ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project

You said earlier in the thread that you blocked up the bonnet airvent to stop rain getting on the coilpack? How did you do this?

What camera and mount fo you use matey?

I use a very old Panasonic DV (Tape) camera, its getting past its best now but its lasted for two years. Il probably replace it next year with something new. The mount is just a tripod head clamped to the cage with exhaust clamps, works perfectly..

You said earlier in the thread that you blocked up the bonnet airvent to stop rain getting on the coilpack? How did you do this?

I cut a piece of 0.6mm plate to the right shape just to sit in the back (without the rain catcher). Painted the front it black then tiger sealed it in from behind..

Well at around 5pm today I will have owned the car exactly 2 years! I still remember picking it up and it taking hours to get home through rush hour. Its changed just a bit..

th_IMG_5878.jpg
th_IMG_5887.jpg
th_IMG_5893.jpg

th_IMG_0406.jpg
th_IMG_9894.jpg
th_IMG_0317.jpg

20100814164132.jpg

Its got some road tax left on it that I dont want to waste before winter, so I'm doing one more trackday, which is most likely going be at the end of October. Hopefully next year I will get a good summers use out of it in 2011, then il more than likely be bored of it.

The bulk of the work is now done and it just needs maintaining, more importantly using. With the cage finished and interior painted it can pretty much be parked up and stored over winter. Hopefully another 12 months will provide as much fun again...

Last edited:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

the car is almost unrecognisable from what it was originally. its a proper weapon now and a real inspiration

it one of the best mk1 about, you've done well mate its a proper credit to you

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

It's been emotional

Christ, he's done 300 times what i've done to mine and mines been more than an emotional drain! Jordan must be emotionally exhausted!

Hats off to you mate. You done good and theres no way on earth i'd have done mine without your help. (And Chris too.)

the car is almost unrecognisable from what it was originally. its a proper weapon now and a real inspiration

Christ, he's done 300 times what i've done to mine and mines been more than an emotional drain! Jordan must be emotionally exhausted!

Hats off to you mate. You done good and theres no way on earth i'd have done mine without your help. (And Chris too.)

Cheers for the comments..

It's been emotional

Indeed it has, from F7P, to F7R twice, then F4R after you talked me into what a good idea it would be - a lot has happened!

Mk1 Clio F4R'd

x2!

Well done lad!

Mk1 F4R

same here without some of the help you gave the car would still be in the garage :)

can remember when you got the car the first day and you picked me up in it lol

Clio Mk1

True, true. Really huge amount of work in this car, inspiring to all of us. Hats of to you!;)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Id love to see your insurance modifications list!! LOL

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I'd love to see his MOT advisories...

"rear seats missing"
"rear seatbelts missing"
"random holes in chasis"

Love this Jord, the amount of effort you put in, but most importantly, the fact you bother to tell us all about most of it :)

Holes in chassis? There are none, lol. Plus they aren't advisories, it actually had none!

At Renault acctually! And thats part of the cage, the holes are pressed/flared to increase strength and reduce the overall weight of the gusset :)

TrackCar & F30 330d

Now you'v finally finished modifing it and you get another years fun out of it i recon you should try putting it back to standard. Probably take you two years to do that lol.

Not much been happening recently, only a few bits to sort before the end of October which will be the last day of the year at Angelesy.

Im waiting on another hub arriving so I can use the stub from it to leave me with studs on the front (as per a few pages back), after the stub I used was f*cked. Just needs machining up and new studs pressing in then it can go onto the car. Also had to replace the N/S balljoint after Oulton Park for the 2nd time this year, no idea whats making them wear out unless ive just been unlucky..

Anyway, a few days ago I lent a hand to 172Ben and removed the engine from his car for him as hes breaking it - in return he did me a favour and sorted me with his Oil Cooler. Ive never really had the need for one, as I run it on the cheapest oil and hammer it round track all day long - its never gone wrong yet over the past two years so the engine cant be coming to too much harm. Although, I suppose its a safety measure and keeps some of the heat away from the engine itself on track - dosent really matter either way for the price. So I set about fitting it today...

20100920174854.jpg

Removed the filter and decided on where I wanted the cooler. It seemed to fit well between the radiator and bumper, sat on top of the slam panel. I thought I was going to have to cut the bumper slightly but it sat well enough to not need it, and the bonnet cleared it fine once on..

20100920173428.jpg

20100920175352.jpg

20100920175401.jpg

All seemed OK so drilled the holes and bolted it down to the slam panel. I had already checked the length of the hoses, plenty to play with so I decided on a route for them...

20100920183431.jpg

20100920183443.jpg

Ideally I would have liked them both down the same side, I might do eventually as its not too expensive to get a hose made to the same spec from Pirtek etc. After fitting the thermostatic sandwich plate, a new Halfrauds filter (£2.37!) and filling the engine with oil I cranked it over to get the oil round... After starting it and letting it warm up everything was fine with no leaks, so happy days. Bumper back on and you can hardly see it with the bonnet on - I was tempted to give it a spray of black to match the radiator, but that can wait for another time......

