ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm off to collect this in the morning. 86k miles and FSH, Renault service inc. Belts, waterpump and depahser done at 81k.

$(KGrHqJ,!igFC2Sz,jymBRCYu-V5w!~~60_12.JPG

Plans are coilovers, Whiteline RARB, polybushes and turbo kit. I'm not going to go very far with modifying it. The turbo kit will be fitted after my wife has used it to learn in. At long last she has decided it's time to get her licence :)

It's replacing my current 'fun' car which is a Focus RS powered Mk2 Fiesta. Unfortunately due to the extensive spec of it I'm having to break it :(

I just hope I don't regret replacing the Fiesta with the Clio!!

DSC_00212.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Ph1 172

Well I picked it up today and I don't regret it. What a great little car it is, a bit slow compared with what I'm used to but the handling and the car in general is really good. I'm impressed!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Welcome mate, nice to see you've bought a proper car....;)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well a couple of months later I've decided to get a few pictures up.

The daily Focarse is black with silver wheels and the Clio is silver with black wheels!
IMAG0497.jpg

First mod I did was some wind deflectors.
IMAG0536.jpg

Gave it a quick wash and got some clear indicators and a set of pressed plates from Dubmeister.
IMAG0594.jpg

IMAG0648.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

On the inside I'm going to leave it be unless in a couple of years it ends up a track ****. So for the time being I tidied it up with a retrimmed wheel from Snappy.
IMAG0667.jpg

Then got a bargain from Halfords in the form of a Kenwood BT42U, does bluetooth, USB, aux etc.
IMAG0668.jpg

I was after some lows so I bought a low milage Bilstein B14 kit but after using it for a short while and reading about refurbs I thought about getting something more suitable. More on that later.
IMAG0584.jpg

The car came with GT Radial Champiro tyres in 195/50-R15 which went in favour of some Federal 595 RS-R 205/50-R15
IMAG0665.jpg

The brakes were changed for some Brembo HC discs with DS2500 565H pads, they didn't need any modifying to fit either :) whilst I did these I added some 16mm front spacers and 5mm rear spacers to get the wheels filling the arches a bit better without scrubbing issues.
IMAG0666.jpg

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

I ordered polybushes from Kam Racing but they sent 23mm outer bushes rather than 22mm. So I bought a complete front 182 Cup setup off ebay for cheap. ARB is going on but the wishbones were standard :( so I ordered a new pair of Cup wishbones from Renault which are the right ones.
IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

So the wishbones are being fitted by a friend at a local garage along with braided lines, ATE blue fluid and some Cooksport springs with nearly new Cup shocks and top mounts.
IMAG0692.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

IMAG0691.jpg

I'll get the car back tomorrow and a couple of photos when its settled.

On the engine side of things the first jobs were to replace the knackered dogbone and exhaust hanger.
IMAG0679.jpg

IMAG0678.jpg

The standard exhaust sounded like it had died inside so I replaced it with a Ktec recessed system, I'm undecided on cutting the bumper yet as I fancy a smaller tailpipe or even weld a 90 deg. bend on there.
IMAG0680.jpg

IMAG0681.jpg

I've got more bits stashed away to fit soon so I'll follow up on that sometime.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I'll take a couple of better photos of the car on its new suspension this weekend but you can see the arch gaps. Spot on IMO.

The springs are a credit to Josh at Cooksport. They ride really well and feel great. They are fitted along with Cup shocks and Cup wishbones so whether that makes much difference I don't know but it feels a different car now.

IMAG0710.gif

IMAG0710.gif

Also bought a load of parts to freshen up the steering, still need to order the rack bushes from Renault. Going to do the filters too and order some 5w50 oil for tracking it this year.

IMAG0713.jpg

GSXR + KDX220

Coming along nicely, I bet it feels so much better to drive with all the fresh suspension components and RSR's on now :)

LOVE the mk2 Fiesta too, I bet that causes a stir on the road!!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah the Fiesta was a bit of a head turner!

This was it at Oulton last year, its the 2nd one going past.

th_Oulton17-2-12.jpg

For some reason the links above showing the drop didn't work after I edited them due to moving them on Photobucket.

IMAG0712.jpg

IMAG0710.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Took it out for a good drive on Saturday, still very impressed with the cooksport springs on the cup shocks and wishbones. Only issue is the tyres catching the arch liners on full lock.

Then gave it a polish and wax. The springs have settled a bit more now too.

IMAG0721.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Did a remap on it about 10 days ago. Definitely noticing the difference, a little more torque down low so it feels smoother all the way to the much higher redline.

Got the Whiteline RARB on today. Back end feels a bit more planted. Its set to soft right now but I might set it to hard on track days.

IMAG0733.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

The current silver side strips are a bit tatty so I bought some standard black ones to replace them with. Freshend them up with some Halfords bumper paint. Still a bit undecided between silver and black

IMAG0747.jpg

IMAG0748.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I think I'll get them fitted when the new clips turn up :)

Got rid of the horrible grille today and removed an old sticker off the bumper.
IMAG0749.jpg

IMAG0750.jpg

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Nice! Black side strips suit it with the black wheels. Also I'm envious of the lows, cooksports seem to drop them bit more than the eibachs iv got on mine

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Yes if mine where still on springs then it would be the Cooksports and id be putting the Eibachs up for sale.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers guys :) Yeah the Cooksport springs are spot on

I picked up a mint pair of Cobra Daytonas today :) hoping to have the frames by the end of the week.

