ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looked at a 172 Turbo today.

182 Turbo
Looked at this phase 1 172 turbo today http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...lt-Sport-Clio-PH1-172-Turbo-258.6-bhp-245-ftb

It's an absolute amazing machine and has gone well together by the lads up at stone / Mwm the car pulls amazingly but my only concern was after a quick blast when we looked under the engine bay the coolant was bubbling a bit like a kettle, dunno if this was just from the sheer power of the machine heating up fast but should this be happening?

Hopefully all is well so I can be the proud owner of this animal but that was the only thing that was concerning me, and the coolant bottle was dripping a bit?

Inputs would be massively appreciated
Thanks,
Aydon.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So you've been to look at a car for sale. The guys that built it are selling it.

Did you ask them why it was doing it? Surely they would be the best people to ask?

182 Turbo
No yeah i said the coolant bottle is bubbling quite a bit isn't it? But he said no that's fine, and to be honest with you I completely trust them they are reputable lads, but a bit of third party advise to be on the safe side is always helpful mate...
Cheers,
Aydon.

mondeo titanium tdci
Only asking thought you might of gone to the garage to view it if you completely trust them why didnt you buy it

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Like he said third party advice. Fair play to him for making sure something like that would concern me too.

182 Turbo
Only asking thought you might of gone to the garage to view it if you completely trust them why didnt you buy it

I've put a deposit on it mate but obviously the coolant bottle bubbling after a quick blast is a little bit concerning, and it's always good to get a bit of advise from someone who isn't actually selling the car? I'm sure it's fine though it's an animal and can't wait to own it, and being built by the guru's is always encouraging
Cheers,

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Bubbling in the coolant header tank is a sign of head gasket failure. I am not saying it has gone but it is a possibility

182 Turbo
It's weird because it has the megane 225 head gasket which is easily good enough for the 260bh it's running? If it's not a massive job I would still buy this car because I really want it.

Lionel Richie
everyone keeps ingnoring the cooling system, had a guy the other day, 300bhp car with a stock radiator "its ok cos it doesn't get hot" i just smiled

182 Turbo
everyone keeps ingnoring the cooling system, had a guy the other day, 300bhp car with a stock radiator "its ok cos it doesn't get hot" i just smiled

If it's only that mate I will just get it done, what radiator do you recommend for the job? Bear in mind I am completely satisfied with the power output it has and won't be hunting for more power,
How much we talking £ wise?
Thanks,
Aydon.

Lionel Richie
Pro Alloy, Radtec - any fabrication place wil be able to make you one

budget 400-500 for a decent rad + fan

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
This is a mate of mines car and the engine is solid as a rock. The whole engine has been rebuilt from sump up. It's never missed a beat and to who ever does own it next will enjoy every minute of it. It's an epic machine and tbh, I'm gutted Jack is selling it

Black Gold Trophy
Sounds like there is a leak, the coolant system is pressurised to reduce the boiling point of the coolant, hence if you remove the cap you are de-pressurising the
system and causing the coolant to boil.

Or it could be a sign of head gasket failure, this can be checked with a sniffer test.

Golf Gti edition 30
i had a fiesta turbo back in 1998 and it overheated where the header tank was bubbling away.ended up putting a crack in the block and knackered the engine :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't wish to sound unhelpful but it sounds like a potential hand grenade.

Sounds like there is a leak, the coolant system is pressurised to reduce the boiling point of the coolant, hence if you remove the cap you are de-pressurising the
system and causing the coolant to boil.

Or it could be a sign of head gasket failure, this can be checked with a sniffer test.

budget for the possibility of a warped head. I wouldn't buy it.

Might I suggest that unless any of you have actually been to see the car in question, you avoid giving out ''advice''.

You could have cost the seller a sale and the buyer could lose out on a perfectly good car.

Fred himself has said it may just need an uprated Rad, nothing else.

182 Turbo
Might I suggest that unless any of you have actually been to see the car in question, you avoid giving out ''advice''.

You could have cost the seller a sale and the buyer could lose out on a perfectly good car.

Has Fred seen the car though?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No idea.

All i'm saying is, don't condemn a car without seeing it in the flesh.

pimp mobile Zafira
Have you thought about an indipendant inspection from someone like the RAC? This might put your mind at rest.

Evo 5 RS
If you read the build thread it's been built up from the ground up, headgasket failure is REALLY uncommon with these even at that power. I'd go with what Fred says, and in all honesty I'd be wanting to upgrade the radiator anyway. If I was without my own money pit I'd gladly buy this car as they're only a quick shoot up the motorway from me. They clearly know the car really well so if anything went wrong I'm sure they'd gladly help out if you're not that way inclined. Which for the OP sounds ideal if he's asking such questions. Looks like an awesome car.

Have you thought about an indipendant inspection from someone like the RAC? This might put your mind at rest.

LOL

Last edited:
To be honest out of all the places to buy a car from this is one of safer options. They have sorted out/built a lot of cars on this forum including mine and I really can't see them taking the p*ss. If for whatever reason something did fail you know where to find them and seeing as they built it and it's their reputation, I'm pretty sure they'd be first in line to help you sort it out.

Clio 200 Cup
OOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo. Its a forum. Get over yourself.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I cant imagine that a person who makes their living/pays the bills from selling tuning parts to members of forum would risk flogging a member a knackered car. Not exactly good business sense now is it?

Have a read of the build thread, the engine has been built from scratch iirc, as Fred says, prob needs a bigger radiator.

Perhaps you should ask Jack why he didnt fit one?