ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Its Finally, Definately, Absoloutely Here

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

My 172 is ready and awating pick up tommorow from Motorpoint after a 7 week wait!! So if anyone sees a Silver 172 Mk2 52 Plate Driving Down the M66, M62 or M56 and the driver with a Mahhooossiive Grin on his face it will be ME!!!!

Gaz 2130

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

glad to hear it.. its been a long enough wait for you..

Good luck with your spanking new clio :D and remember to laugh at all the poeple that paid 15000 for thiers.. (no offense to anyone that paid that) hehe.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Just out of interest did you get the dials sorted ? or are you gonna get em fixed by renault ?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

im not sure about the dials to be honest, going to go and take a further look at them, and if i aint too bothered then ill take the car and sort them out myself later on, Renault want £415.00 for the proper set, so i am trying to find a set from a Scrapy. Went to Renault Liverpool the other day and they offered me a Brand New MK2 172 in Red Or Silver, absoloutely everything .........................................£13,000!!!!!!! (NOT THE CUP!!) But id have to wait for another 2-3 Weeks.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I hope you enjoy the car, dont get too carried away, the thing is fast and 70mph+ happens in a flash.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 26 November 2002
im not sure about the dials to be honest, going to go and take a further look at them, and if i aint too bothered then ill take the car and sort them out myself later on, Renault want £415.00 for the proper set, so i am trying to find a set from a Scrapy. Went to Renault Liverpool the other day and they offered me a Brand New MK2 172 in Red Or Silver, absoloutely everything .........................................£13,000!!!!!!! (NOT THE CUP!!) But id have to wait for another 2-3 Weeks.

£415 !!!!!! for a set of silver plastic dials... haha.. ye right i would be paying that !!

Renault would have to have securtiy remove me from their parts deparment as I wouldnt be able to walk from laughing..

Screw them, just keep it the way it is then, or get it from a scrappy as you said.

Glad to hear it. Ive had mine since last Friday and the smile hasnt come off my face yet - I think it might be permanently stuck like it!

When it was delivered, the first thing I checked for after reading your story, was the silver dials!! Luckily they were all present and correct. One alloy was scuffed though, which is being repaired at sellers cost.

Hope you enjoy the car!

320d M Sport

Yeah, youll love it, awesome. Just gets better the more you drive and i know that sounds corney but i swear its true. Its the carto have mate.!

Paddy

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Wickid!! The Performance is amazing, been a bit naughty and had it touching 4,000rpm, done 140 miles in it so far. Trip computer isnt working, and there is a loud clicking noise and some movement coming from the drivers window when it goes up and down (need renault to look at it). Other than that i am very happy, £31 to fill it and still just under 3/4 of a tank left (140 miles so far). Taking it to work tommorow to clock up another 110 miles.

Gaz 2130

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

not at all, was cruising along the M56 at about 70mph, noticed this guy in this black golf close up behind me, so i thought i will slow down to 60mph and he will overtake me, did this and he just got even closer, so i thought ill go to 50mph then he will definately overtake, nope. So i left it in 5ft Gear and floored it, i was doing over 70mph in no time, very impressive! Very happy with the car, just a few niggly problems that need ironing out, and then get it up to 600/700miles and bobs your uncle!!

Gaz 2130

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

One thing though, i want to fit Silver Vision Bulbs all round, done the back ones easy 5 min job, but finding it difficult to remove the indicator bulbs from the front light pods, can it be done? Or do i have to undo the two bolts and remove the unit altogether? Also, when i arrived at Motorpoint they said the car was at the local Renault Dealer having a new Xenon Light Bulb Fitted as the orignal one was blown, they said the bulb fitted cost £150!!!!???***??!!

LOL - youve done in a day, what it took me 5 to do!! Mind you I only work 7 miles away!

Ive been very good up until this evening. I hadnt taken it over 4k or 90mph, but I was overtaking a line of traffic this evening up a bypass and wanted to get to the front, so I had to keep it in 3rd. What the hell happens at 5k????? It was like my old turbo! Jeez, I had a smile on my face from the low down pull - thats nothing compared to after 5k!

