ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

M

mini-valver

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

2 wires on mine! Use Mk2 central locking pops if you are running a new loom in?

2 wires on mine! Use Mk2 central locking pops if you are running a new loom in?

All four wires run back to some controller block that has to be plugged in for it to open? so the mk2 ones might not work with the box?

4 wires will do, there is 4mm difference ffs lol

M

mini-valver

Is it this?.....
Photo0155.jpg

nope :( its black with two connectors, that have tons of pins, black+blue connectors, bigger than those^

alfa 145/Clio 197cup

What a great little project.

must congratulate you on doing all the work yourself and learning as you go along.i read the first 40 pages last night, took me over 2 hours and i just had to come back today to finish it off.

this is something i would like to try in the future so i will be keeping an eye on it in the future.

i'd read the guide in this months practical performance car magazine that said "nothing is compatible" i hope you prove them all wrong.

if more people read threads like this it'll make them realise the ups and downs of owning/modifying an older car and the fun it CAN be when done.

keep it up.

Cheers, glad you enjoyed it.

How do you mean 'nothing is compatible'? Ive not seen the magazine myself, but im interested to what they mean!

alfa 145/Clio 197cup

it lists all the suspension differences and track widths and how to convert one to another.

then for engine conversions, the volvo/renault options but says
just dont bother with either the later 172 or 182 as nothing is compatible, you'd be starting again so you may as well build something the factory never did

then it mentions the VAG engines.

when its done, get in touch with them and :rasp:

'92 172, Lotus Elise

it's semi true

the later lumps have fbw throttle - though I'm actually using a 182 lump in mine

ValverInBits

^ same as everything these days though mate. Theres basically only one VAG 20v lump on a cable throttle, the AGU (every garage should have one, mine does ;))
Theres probably money to be made converting FBW TBs into cable for people.

The next thing that's going to be a nightmare as far as custom engine conversions are concerned is direct injection. There are very few/no aftermarket ECUs that will run the stuff, and LOADS of engines these days are DI. The stock ECUs immobilisers are getting harder and harder to crack. Again money to be made for a cost effective ECU that'll run Direct Injection imho.

Day 146

Picked up some new parts today... A 172 sump, 172 Crank Sensor, 172 Drivers Engine Mount, and two Lambda Sensors, even though I only need one...spare is always good I guess...

Decided to start painting some stuff, so I cleaned up the sump and painted it...

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Other parts...

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

I also filed down the lettering on the thermostat housing where I had it drilled, so the coolant sensor would seal properly with the washers.

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Last edited:

Day 147

After painting the sump yesterday, I decided to paint all the other stuff I wanted to, or at least start...

First up was the alternator brackets Im using...

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

Then the thermostat housing...

IMG_1172.jpg

And the side cam cover from the 172 engine...

IMG_1170.jpg

Then started on the front of the engine itself, the block/head/gearbox and stuff bolted to it is going to be black, inlets will be different, undecided what yet though...

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Few random pictures...

IMG_1162.jpg

The sump had dried from yesterday...

IMG_1175.jpg

I also finished the rear loom today, which will be hidden down the length of the car, it will explain itself in the next few days when the rest of the loom is finished...

I removed the speaker wiring, rear wiper/washer wiring, and a few other unused bits...Also, the wiring for the passenger rear light usually runs across in front of the rear seats, then down to the back of the car. I made it follow all the way down the drivers side instead, then along the back, to make it easier to hide!

IMG_1181.jpg

More on the wiring soon....

RB 182 Cup

what colour is that you have painted your bits? looks like a pearly black? looks mint!

Hammerite 'hammered' black, its like black with a grey sort of sparkle when you see it under light lol

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Good job jord. Had any luck with a lock up yet, or you just staying in the factory?

nah, running out of things I can do now, factory is only useful for doing the engine stuff, cant do the car there.....looked at a few, the one Sy suggested turned up blank, and I went seeing one the other day in manchester, was great, but too 50 mile round trip and £50/week, useless

ITB'd 182...

