ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Trophy really much better than 182 FF with CUP packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Metcalfe said to me that he stopped using his Trophy to commute to work because it was too harsh over the bumps.

Said it was fun to start with and then got tiresome.

Metcalfe is about 104. It rides better than my Abarth 500 did, that's for sure.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I love my trophy. To me it seems more special than a standard 182 due to the extra trinkets that make it stand out. I don't care how many are out there, I just like it because its over engineered.

Sachs shocks
recaros
v6 spoiler

quality additions to me and I've not had to change anything to make it better in the looks department well apart from the melted steering wheel!

would have been cool if they were white but the red is nice. It's funny how a lot of folk think there variant is the best, I don't really care, I think all the clios are cool in their own right.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I don't get why some don't like the red paint, I think it's a great colour.

Can someone explain how a 172 cup looks better than a normal 172 as well? It's the same car but with turinis and spoiler (exterior wise)
Granted they come in mondial blue and other 172's don't, but an iceberg cup is the same bar turinis.
Baffles me when people say they bought a cup because it looks better than a 172. Stick turinis on and you are done IMO of course

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Love mine and never getting rid of it. :) The Sachs dampers can be firm but also make for some fantastically spirited B-road drives.

mini-trophy.jpg

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I sold my 182 FF to buy a Trophy. Not regretted it one bit!

If you can afford the premium it is worth every penny.

OP - while everyone is agreed that the Sachs dampers on the Trophy means it's a better drive, the improvement is marginal.

It's Tommo.'s comment above that stands out for me. It's a shame there aren't more who've tried both & commented here.

Ultimately all RenaultSport Clios are fantastically capable cars, whether you spend a bit more to own a Trophy with its limited run plaque & status as a top driver's car, is your decision.

Not only is it a superb car to own but it's also a great bit of marketing by Renault.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I like Trophys but i don't see where the premium lies with them and normal 182's. Different ponies for different beaches i suppose!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol at the slating of 172 cups in here, all clios have a use. When the track day bug hit the UK, Renault realised quickly what they could make and the cup was a car built to be a track car and are arguably the best of the range out of the box for that purpose hence everyone fitting Cup parts.

Revised shockers/springs, better geomatery, no aircon, no abs/better system, lighter to name a few.

Agreed, for a trackway the RenaultSaver Clio Cup 172 made a lot of sense.
although they could have afforded to drop the price further really IMHO considering the savings they made.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
It's a shame there aren't more who've tried both & commented here.

I might be able to help there ;)

Had a 182 with both cup packs back in 2005, then a 172 Cup in 2007, then 3 Trophy's from 2010 onwards ...

Also sold a 197 Cup with Recaros as it wasnt a patch on the Trophy.

You buy a 1.2, you take sh1t.
You join Cliosport, you take more sh1t.
Your post count gets a little higher, you take less sh1t.
Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere of Trophy ownership and you've forgotten what sh1t even looks like.
Welcome to the layer cake.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just checked on RenaultSport Heritage site and it says £3000 cheaper?

I could have sworn it was nearer two but I guess Renault would know :)

Just found this article though, which also puts it a lot nearer 2K less for the Tesco Value 172 as well:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/15219/renaultsport-clio-172-cup

That quotes 12995 for the Super Saver and 15095 for the normal 172, so 2100 different.

Edit:
Just checked on heritage and it quotes 12,995 for the price of a the 172, and it quotes that at the same time (from Nov onwards) the normal 172 was reduced to 14,595, so therefore only 1600 quid difference.

You seem to be quoting the Jan 2000 price of 15,995, but they werent for sale at that price at the time the cup was out.

So TBH I think my initial recollection of 2K is probably about the sensible average to quote really mate?

Last edited:
I could have sworn it was nearer two but I guess Renault would know :)

Just found this article though, which also puts it a lot nearer 2K less for the Tesco Value 172 as well:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/15219/renaultsport-clio-172-cup

That quotes 12995 for the Super Saver and 15095 for the normal 172, so 2100 different.

Edit:
Just checked on heritage and it quotes 12,995 for the price of a the 172, and it quotes that at the same time (from Nov onwards) the normal 172 was reduced to 14,595, so therefore only 1600 quid difference.

You seem to be quoting the Jan 2000 price of 15,995, but they werent for sale at that price at the time the cup was out.

So TBH I think my initial recollection of 2K is probably about the sensible average to quote really mate?

I was just reading figures of the site mate :)

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You're also paying for the Halo model as well, they will warrant a higher price just for this and the stamped limited edition, I'm sure in 50 years time the Trophy will be a true classic like the R5 Turbo and R5GTT2 but not for a long long long time, more people need to stack theirs in the mean time for it to appreciate.

Cup In bits
I'll just leave this here from your link Chip lol.

Based on the highly regarded Renaultsport Clio 172, the Cup combines decent value for money with plenty of power and unique looks. Priced from only £12,995, the newcomer has been built by the firm's competition arm, and many of these models will find their way on to race tracks. Unique alloys and bright blue paintwork distinguish it from LESSER models, while closer inspection reveals a distinctive rear spoiler and a front bumper fitted with a deeper dam.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/15219/renaultsport-clio-172-cup#ixzz2eUTL2VpP

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at a 172 Cup simply being a cheaper model!

