ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio V6 or VX220 Turbo

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by MOB182 on 21 January 2005

Ive got a 2.2 VX220

Good list - I have a V6 - my comments in yellow

VX220 pros/cons (cant comment on a V6);

Very very fast - especially chipped - V6 not as fast, but still quick

Near perfect handling and steering feel - V6 a bit tail-happy in the wet, but loads of grip.

Looks - you wont believe how many people stop and stare - ditto!

Cheapish to run - ditto

Vauxhall badge - some worry about it, I dont give a sh*t - Renault badge - same issues

Very cold inside in the winter - loads of metal and a terrible heater - also prepare for ice on the inside of the windscreen and bad misting probs - V6 - Comfortable interior - all the comforts of home.

80mph plus - you cant hear the stereo anymore.........very noisy indeed - becomes useless above 90mph in the V6

Getting in and out is, er, interesting!! - you do get used to it but it isnt easy - V6 - Easy access - almost identical to a normal Clio, wide sills can be a pain

The driving position, steering wheel etc is perfect - you really do feel like you are in something special - V6 - High driving position - not really sporty

Ride quality - not bad at all, as long as you dont hit a major pot hole - it feels like the car is falling apart if you do - ditto.

No traction control - in the winter its bloody scarey as the car weighs next to nowt - ditto - scary in the wet.

If you crash it, you will be off the road for months - getting spares is a pain in the arse - no experience, but its probably a similar story with the V6

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - YOU CAN GET YOUR ROOF OFF WITH A VX :cool: - Cant argue with that!

My Cup goes this summer (probably - depends on house move) and Ive been swaying between VXT and V6 or back to a VAG turbo (LCR).

Mate has a VXT and its an absolute blast on track. I was also surprised at how good it was for normal day-to-day driving.

Have to say the V6 probably wont get my vote - it just cant cut it on performance per £, its a weighty beast and the Cup is just as much fun for the type of driving I like to do - so what would I gain from a rather expensive change - other than the rwd experience and a car that stands out (to a degree)

For something really different it has to be the VXT - cheap to run, top off option, you get a high return for ££ spent on tuning coz its forced induction, and when youre in one you feel like you should have paid £40k not £20k !

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mathewroberts/vx/http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mathewroberts/vx/

Thats my vx 220 Turbo, I changed from a 172 to that a few months ago, Re which one to buy v6 or vx I think it comes down to what you want out of the car. A few points though, the vx was always intended to be built that way where as the v6 is adapted from a normal clio, a big mistake on renaults part i beleive is the v6 interior, upgrading from a 172 i would be expecting some improvement but unless you pay out for leather at great cost its just the same. The performance of the V6 is not what it should have been in my opinion. Add to all that a few quid on the vx will see big improvements in performance.

It was very dull when i took those pics and the colour has not come out too well, I will be at oulton park on the 12thFeb so that you can have a good look. Might even be on track , not decided yet.

if the 2litre turbo 4x4 in my astra max was anything to go by, get the vx. much fun. although my van actually pissed all over it, there very easy to tune and good and reliable too.

Elise/VX220/R26

I think a V6 would be marginally more practical but come on a VX220 turbo is a fekkin ferrari eater! it really is in a different league, maybe a direct comparison (other than its similar price tage) is a bit unfair. V6 ate all the pies and the VX is a bullemic russian fasion model on speed.

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 21 January 2005

If your not going to mod the vxt Id go for a v6. The vxt is not as good a track car as you think without upgraded suspension.

Care to elaborate on that in the same breath as a Clio V6!? :confused: And if a VX Turbo isnt that great a track car out of the box, what is?

For practicality the Clio V6 would have it but even that sounds ironic considering they are impractical!! :D Mainly for luxury and comfort compared to the VX.

Huge rant based on everything i know...

