ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M100CUP - RB 182 Sprint and Hillclimb Car

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Also I am just trying to work out the best suspension options. I would like AST but they are too expensive. Gaz Golds seem to be the preferred choice, and then there is BC where I can choose spring rates of 10kg Front / 9kg Rear.

Any ideas for the Track/Competition Guys?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I would say those kind of spring rates would suit track racing on slicks where you get the tyres hot, hillclimbing is a little different in suspension set up as the tyres don't get chance to get warm, I would try 7kg front & 8kg rear, if running a 1b tyre

BUT you may not be able to run rear coilovers depending which class you enter as some regs state the spring has to remain in it's original position

No interior puts you into "Modified Production" category - which means a lot more regulations to worry about. e.g. MSA Roll cage, HANS device, etc

Can't you show horn a back seat and some interior trim into the car?

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmmmm. That may be a feat. What is the minimum I could get away with? All 4 door cards (cut and modified due to door bars) and a rear seat?

Simon@ASTUK

ClioSport Trader
  BMW E30 M3
With cold tyres and spring rates like you mentioned, you are going to generate understeer. I would go softer all round and make the rear spring stiffer than the front. Although we list the Clio as true coiler rear, you can remove the coilover spring and platform and run a lowering spring. However they won't be near the rate you have mentioned above.

OsEtz40.jpg

Hmmmmm. That may be a feat. What is the minimum I could get away with? All 4 door cards (cut and modified due to door bars) and a rear seat?

Minimum of 4 door cards, rear seat, dash board, seats trimmed (i.e. not bare fibreglass), Tax, MOT required. You can remove the interior carpets and there is some flexibility on trim etc (e.g. as my rear seat is unusable I don't have rear seat belts fitted). Sadly the standards of scrutineering and eligibility do vary across the country - in the south west we seem to be pretty relaxed (as long as the car is safe!!).

To save weight I have removed some of the invisible plastic trim and sound proofing in the boot - passed scrutineering OK.

Is your battery still under the bonnet? If you have a lead acid battery in the car then you will need a battery box.

Also note that this type of harness (3 point below) is a complete no-no for any competition...… even 'road going' classes.

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
I have a MSA full cage with door bars and roof cross.
Battery moved inside the cabin behind the passenger seat so no lead acid
Fully stripped of all plastics but standard dash
6 point harnesses
Lightweight door cards

So I need to look at a suspension that I can Hillclimb and adjust for circuits too. Any ideas. If I stay in Mod Prod, can I run coilovers?

Attachments

• D5A4EDCE-0D0C-48C2-BB27-F9FDB60CC1EB.jpeg
    D5A4EDCE-0D0C-48C2-BB27-F9FDB60CC1EB.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 134
  • 8ADEAB09-DAC1-4134-AD85-BE9603759B66.jpeg
    8ADEAB09-DAC1-4134-AD85-BE9603759B66.jpeg
    700 KB · Views: 134
  • FED77C53-5058-4208-A886-2851AA50AEED.jpeg
    FED77C53-5058-4208-A886-2851AA50AEED.jpeg
    854.5 KB · Views: 153

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Graham.

I’m about to compete in my first season this year. Got my MSUK non race B licence and signed up for the SSHC up here in Scotland.

Preparing the car for class A2 same as you run in.

Ordering up stickers for the first event. What do you need to do? Display your run number on each side? Ignition off sticker? I remember reading about having to put yellow tape around the battery earth cable but can’t find it in the 2019 yearbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Graham.

I’m about to compete in my first season this year. Got my MSUK non race B licence and signed up for the SSHC up here in Scotland.

Preparing the car for class A2 same as you run in.

Ordering up stickers for the first event. What do you need to do? Display your run number on each side? Ignition off sticker? I remember reading about having to put yellow tape around the battery earth cable but can’t find it in the 2019 yearbook.

Yes.... run number on each side is the usual requirement. Some venues (such as Loton Park) also require a number on the bonnet as well.... check the event regulations to see if a bonnet number is required - if it doesn't say anything in the regs then assume you don't.

Yes .... ignition off sticker required. Demon Tweeks sell a sticker pack that includes various ignition stickers if you don't fancy making one.

Yes... yellow tape around the battery earth cable. I haven't looked in the 2019 Motorsport UK Book but I bet it's in there somewhere

Don't forget to take proof of tax and MOT with you .... just in case you get asked.

Good luck .... let us know how you get on.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
@David Stuart Dont forget to mark tow points, fit front tow eye and your timing strut, which you can make to fit the tow eye and just cable tie it on and carry some side cutters in case you need to be towed.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
@David Stuart Dont forget to mark tow points, fit front tow eye and your timing strut, which you can make to fit the tow eye and just cable tie it on and carry some side cutters in case you need to be towed.

Thanks. I’m going to make a timing strut. Shouldn’t be an issue.

As for tow points. I noticed the refs say they shout be clearly marked. Fine for the front. What do people do for the rear on a phase 2 182.

As for tow points. I noticed the refs say they shout be clearly marked. Fine for the front. What do people do for the rear on a phase 2 182.

The South West scrutineers have been pretty relaxed on this for "road going production" ... I haven't had a rear tow point marked on the Clio (3 years now) and just a screw in tow hook on the front without a mark or label. They might be stricter on Mod Prod ?

172, Fiesta S1600
Great thread!

Definitely come to Doune, great hill at which I've competed once in 2017? and commentated at twice last year!

I plan to be using my 172 this year in class A2 also!

Hope to see you all soon!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread!

Definitely come to Doune, great hill at which I've competed once in 2017? and commentated at twice last year!

