ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

illy 2.. project thread

Illy is about to start the second phase of his life

From Rat to Race :D

illy as he is now...after loosing his engine and gearbox

PICT2761.jpg

PICT2767.jpg

PICT2769.jpg

Plans!!!

Body wise.... Rid it of rust, carbon and fibre glass panels, polycarbs, cage - Respray

We were planning on fitting a 172 engine and gearbox, but this conversion is become to popular, we were set to sell up and give up, till Laura found this on ebay

663f_1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:MEWN:IT&ih=010

A 175bhp Formula Renault F3R 2.0L 8V :lol: ...Lucky for us Paul (ebay guy) was looking for a 172 engine for his Formula Renault... so we have come to a deal and go to Devon next weekend

Paul has also got 2x Spare Formula Renault Mad'in 8x13 split rims for us.... 2 down... 2 to go lol

Results from yesterdays 650mile round trip :)

Engine
P1000904.jpg

P1000906.jpg

P1000909.jpg

P1000910.jpg

P1000911.jpg

P1000914.jpg

P1000916.jpg

P1000917.jpg

Rims
P1000921.jpg

P1000922.jpg

Donar car with new F4R in place
P1000888.jpg

P1000889.jpg

P1000890.jpg

P1000896.jpg

Breaking A 172 Replica
Won't it be slower?

Surely all the power will be right up top and will have no torque, so unable to pull the extra weight of the willy?

Sam

Won't be slower....Illy will weigh around 700kg ish when its finished... so only 200kg heavier than a formula renault... can't see it being a problem tbh......it will be very peaky:D

53 Clio's & counting
should be good fun mate,out of interest how much did you pay for the illy in the 1st place? and what you doin with the willy lump lol

oh and i take it from the stickers nick built the engine lol,if he did iy WILL be plenty fast enough....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Whats the height of that engine with the inlet fitted?

On the f3 car its not an issue, but in the clio its going to clear the bonnet by a few inches surely? Very cool tho!

2001 A(wful)uthentique
Looks promising! Will keep an eye on this thread :)

Worked on Formula Renaults, and the engines at college. Nice and easy to work with.

EDIT: If you ever in need of some parts for the engine, give us a shout ;)

Russ_16v - illy was £900.... engine was sold before FCS... had to lend it for the feature lol

Rich_16v - This threads for you baby;) ....Using 5 Turbo brakes

mattupson - Cheers... Might be intouch;)

combine04 - Fingers crossed

Tom - Hole or buldge in the bonnet:approve:

Gray - Knowsit!!!:eek:

Cheers guys

Tangoed Works
Massive inlet manifold, wil it fit under the bonnet? Block looks similar to the volvo 480 turbo. Will be good to see this when its done.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
respect for trying this but i cant help thinking this is gonna be more trouble than its worth.

you went from a reliable 2.0 16v 172bhp engine, which would prolly do 100k trouble free miles.

to a highly tuned 2.0 8v engine which has 175bhp, which will need a rebuild every 1000 miles?

that dont make alot of sence to me.....what did i miss?

Turbo'd lude, Astra
respect for trying this but i cant help thinking this is gonna be more trouble than its worth.

you went from a reliable 2.0 16v 172bhp engine, which would prolly do 100k trouble free miles.

to a highly tuned 2.0 8v engine which has 175bhp, which will need a rebuild every 1000 miles?

We never went from a 172 engine... we bought a donor car, planned to do that conversion after FCS but now everyone is doing it... so we wanted to be different!

The illiams is not going to be used as a every day car... so whats wrong with having a highly tuned engine out of a formula renault, that has just been rebuilt?....

So what if we have to rebuild it every 1000 miles... we are doing it to be different!! Something that no one else has done, and probably couldn't be arsed with doing it!!! Hence why its called a project thread!!

You missed the fact that every car winstons had so far has been different... thats why hes not doing the 172 conversion!

1.2 mk1 clio

Like to see you keep up with it mofo :rasp:

I went from a F7R 150bhp Williams engine and was going to fit a F4R which in most cases is lucky if it makes f7R power

F4R and F7R are heavy compared to the F3R... so will make the car much more nimble

The higher the rev limit... the sooner it will need rebuilding, its a track/sprint toy and will be lucky if it sees 1000miles in 2 years

Shed.
i never knew renaultsport did a 2L 8v !?

whats the rev range of the thing.

if you wanted to be different why didnt you source a Mivec or even a Vtec-i

Pass on rev limit

Engine
1998cc Renault F3R FRS engine. The engines have been modified to give around 175BHP via a remapped and sealed ECU and special Renault Sport camshaft/pistons etc.

:approve:

VaVa
Superb! Nice to see N.D.Hill has his name on it... He just gets on with building race engines rather than talking about it.,,,

Can't wait to see what periscope arrangement you come up with for seeing over the inlet manifold. lol