Cant speak about the turbo model, i can only assume its mental fast, but with that comes responsability my M8 has just stacked his vx2.2 (yellow peril) and its been out of action for two months just for minor bodywork... he even had to go to TVR to see if they could do it.

i think the 2.2vx is nice but ive been in a 182 v vx220 2.2 from rolling start (me and mate was in the yellow peril) the vx220 doesnt really pull miles ahead maybe three car lenghs to 100mph. all the 0-60 figures are farily pointless as sure its lightweight i.e elise but it only has 150bhp (non turbo) and once upgainst the laws of physics i.e the air preassure at higher speeds you need large bhp. topgear lap times suggest the 182 is faster than an elise around the track although thats probably the 118bhp model they tested. these cars are geared to do fast accelaration but not top speeds, in perspective a 2.0 zetec mondeo has a higher top speed than the 2.2vx

the turbovx would mince many things upto lambo level but with enourmous day to day compromise where as a V6 in my mind is a slightly better compromise. sure it weight more lots more but it still has 255bhp on tap so once moving i think it would be tight between a 2.2vx upto 80mph and then the V6 would walk it (althought turbo would kick ass).

btw why do you want to be noticed so much? surley thats the gayest reason for buying a car ever. why not buy a audiTT or RX8 if you see what im saying. I dont like the boxy looks of the vx, it stands out sure but it isnt a classically good look like the elise its just low and wide ?!? really. If people stop and admire thats one thing.. i personally would be embarassed by people constantly looking at the car. Another thing is all the negative attention a fancy looking car gets, key scracthes theives etc.

so basically forgetting the grp20 insurance of the turbo (if anyone can).. let me tell you one thing i deffo know.. the vx around town is a pig in terms of ride and comfort.. not only that all the quoted figures for economy are pure bullsh*te, my m8 claims he is in the low 20s constantly in his vx2.2 even when taking it easy (apparently town driving eats loads) i cant even imagine how much a turbo vx would munch. then there is tyres.

also wheres the sleeper effect ??

just my thoughts. i think the handles brilliantly but most cars can go round corners fast enough without getting to silly speeds where it gets dangerous for others.. it has to be bought for the track otherwise its wasted. all these fast cars are track cars hence insurance and running cost.

Ive just got swapped a VX 220 Turbo (having had the NA VX220 before that) for a Mk 2 V6, so I am probably reasonably qualified to comment.

First go to http://www.vx220.org.ukwww.vx220.org.uk - this will give you unlimited (free) access to a cracking forum where every question you have relating to the VX will have been answered many times over - including comnents vs. the V6! They also have a very good For Sale section - thats where I sold both my VXs.

Here are my humble opinions based on my own experience:

The VX turbo is bloody fast - in 6 months nothing except a Westfield SEight came close. The power even above 100 mph was amazing - I had a tussle with Holden HSV up to 140 and he was holding me up... Theres no comparison with the NA VX - that was fast but a standard Scooby was as fast in a straight line and probably around corners. However, VXs arent about speed they are about pure driving pleasure - getting a huge smile every time you go for a drive - especially when the top is down on a summers eveving on some good country roads...

Re. running costs, I would say a VX Turbo is cheaper to run than V6. I used the VX Turbo every day, including in heavy traffic and was getting around 30mpg (about 5mpg better than my slghtly modified NA) most of the time. Rear tyres can easliy last 20k miles and fronts over 30k - depending on how you drive - a lot less if you do track days. But replacing them is straightforward - rears around £130 each, fronts around £100. V6 rears are £250 or so each!! I serviced both the turbo and the NA once each and it cost me £140 all in each time. Brakes are expensive - £800 to change all discs and pads - but there are planty of cheaper aftermarket options and changing pads yourself is apparently straightforwrd. There are instructions on http://www.vx220.org.ukwww.vx220.org.uk.