I plan to be using my 172 this year in class A2 also!

Hope to see you all soon!

Are you going to Kames or forrestburn this year Paul? Should see you at doune as well later in the year.

Clio 182
I have followed this thread with great interest. It has been a useful source of info for me as I am entering a few MSA hillclimbs this year.

I made some changes to my Clio 182 over winter in prep for entering the roadgoing class.

I went 450/550lb f/r with the springs on the Gaz GHA coilovers and the car rotates so nicely. The balance is superb. Also added a quaife diff and mapped in some 197 cams to 195hp at efi. Finally went for the interstate tyres off your recommendation. Tried it all out at Harewood for the first time last weekend and it went well. The tyres didn't look as sticky as the extremes but it was very cold. I love how the Clio feels with a diff and the rear end was playful but predictable, negating excessive understeer.

My best time was 67.36 which I was happy with given it was the first time at Harewood and first time in the car with all the changes. Competing for the first time a week on Sunday. Cant wait!

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
I have followed this thread with great interest. It has been a useful source of info for me as I am entering a few MSA hillclimbs this year.

I made some changes to my Clio 182 over winter in prep for entering the roadgoing class.

I went 450/550lb f/r with the springs on the Gaz GHA coilovers and the car rotates so nicely. The balance is superb. Also added a quaife diff and mapped in some 197 cams to 195hp at efi. Finally went for the interstate tyres off your recommendation. Tried it all out at Harewood for the first time last weekend and it went well. The tyres didn't look as sticky as the extremes but it was very cold. I love how the Clio feels with a diff and the rear end was playful but predictable, negating excessive understeer.

My best time was 67.36 which I was happy with given it was the first time at Harewood and first time in the car with all the changes. Competing for the first time a week on Sunday. Cant wait!

Sorry to highjack but quick question, how many turns is you steering lock to lock? From the video looks like a lot. Even fast bends you almost crossing over. Good driving by the way!

Clio 182
I'm not sure. It's a standard rack so might be able to find out on Google. It's not the quickest rack...definitely needs a bit of shuffling, as much as I'd love to keep a fixed grip.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Blimey! a 67 is a super time which a couple of years back wouldn’t be far shy of the record. The move to 1B tyres has helped a lot and you said it was cold, roll on the summer !

They don't comply with the Motorsport UK definition of a three point harness. Over the years I've seen a couple of cars excluded for having those types of harness....

Page 162 of the 2019 Blue Book. Sorry .....

View attachment 1412971

No need to apologize, as I don't need to follow a rule book, I was just wondering if they were not to be considered safe, and what the reason might be. To my understanding, the blue book definition of a 3 point seatbelt is a seatbelt as original supplied by the car manufacterer.

Clio 182
Blimey! a 67 is a super time which a couple of years back wouldn’t be far shy of the record. The move to 1B tyres has helped a lot and you said it was cold, roll on the summer !

New tarmac last summer has knocked about a second off times too. Some mad cars pedalled by good drivers too... The record is like 64.04 now!

I'd love to try the extremes because talking around the paddock, someone back to backed them last year with R888r's and took a second off their time!

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
New tarmac last summer has knocked about a second off times too. Some mad cars pedalled by good drivers too... The record is like 64.04 now!

I'd love to try the extremes because talking around the paddock, someone back to backed them last year with R888r's and took a second off their time!

I literally just did a back to back test myself at Bedford. 1st April (I know hardly a hillclimb course lol) vid in my latest post on my build tread
888r vs VR2 medium. Was near 3sec quicker.
Do give them a try. Just ordered a hard compound for myself to try out. More suitable for longer tracks me think.
Can Order them here [emoji6] you won’t be disappointed

Clio 182
The soft VR2 melt on anything other than hillclimbs. Medium more suited to track sprints I think. 3sec is ridiculous! Were they soft or standard R888r?

The interstate are 80 treadwear so I'd hope they're not too far behind the VR2.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
The soft VR2 melt on anything other than hillclimbs. Medium more suited to track sprints I think. 3sec is ridiculous! Were they soft or standard R888r?

Correct soft are too soft for more than 3-4mile run. Killed first set after 9-10 laps at Bedford. (Partly my fault)
Last test was done on vr2 medium vs 888r GG.
Medium still too soft for long stints.

Looking at my times for a couple of Sprints at Castle Combe.... I was half a second slower on Interstate Race DNRTs (80 treadwear) than on Extreme VR2s (soft compound). As there was a year between the two laps I'm not sure that its a true comparison. All I can say is that the Interstate were half the price of the Extremes :)

Clio 182
Looking at my times for a couple of Sprints at Castle Combe.... I was half a second slower on Interstate Race DNRTs (80 treadwear) than on Extreme VR2s (soft compound). As there was a year between the two laps I'm not sure that its a true comparison. All I can say is that the Interstate were half the price of the Extremes :)

How have you found the wear? Mine barely looked scrubbed in after 9 runs at Harewood

How have you found the wear? Mine barely looked scrubbed in after 9 runs at Harewood

They are wearing very well.... two Sprints at Castle Combe, one Sprint at Clay Pigeon and lots of road miles in between. The Extremes wore very quickly on the inside .... probably due to the amount of negative camber I have the the front. They were down to the canvas on the inside and hardly worn on the outside.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Competing at all this year Graham. I’ve done 3 events so far in the Scottish series. Kames sprint twice and Forrestburn last weekend.

Considering doing either three sisters sprint or harewood hillclimb in the XBC in September. Have you done either. Maybe a bit far north for you mind.

I’ve got the bug completely. Just trying to learn a bit as I go. Driving competitively is very different from what I’m used to.