ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just dodgy electrics at work here or prev. owner 'upgrades'..?

Foz turbo S & a 172
Hi all.

recently bought me first 172 which I'm lovin. But can I ask if 1 or 2 little quirks are common or a previous owners after-market changes..?

when the wipers are turned to intermittent they seem to be sensitised to the rain intensity - light - intermittent, hard rain - fast wipes.. ?!??!

Lights. when in the 'off' position the side lights are on.
when switched to side-lights they go off.
normal service resumes when turned to full headlight.

they are those Xenon bluey lights - are these the standard ones?

Actually about the lights. They are constantly steamed up inside.. Could this be related?

chars..

LongI.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
172 has auto lights and wipers dude.

Auto wipers start when you select the intermitent option. It will wipe once (whether it's raining or not) and then only wipe when rain falls on the sensor (above the rear view mirror).

Auto lights are active when the lights are switched off, and you can enable or disable this function by turning the car off and then switching the sidelights on and off twice.

Last edited:
  Foz turbo S & a 172
172 has auto lights and wipers dude.

Auto wipers start when you select the intermitent option. It will wipe once (whether it's raining or not) and then only wipe when rain falls on the sensor (above the rear view mirror).

Auto lights are active when the lights are switched off, and you can enable or disable this function by turning the car off and then switching the sidelights on and off twice.

well don't I feel a fool!

thanks all.

I was panicking thinkin all the the electrics were gremelized and imminent MOT will take me apart..

chars..

LongI.

Turn auto lights off, I cant stand them, lack of full beam flash when its activated is pointless to me.

Like Jeff has said, turn the engine or battery on, then turn the lights on and off twice fast till you hear a beep, and they will turn off.

Intermittent wipers are ok, but if on setting 1 in the rain your wipers aren't really working enough you can take the sensor apart where the rear view mirror is and clean the jelly like sensor and re seat it with clear gel.

Foz turbo S & a 172
Turn auto lights off, I cant stand them, lack of full beam flash when its activated is pointless to me.

Like Jeff has said, turn the engine or battery on, then turn the lights on and off twice fast till you hear a beep, and they will turn off.

Intermittent wipers are ok, but if on setting 1 in the rain your wipers aren't really working enough you can take the sensor apart where the rear view mirror is and clean the jelly like sensor and re seat it with clear gel.

yeah, definitely turning the autolights off, me last but 2 car was an xjv8 and it used so much battery, if the auto lights were on and a door open - batery dead in 5 minutes.

chars.

L

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Autolights worked fine for me, if you're traveling down a country lane you can quite easily turn them on manually (which will enable full beam toggle).

A.N. Other
The lights probably aren't steamed up, the outer surface may just be pitted & needs polishing up. You can buy plastic headlight restoration kits with the bits needed for it.

yeah, definitely turning the autolights off, me last but 2 car was an xjv8 and it used so much battery, if the auto lights were on and a door open - batery dead in 5 minutes.

chars.

L

Autolights only come on with the engine on so it won't use the battery (as such, unless you have alternator issues then that's another can of worms!).

If theres moisture inside check the rubber caps are on the back, if they're not thats the problem.

If they are on just take them off and use a hairdryer to get the moisture out.