You can tune the bjeezus out of an turbo - 200bhp standard - £500 will get you another 25+bhp. £2k will get you 60bhp+. Brakes and suspension can be upgraded at this point for another £1500 or so. So for around £22k or so (including buying the car) you will get a car that will out handle most other cars on the road and track, will reach 60mph in around 4 secs and top out at over 160mph! Again look at http://www.vx220.org.ukwww.vx220.org.uk for the (many) details of cars that have benn upgraded. The guy who runs the forum had around 330bhp when I last looked and he could leave behind Porsche GT3 and turbos on the track when he had 280bhp!!!

You do get a lot of very positive attention in the VX, much like the V6 and no-one ever belives its a Vauxhall - it doesnt have any Vauxhall badges anywhere, only griffins.

You can pick up an excellent 18 month old car for £18.5k with 15k miles on it, leaving you sapre cash to modify it or you can go for a year-old car for £20k if you buy before the spring. During Spring the prices increase by around 10-20% - you have been warned! Depreciation on the VX is slightly lower than the V6 as far as I can see.

Overall I got rid of the VX because I fancied something different and it is a marginal everyday car. It is bloody cold in the winter and it is pretty uncomfortable for long jounerys and in traffic - compared to the V6 and "normal" cars that is. If you need an everyday car, Id go for the V6. If you want something really fast, that feels alive when you drive it, doesnt cost much to run and wont depreciate (in comparison to the V6) then go for the VX Turbo. If you want something that has 90% of the above but is far more comfortable, then go for the V6. Whichever you choose, you will be very happy!

Good luck with your decision.

[Edited by timr on 22 January 2005 at 2:40pm]

ill post my OPINION, but some may take offence.

VX or lotus = Gay poofter, who dresses hair, and cant drive, just wants to look cool but doesnt!

still a fast car though!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

i have driven a vx220t, as my uncle WAS manager at hartwells in oxford and brouht a demo car round. my summary was, SENSATiONAL. speed was staggering. wasnt even the vxr one!! just a normal turbo!! wickeddddd

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 22 January 2005

VX or lotus = Gay poofter, who dresses hair, and cant drive, just wants to look cool but doesnt!

still a fast car though!
true my m8 with the vx is into his hair big time if there is a really fit bird and she has a normal haircut he doesnt like her she has o have a funky hairdo. gay or what !! a fit bird is a fit bird. he is a ponce hence why he bought the vx so he could pose. sad but true... the V6 is a mans car.

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 22 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 22 January 2005

still a fast car though!
true my m8 with the vx is into his hair big time if there is a really fit bird and she has a normal haircut he doesnt like her she has o have a funky hairdo. gay or what !! a fit bird is a fit bird. he is a ponce hence why he bought the vx so he could pose. sad but true... the V6 is a mans car.

LOL!

get the Vee mate, you wont look back, such a special car!

The problem with a Clio V6 is that you will get hassled by hot hatches, and on a b-road in a Mk1 you will get left behind :p. It also has the potential to be seen, by people less knowledgeable, as a Clio with a bodykit (though I personally think they look good), where the VX will never get that.

TimR probably gave the best advice and summary of reasons of which to go for and why, having owned both.

The V6 is more comfortable (though the VX Turbo rides quite well I reckon), refined and more liveable with everyday but is compromised and doesnt go as well as it looks. The VX is pretty much the opposite so in reality youre basically looking at 2 very different cars, only 2-seats and mid-engine are common attributes.

[Edited by c__w on 22 January 2005 at 4:38pm]

E91 M Sport

The problem with a Clio V6 is that you will get hassled by hot hatches, and on a b-road in a Mk1 you will get left behind :p.

Left behind by who? Didnt see any CTRs or 205s passing me last weekend....they simply dont seem to accelerate properly ;) Those Z3s are especially weak ;);)

It also has the potential to be seen, by people less knowledgeable, as a Clio with a bodykit (though I personally think they look good), where the VX will never get that.

Those same people will see the VX as a kit car....some might think that is worse?