Dials eh? Got my 172 2 weeks ago, my dials are just black, car was imported so I put it down to that. But my rev counter only goes up to 7000 revs, other 172s go up to 8000, is yours the same?

Still smiling though! Best car Ive driven.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

yes msdew, mine are exactly the same as yours! Only to 7000 & all black, not paying £415 for the other ones though!

msdew - mines imported and it has the aluminium dial surrounds and goes to 8000rpm.

Do either of you two (msdew, or gaz) know which country yours were imported from? Maybe there is a pattern? Mine was Cyprus and is all up to spec - my supplier tells me this is because they are honest people to deal with.

Sorry, forgot to say. I spoke to my importer and mentioned your case Gaz, and he suggested the following: That speedo calibration needs to be more strictly performed for the UK, and that the section has to come out to do that, and maybe some monkey has been putting the wrong dial set on to a batch of 172s, and that when you are questioning Motorpoint, they dont know what it should look like, and are therefore denying responsibility of it.

Dont know whether thats true, or a load of crap but I thought Id mention it.

Also, seeing as your rev counters are wrong, what max speed do you both have on your speedo? Mine is 160

Im not fussed either Gaz.. It still goes some.

The opt gear change light on mine says GAS in green and its down on the right hand side, is yours the same?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

My Revs Go To 7000, and the Speedo to 140, the Gear Change Says GAZ horizontally, and GAS Vertically ( i think, didnt realise what that was but if thats what it is thats what mine says). How do i use the Light Washers on the front bumper? and where does the luggage net attach to/from?

Mine is 52 - its brand new (delivered last week).

If other 172s go to 160 and 8k, and you two go to 140 and 7k, the question is, have yours been calibrated to show the correct speed based on your speedo, or are they calibrated for the other one and showing the wrong data on yours? Although I guess this is a bit of a silly question because Im sure youd notice if you were showing a different speed to how it felt.

Front washers come on with main windscreen washers, just keep it pulled up.

Luggage net has four metal black eye hooks on the boot floor, but its useless, my wife still managed to leak the washing up liquid after her first shopping trip!!

If you dont mind me asking Gaz, how many pennies did it cost on the road? Mine was £12200...

The speedo is fine, on the way to Brands on Sunday followed 2 other 172s kept up no problem and didnt flash through any cameras so the speedo must be spot on.

Interesting you say about the GAS/GAZ light. Take a look at page 1.43 of the owners handbook. That position on the dash is either the over revving light (which is on mine) and is a image of a gearstick, or (quote) "LPG mode operating indicator"

My handbooks in German! Dammit! Have heard that other 172s have the gearstick.

Gonna take it to Renault Saturday and make sure all is in order, and get an english handbook for £20!

Will let you both know how I get on..

Cheers for the feedback fellas.

Gaz, oh yes it does.....:devilish:

Your gonna have to wait abit though until you thrash it, Im just coming up to 1000miles. Started ripping it abit at 600 but now I hear its ready!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

does the engine GGGRRRRR? at the mo when i put my foot down it kind of whistles and flys!!, My mate took me in his 106 GTI to pick it up, and was following me out of Motorpoint, he said he couldnt keep up with me, and i was only staying below 3,500rpm , dont think he was trying.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by msdew on 26 November 2002

Front washers come on with main windscreen washers, just keep it pulled up.

Msdew, these only wash when your lights are switched on mate.

Gaz2130 - The light is an optimum gear change light and it does work. :)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Nah it kicks in about 7k but the rev limiter kicks in around 7.2k - 7.5k so you have to be bl00dy acurate to change at the right moment.

1/4 mile is hard because of this, I found the light would light up and then within a spilt second the rev limiter would cut in.

I did find however if you run upto this light IMHO you dont get the best gear change. I change around 6.5k when the engine is just at the peak of the torque curve.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

msdew-

English handbook is £5 from most dealers, do not pay £20. I got mine posted to me for £5.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

My light comes on around 6.5k stays on for about 1 second enough time to react before limiter kicks in at 7300rpm approx.