ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio V6 or VX220 Turbo

I am possibly the most indecisive person when it comes to cars. I have 20k to spend what shall I buy? I have narrowed it down to these 2, please no scooby, EVO, rx8, 350z posts they are out of it as I dont like them...

Mk2 Clio V6
0-60 5.8sec
Insurance £1400pa
Combined Fuel 25MPG
As an everyday car no problem though could prove expensive with fuel and tyres from what Ive read.

Vx220 Turbo
0-60 4.7sec
Insurance £1100
Combined Fuel 43MPG
A stripped out roadster with only slightly more "toys" (ABS, airbag) than a Lotus. Check the performance though. Astra running costs.

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!

One line posts please just tell me and be objective if you can..

172, Tiguan

Both very different cars, what do you want out of the car? Do you plan to do a lot of trackdays?

Not sure what id choose between those 2 tbh.

No trackdays in mind just a car with the wow factor. I like the looks of the Renault but i think the vx220 is awesome also and would be much cheaper to keep on the road. The 20k is pushing my budget and I dont want to get nasty surprises so Im thinking the vx220 is the "safe" solution.

Renault Laguna Coupe

If you want wow and a bit more practicality go for the Vee. VX220 is a better trackday car, but has little purpose other than that.

E91 M Sport

The V6 would be comfy and practical for touring, etc. Great engine note, more exclusive looks.

The VX turbo would be much much faster in almost any conditions, and more involving to drive.

LY 200

Umm!!!

Id go for performance and looks so it would have to be V6!!!

The VX is a sportscar but at the same time its a Vauxhall and unfortunatly id always be thinking its brothers and sisters are corsas and vectras etc!!!

Ive considered the exact thing as you and I collect my black vx220 turbo tomorrow :D

Althought, Id love a red v6 (lucky bugger mike!) the thing that swung it for me is that I had a 172 and inside they are very similar - I wanted the new car to be more different.

If I wanted a boot, bit of comfort and use the car often it would have to be the V6, I dont need a car so its a weekend toy hence the VX.

Weeman sucks ****

trust me mate when youre following a caterham at full chat you dont think that:D and especially when you hold onto their arse. pure driving thrills IMO.

[Edited by CHRIS172CUP on 1/21/2005 10:53:18 AM]

You lucky f**ker tony!

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS172CUP on 21 January 2005
You lucky f**ker tony!

I cant wait :D Counting the hours now - 23 hours and 34 minutes!

Vee dub

Personally Id have the V6 no question

Those VX220 s are rapid but it would be the V6 for me.

Mark 1 Clio V6

As an everyday car I would have neither.

As a weekend road car only V6.

As a weekend road/track car VX220 turbo.

The V6 will get more looks I think.... the side vents look brilliant - and its probably easier to play with.. However, I couldnt really justify the price for the performance :(

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

I had the same decision. I went with the V6 and I love it.

If you want a trully fast stripped out trackday car go for a Radical or, as I did, a Westfield XTR2. No VX will keep up woth that.:devilish:

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by VX-Tony on 21 January 2005
Good point James, if you are a big person then the vx220 may not be very suitable.

Big ? Me? LMAO no Im just ancient :D

Quote: Originally posted by James on 21 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by VX-Tony on 21 January 2005Good point James, if you are a big person then the vx220 may not be very suitable.

Big ? Me? LMAO no Im just ancient :D

Oops, sorry, didnt mean to imply anything :oops:

Clio v6

Its ok Tony.
I have actually been looking at the VX, but like the Clio V6, I cant seem to find a towbar for my caravan anywhere :oops:

Embarrassed to say

If your not going to mod the vxt Id go for a v6. The vxt is not as good a track car as you think without upgraded suspension. If your going to mod the vxt it will be a supercar killer; courtney etc can mod it to over 250bhp for a small price and get nitrons fitted it will trounce many performance cars even an unmodded vxr. Or even better wait a few months, all the unsold vxrs in showrooms around the country will need to be sold at significantly less than what they were new.

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by VX-Tony on 21 January 2005
Good point James, if you are a big person then the vx220 may not be very suitable.

My 6ft 6 giant mate could get into it fine. fair play they are a bit tricky to climb in and out of especially with the roof one but lets face it...roof top down all the way, no point fannyng around is there.

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 21 January 2005

I had the same decision. I went with the V6 and I love it.

If you want a trully fast stripped out trackday car go for a Radical or, as I did, a Westfield XTR2. No VX will keep up woth that.:devilish:
Simo, why did you go with the Westfield intead of the Radical?

I saw a Radical thrashing about in Central Milton Keynes the other day - that was funny, god knows what the guy was doing - shopping? ;)

How much is the Lotus Exege these days!? Id go for a supercharged on of those. If not, Id pick the VX220 turbo over the V6.

Yaris Hybrid

Ive driven the VX Turbo on track and it was incredible. No contest really, the V6 doesnt get a look in. As soon as you sit in you know it means business and the V6 isnt even in the same league when it comes to performance.

If you are so old/fat that you have difficulty getting in and out then you should probably forget the V6 as well and just stick to a 1.6 Focus or something.

Go for the VX mate. I own a 172 now and it was between a 172 or an elise. Only got the 172 as it was cheaper to run. Otherwise the Elise would of won hands down. Plus you can take the roof off a VX in the summer

Ive got a 2.2 VX220

VX220 pros/cons (cant comment on a V6);

Very very fast - especially chipped

Near perfect handling and steering feel

Looks - you wont believe how many people stop and stare

Cheapish to run

Vauxhall badge - some worry about it, I dont give a sh*t

Very cold inside in the winter - loads of metal and a terrible heater - also prepare for ice on the inside of the windscreen and bad misting probs

80mph plus - you cant hear the stereo anymore.........very noisy indeed

Getting in and out is, er, interesting!! - you do get used to it but it isnt easy

The driving position, steering wheel etc is perfect - you really do feel like you are in something special

Ride quality - not bad at all, as long as you dont hit a major pot hole - it feels like the car is falling apart if you do

No traction control - in the winter its bloody scarey as the car weighs next to nowt

If you crash it, you will be off the road for months - getting spares is a pain in the arse

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - YOU CAN GET YOUR ROOF OFF WITH A VX :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 21 January 2005
Umm!!!Id go for performance and looks so it would have to be V6!!!The VX is a sportscar but at the same time its a Vauxhall and unfortunatly id always be thinking its brothers and sisters are corsas and vectras etc!!!

in the same way that the clio is made by the same people as the laguna,espace,scenic.............

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by R Springthorpe on 21 January 2005

Go for the VX mate. I own a 172 now and it was between a 172 or an elise. Only got the 172 as it was cheaper to run. Otherwise the Elise would of won hands down. Plus you can take the roof off a VX in the summer
I assume you were going for one of the better Elises? Most people I know with an Elise have the poor mans 120bhp version. They are not quick and Id rather have my 182 even if the running costs were identical.