ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Vw caddy tdi
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Isn't normally a balanced bottomend just the crank flywheel and possibly clutch cover? U certianly not having any luck! Hope you find good new engine.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

with those prices and the fact that place comes from a recommendation, i'd be rebuilding your current tbh!

as long as the crank is savable :p

well im looking at 300ish (if i rebuild, with new rings etc)

or 150ish for a bottom end thats for sale from a member on here (thats ok 30k)

hmmm, what to do!

can't see you would new new rings have they been measured yet...

i would rebuild an have a new bottom end...

what do i need to measure regarding rings if i remove them (stripping block down later)....as the last thing i want to do is rebuild and have it burning oil because i didnt bother replacing the rings...

TVR Cerbera

i'd have the used one for 150, cos you need to run in the rebuilt engine and marham's only 4 weeks away! lol

monaco172 and ph1 172

yeh get the second hand oe and replace it so much less work. Rebuild the other one later with forged internals when your cash supply replenishes.

M

mini-valver

Rebuild yours dude. f**k all this second hand BE bullshit. Look whats happened with the last 2 engines.

Original crank and rods, new rings, shells and a fresh block. Cant go wrong.

320d

run in = few drives up and down the full length of the M6 tbh! lol

Jord the M6 is 230 miles long :eek: wouldn't fancy doing that several times in a stripped Mk1 tbh :approve:

However I agree with Dave, better to take no risks with engines where you no nothing of the history, If you want something doing do it yourself....

christ, cant get over this amount of bad luck tbh.....

i vote rebuild too if the crank is ok..... best to be safe really

White Sti Hatch

Id go rebuild, may cost more but youll have peice of mind itll be reet when its done !!!

ZX6R B1H

again im a pikey, so whichever works out cheapest and gets the f**king thing onroad which will make u smile and not hate the bugger and feel like its a never ending project of doom

ITB'd MK1

jord if you cant seem to find any rings, try FPS in Liverpool, the factors, id imagine they would do them

FPS supply factors and trade suppliers, they wont deal with the public and wont sell direct to garages etc either. But you're right that's where pretty much everything comes from (unless you mean a different FPS)

ValverInBits

I'd so go for the cheaper replacement BE. Rather than the ache of finding larger shells and so on..... But it'd need a good checking over to avoid an unhappy ending :(

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

FPS supply factors and trade suppliers, they wont deal with the public and wont sell direct to garages etc either. But you're right that's where pretty much everything comes from (unless you mean a different FPS)

yeah theyre the people fps. if you contact your local gsf they can buy whatever you need in for you from them.

what do i need to measure regarding rings if i remove them (stripping block down later)....as the last thing i want to do is rebuild and have it burning oil because i didnt bother replacing the rings...

place a ring in the bore once removed from a piston and measure the ring end gaps with feeler gauges..not sure on the gap....stan or danny might know

ITB'd MK1

I'd have to check a book, no idea off the top of my head, forged pistons are always non standard gaps and nearly always different between brands, and that's mostly what we do.

there's more things to check too, clearance in the ringland above/below the ring, finish of the contact surface etc. Un-known engine and doing everything else, I'd change the rings

me too but the bores looked ok in the pics...couldn't see signs of oil starvation on the bores..

just thought it might save 100 notes for him...if there in good nick..

Rebuild yours dude. f**k all this second hand BE bulls**t. Look whats happened with the last 2 engines.

Original crank and rods, new rings, shells and a fresh block. Cant go wrong.

if the bottom end is sound though, whats the point of spending twice as much rebuilding it? Im gona whip the caps off tommorow when i go and see it....

I know what you mean by saying it will be all new, and a perfect bottom end.....but its money at the end of the day

CS Wallet of WIN!!!1!1!!! ;)

If the 30k B/E is sweet 100% i would go with that.. but im a pikey.. so...

I wish I had the CS Wallet of win!

Not sure where the guy got the price for the rings from (engine builder place), but he had to call some of his contacts, they didnt show in any of his catalogs...he called me back and quoted me that price though

I'd so go for the cheaper replacement BE. Rather than the ache of finding larger shells and so on..... But it'd need a good checking over to avoid an unhappy ending :(

He said I would not need larger shells as he would only be slightly polishing the crank, not fully regrinding it....

replacement BE is half the price nearly, and if its all good when i check it tommorow il probably get it, but if not, its going to have to be rebuilt....

Few bits from today, took the head off, block apart, all off the stand etc....Either way, weather its getting rebuilt or replacement BE it had to come apart....

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

And one last thing, Is this my engine fabrication/block number? If so, im going to check if the reg is it associated with matches the 172 that the seller owned. If it does, hes obviously ran his dry, bought a replacement unit, and flogged the fucked one on (to me)..

IMG_2591.jpg

Ok, dosent match, 063410 is the engine i have (if thats the engine number in the pic)

...Which leads me to believe that this engine was originally in the guys car, hes fooked it then bought a replacement, and sold this one...

Martin, can you search for the engine number, to bring up a reg?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

dunno what the 063410 number is, but my engine number is in the form that brun says C00XXXX

:edit: just looked at my spare crankcase and it has 063410 stamped on it too, so it can't be the number

Bought another bottom end, its back at the factory now.

Thanks to Madmike1, took the caps off to check, and turned it over, all nice...

Hopefully wont have any issues with this one....

TVR Cerbera

No spectators I dont think. However, I MAY have a passenger seat in the valver as my mates not getting back to me :rolleyes:

Good stuff!

Marham still on then? I might tag along.

Whiteley is right no spectators, and if you do wanna 'tag' along you need to get your name on the list before it closes tomorrow as it's a raf camp and security checks have to be done.

Daz

Skoda Fabia vRS

Bought another bottom end, its back at the factory now.

Thanks to Madmike1, took the caps off to check, and turned it over, all nice...

Hopefully wont have any issues with this one....

sorted :)

M

mini-valver

Fair enough dude. Was it stored as a full engine or just a bare block?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member

Mate the engine numbers are on a little metal tag normally by the oil filter area.
May have been removed?
Sorry to hear about this mate chin up.