20100920190719.jpg

20100920190746.jpg

20100920190806.jpg

More soon!

CLIO PH1 172

Got a pic with it all back together inc bonnet ect

How much more oil does it take now ?? Not much more I suppose

I put about 3/4 of a litre more in than usual, maybe a tad more. Il grab a pic tomorrow with the bonnet on, was dark by the time I finished earlier..

DCi 100

Wondered what the collection of oil on the pass seat was for! It's not noticable at all with the bonnet on for sure. :)

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Just seen your Facebook, does sign of things to come mean you might get something that needs an intercooler?

Wondered what the collection of oil on the pass seat was for! It's not noticable at all with the bonnet on for sure. :)

That 15litres is for Adam... lol.

Just seen your Facebook, does sign of things to come mean you might get something that needs an intercooler?

Nah - just needs using for some time yet as its taken so long to get this far! I need a break for a bit, lol :)

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

Did you renew the O ring on the sandwich plate? They have a tendency to leak if you reuse them

Should keep them temps down though so good mod

Carl

Did you renew the O ring on the sandwich plate? They have a tendency to leak if you reuse them

Should keep them temps down though so good mod

Carl

Didnt replace it, didnt even know a replacement could be bought! Checked it and cleaned it up, then ran some fresh oil round it and fitted it. Everything seems OK after checking earlier, no leaks as of yet - hope it will stay that way!

Have you got your 3 oil gauges wired up mate?

Nah I dont use the Renault ones, I run 172 clocks with a 1.2 dash top. They will work fine if wired up properly though...

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

No cos ive robbed his t piece for the oil senders to the gauges :)
He had it on all last year and never used it so got rid

Any details on what I need to get them running? I have already fitted (not wired in though) the Mk1 oil level gauge but I need the pressure and temp sorting.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

Didnt replace it, didnt even know a replacement could be bought! Checked it and cleaned it up, then ran some fresh oil round it and fitted it. Everything seems OK after checking earlier, no leaks as of yet - hope it will stay that way!

Yeah you can get a replacement, keep an eye on it as mine sprung a leak on the RR after i re-fitted the sandwich plate to my new engine. Mocal recommend replacing the o-ring everytime you remove it.

Carl

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Here are a few more pics of the T-piece, the other pic was a bit crap...

IMG_1728.jpg

Oil pressure sender...

IMG_1729.jpg

Oil pressure sensor...

IMG_1730.jpg

Assembled...

IMG_1732.jpg

Fitted to the block...

IMG_1742.jpg

Hi mate, is that oil pressure sender off the Mk1? If so where is it located? Also any details on the t piece? I have a pirtek dealer right near the workshop I use so can pop in there.

Any idea how I get the Mk1 oil temp gauge working?

Cheers

Yeah you can get a replacement, keep an eye on it as mine sprung a leak on the RR after i re-fitted the sandwich plate to my new engine. Mocal recommend replacing the o-ring everytime you remove it.

Carl

Cool - where did you get one from/how much?

Hi mate, is that oil pressure sender off the Mk1? If so where is it located? Also any details on the t piece? I have a pirtek dealer right near the workshop I use so can pop in there.

Any idea how I get the Mk1 oil temp gauge working?

Cheers

Yeah, the pressure sender is off a Mk1 - its usually on the back of the engine block drivers side. The thread is M14x1.5. The green oil pressure switch (for the dash) is the same thread, as is the hole in the block. If you go to Pirtek and say you want an M14x1.5 T-piece they should be able to sort it. Mine was a bit bigger than a normal small t-piece as I opted to have loose fitting ends, so I could position the t-piece at any angle - i.e. I could screw it in by just twisting the end and not spinning the whole thing round and round...

As for the wiring il find the PDF I made tomorrow and reply in here..

The Mk1 Oil Temp gauge isnt too hard - you need to screw the Mk1 oil temp/level sender into the engine instead of the 172 one (its like a dipstick with a connector on), then just run a wire through to your gauges to the right pin (Haynes shows the pins)..

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

Yeah, the pressure sender is off a Mk1 - its usually on the back of the engine block drivers side. The thread is M14x1.5. The green oil pressure switch (for the dash) is the same thread, as is the hole in the block. If you go to Pirtek and say you want an M14x1.5 T-piece they should be able to sort it. Mine was a bit bigger than a normal small t-piece as I opted to have loose fitting ends, so I could position the t-piece at any angle - i.e. I could screw it in by just twisting the end and not spinning the whole thing round and round...

which pirtek did you use cos pirtek in trafford said they couldn't make one up for me.

Used the Pirtek 'man' that comes to the factory (hydraulics for the machines). It took him a bit to get hold of it as he had to get the right fittings, but was spot on when he did. You could also try somewhere like Hose Solutions..

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

ah ok, i'll have a snoop around the net again for one if not i'll try pirtek again see if they are more helpfull this time