It was the forerunner to what became Cup suspension packs as it was similarly revised over the standard 172. The CS masses deem Cup suspension an absolute no brainer must have option...and as far as 172s go, if you wanted Cup suspension on it from the factory, you had to have a 172 Cup.

89kgs lighter is a huge amount as well...so it's far from a pointless cheaper model.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'll just leave this here from your link Chip lol.

Based on the highly regarded Renaultsport Clio 172, the Cup combines decent value for money with plenty of power and unique looks. Priced from only £12,995, the newcomer has been built by the firm's competition arm, and many of these models will find their way on to race tracks. Unique alloys and bright blue paintwork distinguish it from LESSER models, while closer inspection reveals a distinctive rear spoiler and a front bumper fitted with a deeper dam.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/15219/renaultsport-clio-172-cup#ixzz2eUTL2VpP

That is indeed how the 2 litre poverty models were distinguished from the other lesser poverty spec models like 1.2 etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL at a 172 Cup simply being a cheaper model!

It was the forerunner to what became Cup suspension packs as it was similarly revised over the standard 172. The CS masses deem Cup suspension an absolute no brainer must have option...and as far as 172s go, if you wanted Cup suspension on it from the factory, you had to have a 172 Cup.

89kgs lighter is a huge amount as well...so it's far from a pointless cheaper model.

Was both things.
Cheaper to be better basis for track work.
Some minor upgrades to stop it feeling cheap.

Great marketing IMHO.

Cup In bits
That is indeed how the 2 litre poverty models were distinguished from the other lesser poverty spec models like 1.2 etc.

No mention of the lower models in that write up Chippy, it was referring to other sport models I.e your turbo ;).

The cup was the ultimate in the ClioSport evolution for track bashing, it went the other way with the trophy when fitting climate etc and it became a less focused car, Renault would have you think otherwise with their marketing.

Cup In bits
Yes it was the ultimate cheap variant for trackday abuse. Totally agreed.

Your hung up on prices here. Money aside the 172 cup was the most focused car and a 182 with cup packs would be the best road car to live with in terms of spec and comfort. That's just my opinion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Your hung up on prices here. Money aside the 172 cup was the most focused car and a 182 with cup packs would be the best road car to live with in terms of spec and comfort. That's just my opinion.

They took away all the nice toys that make the 172 such an epic all rounder. That cheapened it.

The upgrades they gave were great but cost nothing, drill a hole in a different place on a wishbone, remove aircon, remove leather, removing auto lights and wipers and xenons, tiny bit more plastic in the mould for the spoiler, drill different size hole in a shock valve, buy in a load of aftermarket wheels that already existed so needed no design.

It was a great way to get the cost down while make the car slightly more track focused.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Minor upgrades?

CS disagrees with you Chip, Cup suspension packs are an absolute must have option...if you don't have them you're a r****d iirc.

Cup packed 182 suspension is different hubs and bigger bearings etc, cup 172 suspension is only holes drilled differently.

Cup In bits
Trophy didn't have climate?

No they don't, meant air con.

They took away all the nice toys that make the 172 such an epic all rounder. That cheapened it.

The upgrades they gave were great but cost nothing, drill a hole in a different place on a wishbone, remove aircon, remove leather, removing auto lights and wipers and xenons, tiny bit more plastic in the mould for the spoiler, drill different size hole in a shock valve, buy in a load of aftermarket wheels that already existed so needed no design.

It was a great way to get the cost down while make the car slightly more track focused.

Less costs more in today's market when in reality it is usually cheaper to produce, Renault took the right approach and they sold thousands, nearly as many as the normal 172 iirc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Less costs more in today's market when in reality it is usually cheaper to produce, Renault took the right approach and they sold thousands, nearly as many as the normal 172 iirc.

From a sale point of view it was awesome, you make out you are giving extra for things like "track focus" and "lightness" etc so it sounds better.

When what you are really doing is selling a much more basic model, which means you can do so far cheaper, so you are able to give people the "upgrade" (really a downgrade in reality!) to the cup AND save them money, salesmen must have found them very easy to flog at the time as under 13K in 2003 for a genuinely good hot hatch was epic value even if it was a very basic version, they managed to add appeal to the brand despite the fact they were actually just taking stuff away in reality other than the few minor geo changes etc!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Minor upgrades?

CS disagrees with you Chip, Cup suspension packs are an absolute must have option...if you don't have them you're a r****d iirc.

FLOL at this comment, Standard is the way forward, Coilovers are more readily available and cheaper IIRC, my Spax Coilys are much comfier than any crap that Renought produced, how many people here are on the same Shocks and Springs the car came with? you'll all have to buy new ones at some point and this is definitely a better option that Renault rear shocks breaking all the time.

RB 182 FF
The best car to have is a 182FF with tweaked freshened suspension, get it cammed and mapped then it's the quickest and most comfortable version of a 172/182... simples! :D The ground you'd gain on straights against a Trophy would cancel out the marginal more capable handling of the Trophy and you can do it all in comfort! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.