ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS 182 Racecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Golf GTD Mk7
It gets to a point where weight isn't everything as we have found out,balance and getting the power down start to become an issue with less weight.

You tried ballast and difference suspension rates? Should help with traction. I assume you mean off the line, not out of corners?

Matt - can you confirm the toothed wheel on the crank/associated mounting point on the adapter plate - is that being used as a TDC / speed pick up?

Yes you can see the CPS mount in the end plate photo you posted. The flywheel/clutch assembly on the FR2.0 meant that a flywheel based crank trigger was a no go.

TrackCar & F30 330d
That sump and aux set up looks fantastic, I hope it works :)

I can't remember if I've asked this but how's your clearance with having et37 wheels and 25mm spacers each side? My tyres rub on the actual arch. I wasn't sure if it's because my slicks are quite wide or if it's just the wide track!

Managed to fit it to the engine today. Ive got all the info from Paul so will stick it up asap.

What sort of front geometry have you dialed in?

TrackCar & F30 330d
I have camber bolts set to max and have the AST topmounts set with + caster. So I can run more camber. I havnt set the car up on a flat floor/ scales so I don't know what the balance is like with all the weight removed. When say it rubs on the arch I mean the actual metal inner arch when the wheels are turned. I could make the topmounts give more negative caster so the front of the tyre isn't as far forward. Can't remember what's best + or - caster

I suspect your only have about a maximum of 3 degrees camber - have you measured it?

I have spoken with Paul @ titan at some length and determined that the sump pan design will be 100% fine in the hatch layout. The windage tray is just that, so as a result there are no real engine layout specific baffles and it is almost totally symettrical once you remove the scraper plates. Paul also provided me with the total system oil capacity and some other useful info.

With that confirmed I moved onto test fitting the parts on the engine:

61.jpg

62.jpg

I need to order the correct seal / crank pulley spacer from Rsport today as the original configuration is to small:

64.jpg

Last job of the evening was to test all of the brake line fittings on the cup master cyclinder in preperation for fitting, it'll need a lick of paint at some point...

58.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
Those brake fixings look mint. Wish I had done that now but I'm just doing kunfer pipe (think it's called that).

Do you know how much brake fluid the 172 cup system will take? I need to order some dot 5 and am not sure how much to order

Does the guy at Titan know how much the engine leans back in the Clio? It looks to me like there'll be a lot of oil sat in your dry sump. I know gravity is the smallest of the forces acting on the oil, but it's pretty dominant sat on the grid.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
But you pump the oil away to an auxiliary tank. My peugeot engine sits at 30 degrees and the dry sump is smaller than that.

182 track, Mk7 ST
I absolutely love the look of this car and the way that it's heading, it's pretty much the plans that i've got for mine but with pink detailing instead of the blue :) and without the extreme engine mods atm lol!

Just one question, how deep is the sunstrip that you've got and where did it come from? Or did you make it yourself out of a large sheet/strip of vinyl as i want something similar but unsure of how deep to go with it?

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
ohh! I see what you mean. I didnt really look too hard at the pictures and I missed the fact the oil pickup is at the front of the engine.
Mine is at the back of the sump. You could run an internal pipe to collect from the more ideal location.

We've got some ideas, I put up some drawings later.

This is the angle Andrew is referring to:

It effectively means that the centre of the outlet sits at 35mm above the lowest point of the sump.

70.jpg

Had a sort out earlier and scrapped/put up for sale a lot of the bits that will never get used.

Had a sit in the seat earlier in the week and for the first time ever I have found a seat that I am too wide for - I think buying the kiddies version might have been a bit of a risk:

67.jpg

69.jpg

John at Rsport is going to drag a 'fatboy' version over from frog land and I'll exchange it next week.

Also wrapped up all of the nice bits and bobs to keep them safe:

68.jpg

Tomorrow the remaining glass is being removed and then it will be off in the afternoon to have the front section of the roll cage manufactured & installed along with the caged rear unit (that will also be welded in with some additional mountings)

You need a diet then, Tampons! Race car needs less weight! Lol.

If you don't fit, you must have got fat since I last saw you! :D

Is this still going on the road? There's a Mini I see everyday driven by some old bint and she has a JMS plate. You need one.

clio r27 f1
yeah just did that lol, what a tit, really good write up this, and such a library of info, keep up the good work

Indeed Brian....

Si, those who want proper gear I suspect. I don't pretend to even begin to understand motorsport automotive electronics, i'll need a crash course when I pick up the kit next week lol!

Yah, possibly a data logger too, although that may be in 2012.

Gone with a selection of readily calibrated sensors for the dash 2 for data on oil temps / pressure etc. Hopefully it will keep the engine safe when the F3 RS dry sump decides it doesn't like being used on a clio lol! I'm just going to have to sit Ollie down and explain to him slowly what each things means...

Status
Not open for further replies.