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 22 January 2005

if this argument went outside of CLIOSPORT i think the majority of people would choose the vx turbo!
I doubt it mate, I think itd be very 50/50. 50% would chose the VX for the track/weekend, the other half would chose the V6 for the practicality.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

I tend to see more vx,s around than i do v6,s. Im bias because i own a renault&i love it but if i had the money id get the v6-no question, cos it jus looks the nuts where a vx jus looks very simular 2 any other sports car&i can see the point that iwantav6 is saying. Its just a posers car! The v6 just leaves you opened mouthed!! Get a v6 i guarentee your get more interest from others

Quote: Originally posted by timr on 22 January 2005

V6 rears are £250 or so each!!

You need to shop around mate, I have just had 2 new Pilot Sport 2s, 245x40x18 for £310 fitted = £155 each :)

Simon

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 22 January 2005

The problem with a Clio V6 is that you will get hassled by hot hatches, and on a b-road in a Mk1 you will get left behind :p.

Left behind by who? Didnt see any CTRs or 205s passing me last weekend....they simply dont seem to accelerate properly ;) Those Z3s are especially weak ;);)

It also has the potential to be seen, by people less knowledgeable, as a Clio with a bodykit (though I personally think they look good), where the VX will never get that.

Those same people will see the VX as a kit car....some might think that is worse?

Passing you where?

I know that the Z3 isnt a sports car and its handling is very flawed, its wheelbase is too short, it pitches and dives too much and isnt very well balanced. I knew all this before I bought it, and I didnt buy it to use as that, its comfortable enough, is fine up until 8/10s driving, is a convertible (which is something I wanted to have for a change) and sounds nice with a 2.8 straight six.

Similarly the Clio V6, particularlyl in Mk1 form, is flawed but its special because its a rare bespoke car. However, as you can see from my comments about the Z3, I dont believe whatever current cars I own are the best ever which is someting you dont see much of on here :p

Mark 1 Clio V6

How anyone can say either car is at all practical is a joke.

I had a V6 and it wasnt suitable for everyday use. Far too impractical for what I needed so I sold it. Also the attention you get in a V6 is a pain in the backside. Cant comment on the VX but I doubt it would get as much attention.

I, however, would not even consider a VX220 either, but thats probably because it has much the same downfalls as the Clio.

IMO neither are any use as an every day car.

Id love both, but I think Id go for the VX - real b**ch to get in and out of with thr roof on though and Im only 23 - can see why james would struggle! lol

if you can drive and want to drive fast the VXT has afew short comings,

Spend 5k on the bugger though and you will have a 911 turbo beating car :).

the thing unders steers at speed on track big time, but if you talk to thorny at VX220.org he will help you fix the problems.

all you need is the AMD kit to about 260 BHP, new suspension, and new wheels tyre combo, if you are happy with the speed just fit sus and wheels.

As for VX220 and LOtus being hair dressers cars how about grow up,

Hair dressers buy Z4s we all know this.

If you want a spin in what a vauxhall will handle like with new sus and wheels i can take you out in my Lotus if you wanna drive to Leicester.

As i have the wheels and sus set up on it either that or you can buy mine :) for 18.5k i have spent over 33k on it.

http://www.s2elise.co.uk/eliseweb/frontside.jpg

Elise/VX220/R26

lol @ a VX been called a girls car on a CLIO forum hahahaha Ive never even seen a girl driving a VX

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 23 January 2005

lol @ a VX been called a girls car on a CLIO forum hahahaha Ive never even seen a girl driving a VX

We all know that "small soft top sports cars" are girls cars...its a known fact....lol;)

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 23 January 2005

How anyone can say either car is at all practical is a joke.

I had a V6 and it wasnt suitable for everyday use. Far too impractical for what I needed so I sold it. Also the attention you get in a V6 is a pain in the backside. Cant comment on the VX but I doubt it would get as much attention.

I, however, would not even consider a VX220 either, but thats probably because it has much the same downfalls as the Clio.

