/off whenever you want and unlike and oil cooler if it get damaged all your going to spill is water and not all your oil so it wont put you out of a race.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
No one does, but you can get the oil filter housing from renault. Then all you need is a small rad some hose and a pump. Will probably work out a bit more expensive but for me its worth it as it means the cars not gonna empty its sump onto the road when the cooler gets wacked.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Will this fit my Cup? I'll buy it now if it does:D

AFAIK but im pretty sure you need the part the screws into the block and the nut that holds it on also. Prob best to pop down to your Renault dealer to see what bits you need.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I use a laminova oil cooler to cool the gearbox oil on my other car. It fits in the cooling system and oil passes through it. It works very very well and they're nice and compact. Downside is they ain't cheap. I will be using one to cool the oil on my track car eventually.
I'll get some pictures up of it.

182cup & 172 racecar
This sort of thing

moc_oil-water-cooler.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's the one! Excellent bit of kit. You can strip them down in the event of engine failure and clean them out as well. It adds maybe 5-8 oC to the coolant temperature at the very most.

182 trackday racer
Super 1600 race car uses laminova as far as I know. Top notch product but comes with a price.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What size is yours, looked but trying to work out what's what, get it wrong and the price goes up considerably.
take it you have it for a Clio - cup etc..

Your better off ringing them to discuss your requirements and they'll point you in the right direction. From memory I bought the smallest one they do as it was originally used to keep my straight cut gearbox cool, but now it's going into my track Clio. Yeah it's a cup.

I'll measure it tomorrow and post up the size. I'll try and dig out the receipt as well.

alfa 145/Clio 197cup
Ace project you have there. :clap:

Just one thing, your rain light, when you have that on and the rear window is wet you'll get a lot of glare with that, are you boxing it in?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Just looked at those pics again and cant believe I finally got it finished and out on the track :)

Chrispy drove it and had a massive smile on his face :) I even let him have the last drive of the day. He deserved it as without his hard work and help it would not have been finsihed this year. Funny though as my clear instructions on his first outing were, take it steady and do 2 or 3 sighters. Ten laps flat out later LOL ah the exhuberance of youth eh :)

Hehe, its been a pleasure to build the car, and it was a great feeling to actually drive it. Put quite a lot of time and effort into the car and it all good because it does handly very well indeed.

So thanks once again Mark for letting me drive it :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I've sort of read the above comments, but I just have a 13row Mocal oil cooler with a sandwhich plate.

And i mounted mine here.

IMG_5015.jpg

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

A happy new year to you all, lets hope its a prosperous one :)

So a short update. Not much going on over winter for me but here are some pictures of the finished electronics and also my new oil cooler (yet to fit)

dataloggerfront.jpg

dataloggerrear.jpg

dataloggerrear1.jpg

electronics1.jpg

electronics2.jpg

electronics3.jpg

electronics4.jpg

oilcooler.jpg

oilcooler.jpg

switchpanelfront.jpg

switchpanelfront1.jpg

So whats next for the project. Well I have now entered into Track day Trophy for this year and the first race is end of March a Brands hatch. I shall do a couple of track days in Feb early March at brands before the race to get the car setup. Then we will see how we go. I am in class B the top class as they have lost class A so should be interesting :)

Mark

182cup & 172 racecar
Looks nice Mark,a true single seater now, with all that on the floor.

How come they have lost class A ?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
nice chap. i like that set-up,
i plan to keep all my electronics like that up in the scuttle panel but it does look extremely neat how you have approached it

BMW Z4
Looks nice Mark,a true single seater now, with all that on the floor.

How come they have lost class A ?

Dunno Tony to be honest. They have added a class E so I guess they want to attract more cheaper to run cars. At 168 at wheels and 964 with me in it im nearly top of class B now.

Trackday Trophy
Team Trophy
Class A - 175 - 200
Class B - 150 - 175Class B - 150 - 175
Class C - 125 - 150Class C - 125 - 150
Class D - 100 - 125Class D - 100 - 125
Class E - 75 - 100

Gonna try your tweak on the rear Tony as mine was very light rear end through craners too

Paralell
No camber
Remove ARB

BMW Z4
nice chap. i like that set-up,
i plan to keep all my electronics like that up in the scuttle panel but it does look extremely neat how you have approached it

Yeh makes it easy to work on being there, I am VERY impressed with Northampton Motorsports neatness on the wiring. Am I gonna see you at a track day this year?