ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mazda Performance Scone. Mazda 3 MPS Project Log

Evo 5 RS
Well after being set on an R32 for sometime, I had a change of heart. Picking this up very soon.

Needs no introduction. No tax talk please ; )

256BHP, 280ftlbs 5 doors, 6 gears and 0-60 book time of 5.9.

Oki doke.

Poor mans S3 is fine by me. You may be seeing big power.

1719244.JPG

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As per your other thread. I'm a fan of these. I'd love a 6 tbh but the "thing that shall not be mentioned" puts me off.

I'll look forward to your updates/progress.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Pay it every 6 months Tom and you wouldn't notice. The only thing that I don't like about driving my mates is the aero mirrors. Horrendous.

Really like these. Looked at these before settling on a VXR. The mirrors are abit marmite, they don't go with the subtle look of the car IMO.

Evo 5 RS
It's £109 to change them to no aero items though.

The one in the pic is the closest I could get without giving too much away. It's not the one I'm picking up ;). Mine doesn't have the areo mirrors, and I agree I prefer them.

Ah - cheers. Never even think of that - especially as the Evo is cheaper to tax than the 182..... :cool:

Besides, it's only half the price of one of Scone's graphics cards anyway - and he swaps them out every 2 weeks.

D.

lol!

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
I have always liked the idea of these can be super quick, was on my list when I was looking but wasn't many localish to go look at

Evo 5 RS
I do like the review on Parkers lol.

Bad Points: Feels like it has too much power.

If that's all I've got to be disappointed by, I think I'm on to a winner lol.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
A simple remap will get you decent power.

The fuel pump is pretty much on it's limits at 300bhp, so that'll need upgrading as well as turbo downpipe, decat, induction hoses and intercooler.

New turbo needed if you want 350bhp+

Evo 5 RS
Yus,

Few run downs from the owners club.

349bhp - 397 lb/ft
Intake - Corksport SRI + TIP, Forge Recirc, SU TMIC,
Exhaust - Custom 3" tbe
Engine - ITV22 plugs, Grimmspeed ebc
Map - VersaTune Custom
Tyres - 225/40r18
Suspension - JBR R-ARB
Brakes - Stock
Fuel - V-Power

370 bhp - 383 lb/ft
Intake - Cobb SRI, K&N Filter, CP-E XL TIP 3" to 4", Turbo XS large core front mount, TurboSmart BPV
Exhaust - gt3071r, Jetex long downpipe, sports cat, Corksport Power Series cat back, SU Manifold, Custom wastegate actuator
Engine - Bosch 3bar map sensor, Fully forged, NGK 1 step colder plugs, SU rear engine mount, HiLux injector seals, Grimmspeed 3 Port EBCS, TurboSmart Boost Controller, 6 puct clutch, Solid lightened flywheel, Autotech HPFP, DW In-tank fuel pump
Map - BBR
Tyres - Bridgestone Potenza
Suspension - Eibach
Brakes - Stoptech drilled rotors, EBC yellow stuff pads
Fuel - Tesco Momentum

284bhp - 302 lb/ft
Intake - Cobb SRI, CP-E FMIC
Exhaust - Secondary Cat removed
Engine - Standard
Map - Standard ECU
Tyres - Yokohoma Paradas - 225/40/18
Suspension - BC Racing BR Coilovers
Brakes - Nitrac Grooved Discs, Ferodo DS2500 Pads, HEL Braided Lines, DOT 5.1 Fluid
Fuel - V Power

225 Cup & Williams
Last time I was down at Rs Tuning picking up my car there was some Mazda forum having an RR day there and they were pulling some pretty impressive figures. Is it the Mazda 6 mps? Some of them were pulling over 400 bhp.

Evo 5 RS
No, it's a 3. Same engine, but front wheel drive with a relatively trick limited slip diff for the age. So the same power can be had from it.

The 6 even with the 4WD system is still a lil' slower to 60. Book time is 6.6 for the 6. The 3 is 5.9

Very average colour (personal taste, I know), but epic cars. I'd love a red 6. The four wheel drive of them makes them ideal! Looks are a bit bland, however. Enjoy!

225 Cup & Williams
No, it's a 3. Same engine, but front wheel drive with a relatively trick limited slip diff for the age. So the same power can be had from it.

The 6 even with the 4WD system is still a lil' slower to 60. Book time is 6.6 for the 6. The 3 is 5.9

No I meant some of the Mazda 6 were pulling over 400 bhp.

Paul mentioned they all have them live mapped on the road for some reason and the mapping was shocking because of it.

Same engine though, correct? So a bit like comparing mk4 platformed Cupra R Leon to S3? I.e. one is a little heavier but with "4x4"?

Evo 5 RS
Same engine though, correct? So a bit like comparing mk4 platformed Cupra R Leon to S3? I.e. one is a little heavier but with "4x4"?

Yeah, I know why it's slower, sorry. I just meant I don't really have any need for the 6 size wise.

Yeah, I know why it's slower. I just meant I don't really have any need for the 6 size wise.

Apologies, was more of a "thinking aloud" post, rather than patronising why it's a faster car. Thinking it through, as would like to see where the power comes from and at what cost! Always interested me, as a car (the 6) - update it when you get it fella!

Evo 5 RS
Will do, also I've intentionally gone for silver as it hides marks well. I'm more than likely not going to be the only driver. Also 4 year olds don't tend to care what they touch lol.

Interesting, this link;

http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=458

Shows a fellow CS user (if I'm not mistaken);

7. Jamier27 - 337bhp - 409lbs/ft
Intake - COBB SRI, larger TIP, Turbosmart BOV
Exhaust - decatted turboback CPE
Engine - ITV22 plugs, k1 conrods, PTP fuel pump internals,
Map - XO power tuning
Tyres -
Suspension - Bilstein B16
Brakes -
Fuel - V-Power

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Christ, lot of car for the money!

Any known issues to look out for ?

​Cam chain issues, smokey turbo on extended idle. That's the main two that were around when I had mine, don't know if anything else has arisen as they've become older

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I like the idea of these. Remind me of a budget Focus RS Mk 2.

Dont they all have ridiculous spec as standard (Bose/Nav/Leather/Trick Diff?)

How much is Tax?

When did the facelift come in?

I like this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...aero-sports-57-plate-------------2007/1592615

Thanks

yeah they're quite well spec'd mate, mk1 is top tax bracket, mk2 is about half as much to tax. The tax didnt bother me in the slightest as the savings in insurance (compared to my 172) more than paid for the extra in tax