ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Skoda Fabia VRS
So I decided to stray away from boosting the 182, a lot of thought went into it and various comments/advice from other members, I looked at it from other points of view. My main thought was that it's my daily (other than a works van) so if it turned into a problem/money pit, I'm stuck. After thinking about it long and hard 😂 ... I decided I could have just as much fun with a track car, so I went out to look for one.

21888879936_3b204c6c26_c.jpg

That's when I stumbled across this little gem.
1997 Mk1 VTS.
84k genuine miles
Very good condition for the age (bar the odd scratch, it's 18 years old!)
£1100 worth of receipts in the last few months for the following;
head gasket, bolts, cambelt, aux belt, waterpump, coolant pump, thermostat+housing and gasket, starter motor, coolant itself, brand new axle -40mm, new discs/pads all around, spark plugs, pollen filter, oil filter and oil, top mounts, Bilstein B8's, tie rods, 50mm springs (s**t, s**t springs), drop links etc etc.
Overall plans for this are fast road/track use. The standard exhaust is killing me, I'm 100% asbo and need noise, which is good because I've just bought a Saxsport 10 minutes ago so next week shall be some progress already!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Love these, great s**t little cars (if that makes sense). I had a mk2 VTR and I oddly miss it.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Few pics to keep the dust off my camera!

21930202722_62df1e7baa_c.jpg

21951997771_c36fed89a6_c.jpg

21930184682_51248dc793_c.jpg

21916053456_40eff17d10_c.jpg

21754363328_2335e59a2a_c.jpg

The interior is stupidly clean, I may even go as far as cleaner than the 182! My dad said it would be a crying shame to strip it back and gut it.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Good choice not to turbo the 182 mate, how much can you pick these vts's up for?
It changes often depending on the rust issue/general condition mate. I picked this up for £1100. I don't feel shy on stating that as it's got 84k genuine miles and has £1100 worth of receipts as I mentioned above. Mk2's, well put it this way, I've sold 3 for under £500 with full manifold+exhaust systems.

Skoda Fabia VRS
What's the performance like compared to 1*2s?
Well, ironically @josh11490 came up with me in his 182. Had a dabble on the way back and his just walked passed me. Bare in mind this VTS is completely stock, Josh's has air filter/full exhaust system, not much, but better over standard. My old VTS was stripped to the shell, and had a 4-2-1 and Supersprint decat back, that thing was pretty quick accelerating wise.

Megane 250
They aren't too far off pace wise, rolling start the Clio will win, off the line the VTS, after 80-100 the Clio.

My Cammed GTi, was chasing down 172/182s on track.

Very capable little cars, slight addiction to them lol

Skoda Fabia VRS
They're virtually the same cars, both need to be revving high to get all the oomph. Clio has more torque lower down so it'll always win.

Seems like a decent example of car getting quite rare nowadays. I'd rather tidy it up and make it 'mint' rather than stripping it out for track. That's me though and it's not my car [emoji23]

Skoda Fabia VRS
Seems like a decent example of car getting quite rare nowadays. I'd rather tidy it up and make it 'mint' rather than stripping it out for track. That's me though and it's not my car [emoji23]
All it would need for that is the VT kit re fitted! The car is pretty mint as it is now, but I wanted that as it's a good base to start off with. It's never seen an exhaust, air filter, never been sat on it's arse with a knackered axle. It's also rust free, which is stupidly hard to come by on a Saxo!

Skoda Fabia VRS
Does the immobiliser pad still work?

:cool:
It does indeed, I find it so cool!

Worst standard brakes fitted to any car in history.

I nearly smashed mine into the back of the car infront driving it back from where I bought it.

Ace little things though.
They're being swapped for a 266mm setup. Thought about the GTi6 283mm setup, but they're overkill unless you're pushing high power, 266mm will do lovely.

Peugeot 308
I ran 266mm on mine and unlike the 283 setup, stayed with the original master cylinder. They worked a treat tbh.

All you need is a manifold, exhaust and a decent air filter setup and it will fly along nicely.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I ran 266mm on mine and unlike the 283 setup, stayed with the original master cylinder. They worked a treat tbh.

All you need is a manifold, exhaust and a decent air filter setup and it will fly along nicely.
Saxsport should be here sometime next week along with either a Piper 4-1 manifold, or Miltek 4-2-1 depending on price/who gets back to me sooner. I'll be looking for the Simota enclosed induction kit with green cotton filter as I ran that on my previous S, good setup.

As for the master cylinder I'll be sticking with the current one like yourself previously, shouldn't need to upgrade (hopefully).

Awesome wee car, and MK1's are getting so rare now - more so than the equivalent 106 GTI. Saxsport, mani and an enclosed filter really open them up too. Should see 140BHP and at 900KGS or so that's enough.

Peugeot 308
Saxsport should be here sometime next week along with either a Piper 4-1 manifold, or Miltek 4-2-1 depending on price/who gets back to me sooner. I'll be looking for the Simota enclosed induction kit with green cotton filter as I ran that on my previous S, good setup.

As for the master cylinder I'll be sticking with the current one like yourself previously, shouldn't need to upgrade (hopefully).

I wouldn't go enclosed. A friend of mine spent a fortune on his and found the enclosed setup was a restriction.

I'd go silicone hoses with the filter behind the headlamp route like people do on 1*2's or simply, a standard Airbox with updated panel filter (no induction noise mind)

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Soft spot for the vts,cracking performance only letdown is the bloody brakes

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Loved my Mk1 VTS. I bought it for the simple reason to piss off my ex (whilst I was with her) as she hated them. I quickly fell in love.

It was like putting on a very angry, but well fitted slipper.

MyVTS1.jpg

MyVTS4.jpg

MyVTS2.jpg

MyVTS3.jpg

Always wanted posi blue too

Skoda Fabia VRS
So a little update list to keep the thread up to date.

Saxsport exhaust Bought
Miltek 4-2-1 Manifold purchasing tonight hopefully!
Exhaust gasket + Manifold gasket bought
Polybushed exhaust mounts bought
Manifold studs and nuts bought

Hopefully all should be fitted this weekend presuming the weather is okay, but as I'm Welsh, we'll see... Also there's the common leak from the sunroof so that'll be looked into as well.

Skoda Fabia VRS
So, change of plans. The Saxsport I bought turned out to have a big crack in it, so I had a refund before it was posted (seller was breaking a friend of a friends car, and didn't know it was there). So I've now purchased a brand new decat-back non silenced centre section from KamRacing, SuperSprint, basically one of the top brands for the Saxo/106. I also purchased a green cotton filter to replace the filter in the standard airbox. Then someone popped up on Facebook that happened to be selling the original SuperSprint tailpipe in good condition, snapped it up straight away. Everything else has arrived, bar the polybush mounts, typical lol...

Quality of the pictures are crap as they're on my works phone, which is some rubbish Windows thing!

1457db681f.jpg

b9521a563f.jpg

48dc6eb383.jpg

5b4040eb7c.jpg

The car doesn't sit as high as it looks in the picture, my driveway is evil.