IMAG0762-1.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I tried one of the Cobras but it sat further back than the standard seats which is no good with the little ones in the car so they got picked up yesterday. Shame really as they gave a great driving position and are very comfy. Put the drivers seat back in without the spacers though and it feels much better than it did before.
IMAG0775.jpg

IMAG0779.jpg
IMAG0778.jpg

The headlights were looking a bit yellow and crazed so I decided to have a quick go on them. I had some 2500 wet&dry lying around and I bought a Megs headlight kit.

Taped up and OS light sanded
IMAG0770.jpg

After polishing you can see the difference between OS and NS.
IMAG0771.jpg

Both done
IMAG0783.jpg

Close up :)
IMAG0772.jpg

Refurbed the side strips in black and then gave it a good clean and a wax. I tried some Demon Shine spray on cleaner stuff, then cleaned it off with a Karcher. Very impressed!
IMAG0784.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Taking the car back to a friend's garage today to have a few things sorted.

First is a 182 manifold and a Ktec link sports cat.
IMAG0788-1.jpg

The Piper cams are going in along with a new belt, seals and dephaser. The rest of the belt kit was done 5k ago so just changing the belt.
IMAG0694.jpg

IMAG0785-1.jpg

All the tie rods etc. on page 1 are being done at the same time as some new rack bushes.
IMAG0786-1.jpg

The rear brakes need doing so got the ones with bearings and ABS rings, the braided hoses and ATE blue fluid are being done too.
IMAG0789-1.jpg

I think the gearbox mount has had it so fitting a Ktec/Vibratechnics mount. I got the engine mount too but I'm going to leave that for now as its not long had a new genuine Renault one fitted.
IMAG0787-1.jpg

The AC is being removed, not sure if I'll regret this or not. It's being replaced with a Pure Motorsport kit.
IMAG0790-1.jpg

And it'll be filled up with this after the service.
IMAG0791-1.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Got my inlet today from ALDevelopments. Pictures hardly do it any justice. Ports matched to Renault gaskets, throttle body area smoothed and mating faces machined.

Price is £150 including delivery for those interested.[

URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/b1in9b1in9/media/X112%20FGM/Engine%20and%20transmission/IMAG0815.jpg.html]
IMAG0815.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0820.jpg

IMAG0821.jpg

IMAG0822.jpg

IMAG0818.jpg

On another note, crank seal is leaking quite badly :( it's only happened since the remap so maybe it hasn't liked the raised rev limit!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Loving the spends! Nice purchases, inlets look awesome

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Bought all the stuff a while ago. I was supposed to be doing a ported and polished head as well but funds have been tight recently.

Whilst the car is in the garage in bits I need to get a new clutch, makes sense to ARP it as well.

Things have improved financially now so I should be getting a gearbox rebuilt with a Quaife diff. Not 100% decided on the ratios yet though but it'll most likely be the standard ones with a shorter final drive.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Gearbox went off to GEARS in Southport, it'll cost a bit more than Agency but I've used them a few times before and they courier it both ways for free.

It'll be running Cup gears so 3.09, 1.86, 1.32, 1.03 and 0.79 with a 4.07 final drive. I couldn't get the 4.21 final I wanted or the 1.09 4th and 0.82 5th.

Thanks to Chip for helping me sort out a Quaife diff. Top blokes you and Steve! :)

Also purchased a new clutch, a few gaskets and seals, ARP bolts (FYI the cheapest place at the moment is Ktec), a pair of new Renault driveshafts with CVs, Yanoo 10% short shift and stiff shift...

I just hope it all gets finished before my trackday on the 23rd, still need a custom map for the Piper cams and the front geo setting up. Cutting it fine :banghead:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Wow mate a few pennies have been spent, im looking forward to your re map.

Be very intreasting to see what the cars like after.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

Great stuff, if the fiesta is anything to go by this will be epic.. Major want for this mate..

Wow mate a few pennies have been spent, im looking forward to your re map.

Be very intreasting to see what the cars like after.

will also be interested in what gains he gets to see how they compare to my cup with the Piper Cams

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

will also be interested in what gains he gets to see how they compare to my cup with the Piper Cams

I'm still debating whether to try and make a trip to Paul at RS Tuning or get Henk to do a map. In the long run I'm planning something else so I'm leaning towards a custom map by Henk at the moment.

I'm still debating whether to try and make a trip to Paul at RS Tuning or get Henk to do a map. In the long run I'm planning something else so I'm leaning towards a custom map by Henk at the moment.

Had mine supplied and fitted + mapping from Dan @ 519, very happy with the results tbh as all it has is a cat back and pipercross filter as supporting mods for the cams, should expect you to see slightly better mid range torque due to the 182 manifold

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Went to the garage again with the ARP bolts and gaskets and my mate pointed out that oil is leaking from the back of the engine from the headgasket. I give up now, wish I'd never bought the stupid car.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Should have bought a better car...:rasp:

​I bet you wish that you had the head done now mate.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yes, I couldn't at the time. I can now though :( ffs

Going to miss the trackday on the 23rd too, at least it won't be rushed though

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

So all the fiesta bits gone now mate?

Yes don't rush it, do it once and do it right. :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

No, got a couple of guys interested in the DTA ECU and still got the intercooler, boost pipes, rad, inlet and some small bits to shift.

I'm considering breaking it right now whilst it's all in bits...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Nooooooo, don't give up. These things are sent to test us mate.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Tbh mate your almost there, you've got the money so crack on with the head work then the gasket gets done as well.

I don't see the point in you buying a mint car as you are pulling it to bits so that you can track it.

I have a mint car and i wont be tracking it, i enjoy cleaning it and buying bits to keep on top of it.

Only mods mine has/will have is a cup spoiler, its on coilovers and maybe some cams at some point.