ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mark Fish Clio cup track car

Cup Turbo, Flamer
i was thinking bout getting sum of them colways think they would be a nice cheap tyre for trackdays but seeing your results i mite give them a miss. hope u get your car sorted. i think i mite of seen it at the ring last easter was u there?

Yes mate i was there cracking weekend, was meant to be going this easter as well, but obviously can't now!!

Colway have gone bust now anyway, so can't get them anymore! No wonder if they produced tyres like that eh!!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Just see your post on there Jon!

I've talked to DT a lot about compensation for damage replacement tyres etc etc. Here’s the response…

""Regrettably, as previously mentioned by Sian, the failure of these tyres is not covered under the terms of warranty due to their application and use on the track. Our Terms and Conditions on our website do explain that items used in such conditions carry no such warranty - please see Note 15, this can be found in Limitations Upon Liability.

Nevertheless, that said, we would normally address any matters with the manufacturer thus giving them the opportunity to assist in redeeming a situation, unfortunately on this occasion the Colway company has since ceased trading. This also limits our options of asking them to inspect and investigate the condition of the tyres and to confirm the cause of failure. The de-lamination could have been caused by an impact, over-heating, under-inflation and so on.

Unfortunately, as we are unable to confirm the usage and conditions that these tyres may have endured, and unable to find any history of similar faults, we are unable to accept your claim for replacement tyres and costs of the damage to your vehicle.

However, in view of maintaining our relationship with you, we would offer a generous discount against replacement tyres of another brand, or indeed another product altogether to help offset your loss""

That discount will probably go towards a set of R888’s LOL

182 FF & 306 Rallye
I've seen brand new Colways fall to pieces after just a few laps on a friends car. I think "s**t" would be an understatement. I can't believe they still sell tbh.

b/g 182, meg tourer
get some yoko prada's for track, they should do the job :)
stunning car tho matey, just not a fan of the wheels and the colour of them! lol

Mk2 172
I bought the hankook rs2's from camskill in 195 50 15 for my track wheels and i found them really good at cadwell. Not as good as toyos or yokos maybe but at least there a track tyre and for 49 quid each i thought that was a bargain!!!!! :)

Renaultsport 220T
I've heard reasonable things about those Colways as well! How old were they mate?

I heard about your clutch and gearbox problems from Steve. Real RS cull going on at the mo! Mark is going to be a busy guy over the next month!

Aye. :dapprove:

Shocking about those Colways John.

Have you spoken to Mark about a clutch yet?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Nah not yet mate, i'll probably be dropping the box down to him but i'll probably be taking it out myself as the funds are tight!

I'm in no rush to get it all done, so perfect time to get my hands dirty!!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Right...update time....the rebuild has begun!

I managed to limp the car round to my bay and reverse it on the ramps, got half way up and the release bearing caved in and stalled the car, therefore no drive to reverse the whole way up!!! Managed to find some ratchet straps, attach it to my mates front tow eye and get the car fully up on the back. This was the progress from last weekend...

IMG_0999.jpg

Always good with a little help from ya buddies...

IMG_1000.jpg

First port of call was to start stripping the front end off and start disconnecting the various pipes, clips, sensors from the engine..

Front end..

IMG_1001.jpg

Engine lookign bare..
IMG_1006.jpg

Collant being drained..
IMG_1004.jpg

Carbon canister removed..

IMG_1008.jpg

All tucked away..

IMG_1016.jpg

Yesterday took seasts out and interior is ready to be painted...pics to follow.

Next step is to find an engine harness bar, suspend the engine and get the box and duff clutch out!! Ready for the new clutch and get the box reconditioned!

Keep posted!!

M

mini-valver

Looking good mate! Take it you're painting the inside in mondial?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Right update time.....

Nothing has happened for ages, simply due to time, but as it was Bank Holiday i had an extra few days to work on the car.

The gearbox oil was drained and the driveshafts, hub assembly and discs were taken out

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Then we took the bonnet off, not really necessary but made moving about in the bay a lot easier! Can’t believe how bare it looks….!