Random Q?

Would that hammerite smooth be ok to do the boot floor and sides as mine looks utter shite un painted tbh...

ITB'd 182...

I did my old car with spray hammerite inside, came out ok....dont brush it, looks wierd...

Just worried about overspray and cba to take the front interiour out :dapprove:

Any pics of you old one?

smooth is smoothed when brushed on no? something to do with ions flattening out the paint?

jamie

Day 150

Been working on the interior loom mostly over the past few days, taking time but its a pretty big job. More updates on that in the next few days...

Spent some time jetwashing the gearbox today, came up OK, but its 12 years old I guess so cant expect miracles, just got to paint it now...

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

Also removed the full front loom from the car, so I can strip out the wiring for the blower, foglights, and any other junk thats on it...

IMG_1263.jpg

Looks ghetto...

IMG_1265.jpg

Day 151

Picked up my clutch cable brackets, and clutch fork from Volvo today. This is the equivalent of a 'soft pedal' conversion, if I didnt use this, the 172 clutch would be stupidly heavy with the valver box...

IMG_1270.jpg

Also had a few other bits arrive, 172 upper manifold...

IMG_1274.jpg

Decided im going to have the flange chopped off, and a flat faced flange welded on, which will meet the downpipe completely square, instead of the round gasket/rotating joint... To counteract this I am going to put a flexi-joint on the downpipe further down to still allow movement...

Also got hold of a MAP sensor, clutch, and a few other required bits and bobs, not much else I need now...

Painted the back of the engine too, just the top to do now...

IMG_1271.jpg

And one last pic to give an idea of the sort of color the hammerite 'hammered' dries as...

IMG_1280.jpg

More on the loom and other bits in the next few days...

ValverInBits

Decided im going to have the flange chopped off, and a flat faced flange welded on, which will meet the downpipe completely square, instead of the round gasket/rotating joint... To counteract this I am going to put a flexi-joint on the downpipe further down to still allow movement.

So the 172 manifold is going to directly meet the valver downpipe then? Nice idea as opposed to the custom downpipe option

So the 172 manifold is going to directly meet the valver downpipe then? Nice idea as opposed to the custom downpipe option

im going to get a 172 decat, get the flange cut off on the manifold end also, so they meet 100% square and flush, no twisting gaskets and crap....

then il 'adapt' the 172 decat to fit the tunnel properly, looking at geesus69's it dosent seem far out, just needs a bit of messing on the exhaust end....

TVR Cerbera

f0xy, i've just twigged, you'r gonna give me competition with that weapon at Marham! IF it gets there! lol

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

im going to get a 172 decat, get the flange cut off on the manifold end also, so they meet 100% square and flush, no twisting gaskets and crap....

then il 'adapt' the 172 decat to fit the tunnel properly, looking at geesus69's it dosent seem far out, just needs a bit of messing on the exhaust end....

good idea getting rid of the round gasket, nightmare to get it to seal! still dont think mine is 100%

not sure i get what you mean with the decat fitting the tunnel? do you mean height wise? that is one advantage of having the twisting gasket though, you can move it if need be to get the exhaust sitting exactly where it should be

best of luck with it though, god knows i spent alot of time under the car trying to get mine right!

and i now need to drop it all down again so i can adjust the handbrake, love it! :mad:

f0xy, i've just twigged, you'r gonna give me competition with that weapon at Marham! IF it gets there! lol

il make sure it gets there :cool:

good idea getting rid of the round gasket, nightmare to get it to seal! still dont think mine is 100%

not sure i get what you mean with the decat fitting the tunnel? do you mean height wise? that is one advantage of having the twisting gasket though, you can move it if need be to get the exhaust sitting exactly where it should be

best of luck with it though, god knows i spent alot of time under the car trying to get mine right!

and i now need to drop it all down again so i can adjust the handbrake, love it! :mad:

Im not sure until i see it and get it offered up....might hack the decat up and tack weld it to the right shape, then get someone to properly fabricate it to that shape for me...