IMO neither are any use as an every day car.
craig - it depends entirely on the person. i dont have kids, i live alone, and my V6 is my everyday car. i go shopping in it, go to work in it, infact my other two cars have probably got flat batterys by now, they havent been used in 2 months!

ofcourse if you have kids then your fooked, but luggage isnt a problem IMO, there is enough room for most things.

get the VX and you will love it - until the roof leaks and you have to sit on a wet seat, go round a bend and get a wet head, ooh lovely!

if you only want a car to turn heads id say you will have more luck in the v6 but it depends where you stay.ive seen loads of the vauxhalls and tbh dont really pay them much attention anymore.the vx is an amazing car when you see or probobly feel it being driven how it should be but the looks are on the kit car side of sports cars.

the v6 id say is a lot rarer but id only consider it over the vauxhall if it was a mk2.when you see a v6 you have to look it just stands out a mile day or night you come up behind one and you just think what the **** is that?!!and the tune a v6 will beat a 4 pot any day!

i aint ging to comment on performance as you say you want it for looks but im sure their both very capable.

in my opinion though even though i wouldnt get the looks id be holding out for a 2nd hand boxter,v6,convertible,made by a company that knows about dedicated sports cars and pretty quick!people will say its a womans car which is fair enough but its be my choice

We all know that "small soft top sports cars" are girls cars...its a known fact....lol;)

Simon.

And the Renault Nicole, sorry Clio, is most definitely a womans car. Its a statistical fact that more Clios are driven by female hairdressers than any other car in the World. I work in market research, so I should know...;)

Tim (past owner of 2 VXs and current owner of 1 Clio) AKA "Michelle" (but only at the weekend)

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by c__w on 23 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 22 January 2005

Passing you where?

I know that the Z3 isnt a sports car and its handling is very flawed, its wheelbase is too short, it pitches and dives too much and isnt very well balanced. I knew all this before I bought it, and I didnt buy it to use as that, its comfortable enough, is fine up until 8/10s driving, is a convertible (which is something I wanted to have for a change) and sounds nice with a 2.8 straight six.

Similarly the Clio V6, particularlyl in Mk1 form, is flawed but its special because its a rare bespoke car. However, as you can see from my comments about the Z3, I dont believe whatever current cars I own are the best ever which is someting you dont see much of on here :p
I was just having a little go, no offence ;) I used to own a Z3 2.8 as well, which I bought for the same reasons as you - looked good, soft top and great engine (which sounded brilliant with my power-losing K&N on there :p).

My comment was simply sticking up for V6s as a hot hatch. My car is a 2002 model, and against the cars that were out in that year (CTR, LCR) I dont think that the V6 would be left behind on the average road.

Cossie, R26, 172 Cup

What is all the hype with a V6.?! Ive driven them and i am not impressed. They seem sluggish and have poor handling and slow acceleration. The are very overpriced for what they are.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

i think there overpriced 2, but as for handling all the mags say they grip good?!! until they do let go, when the problem arises, that they really are a b**ch to correct due to short wheel base. i dont think 5.8 secs 0-60 is slow tho!

E91 M Sport

Depends how you view them though, if like Turbo200 you compare them to the cup, I agree, the throttle response is poor and it doesnt feel agile and chuckable but as a grand tourer, its hard to beat. The engine has bags of torque, sounds great and the ride is near perfect for UK roads.

Coming from an FRP, I wondered what all the hype was with the cup, yeah it was quick, but not nearly as involving, which is what a hot hatch aims to be.

The VX is much quicker and rawer than the V6, through design.

Quote: Originally posted by Turbo 200 on 23 January 2005

What is all the hype with a V6.?! Ive driven them and i am not impressed. They seem sluggish and have poor handling and slow acceleration. The are very overpriced for what they are.
Thats the bottom line with the V6 - in terms of performance per £, it falls short.

Given the money and the hype (which perhaps doesnt help), I just wasnt impressed with it as a package.

If I wanted a tourer, I would probably consider an R32. For "hang-it-out, 10/10s" action, neither would even make the short-list.

So, as said above, it all depends on what you want from your wheels.