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

We cracked on after a tea break and aligned the engine brace so we could get the subframe off, undo the gearbox mount and drop the box out.

Engine brace

CIMG1132.jpg

CIMG1125.jpg

Subframe off

CIMG1128.jpg

The last job before we dropped the box out was to undo all the bolts holding the gearbox in, make sure the gear linkage was clear so it didn’t get bent and then undo the gearbox mount…..

CIMG1126.jpg

And hey presto….it’s out!!

CIMG1133.jpg

CIMG1134.jpg

You can see the remains of my release bearing…in pieces! The input shaft needs replacing as well as the bearing has made dips on it where it’s failed!

Also took the clutch out, the clutch plate was fooked, again where the bearing had failed, the plate looked ok, but didn’t have that much left on it!

So there we are…I’ll put some pics up later of the clutch cover. Hopefully should be up and running again soon!!

172 Race Car
Fook!

Im definately gonna change my clutch now seeing that, my bearing makes a horrible noise sometimes.

Good work, easy enough job?

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Hi John, good to see you cracking on with it...

Do you recall how much Mark F charged you to fit your cage?? (feel free to PM if you don't want to post...)

Cheers, Baggers.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Fook!

Im definately gonna change my clutch now seeing that, my bearing makes a horrible noise sometimes.

Good work, easy enough job?

Yeah not too bad, took about 1hr 30 mins to get the box out after the driveshafts had been taken out. So wasn't oo bad, plus i could pick the box up myself, was heavy but could manage it!

It went about a year after it started making that noise, that was with track days in between as well!

Good to see progress being made. Will be good to see back on the road.
:D

Cheers mate :D Will be good to get to some meets again!

Hi John, good to see you cracking on with it...

Do you recall how much Mark F charged you to fit your cage?? (feel free to PM if you don't want to post...)

Cheers, Baggers.

Was about £500. It's an OMP one, and in Mark's own words "was a pain in the ass to fit" just because it needs towers making up and welding in as the middle hoop doesn't reach the floor!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Quick update....

the gearbox is being dropped back from the repair HQ today already to be put back in, the list of what was wrong was....

3rd gear selector fork

2nd & 3rd gear syncro

spigot bearing

nose cone needed to be replaced where the release bearing failed

That was it! So it's all lubed up and ready to go back in...need to get a clutch first!!!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
The bloke who did it owed my Dad a favour or 2 so fixed it for next to nothing, bonus really as i'm skint!

Yeah OMp bolt in

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Quick update....and pics to follow....

Been purchasing a few bits on the sly and saving some pennies to get it working again...

Managed to get some hand me down bargains from FMP (cheers mate!)

Mocal Oil cooler with thermostat

Cup Racer tow eye

Helix Group N Clutch Kit

Also purchased all my oils needed to service and get it running again, apart from gearbox oil...any suggestions...?

I'll get the pics up tonight of them all!

P.S. can a mod move this to the project sections, cheers!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Top work! I was thinking of going for the omp cage but after seeing the fitment I'm not so sure!

If you had the choice again would you still get the omp one or go for an SD cage?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I'm not sure to be honest, I probably would go for the SD cage, but as i got this one for £250 off Scambay i wasn't too fussed!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Sorry for the lack of updates, been working to raise some much needed cash to get it running!

I'll do a full update over the weekend, but here's the lowdown....

IT'S RUNNING!!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Right...bit later than expected but here is the update....

After a very long wait i decided to get the new clutch, refurbished gearbox and oil cooler fitted and give it a test start...it didn't all go to plan.....

After giving the flywheel a good sanding down (it was covered in surface rust due to the cover I had on the car splitting directly above the block, opening the engine up to all the elements!) We got the new clutch in, relatively easy job to be honest, it was the gearbox that decided to be a b**ch! Well TBH it’s my own fault for not labeling what goes where when I took it apart!!

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Haven’t got any pics of us getting the gearbox in….

Wishbones / subframe etc bolted back in

IMG_1908.jpg

Driveshaft’s put back where they belong

IMG_1909.jpg

After the driveshaft’s where put back in and all hubs bolted back together, we hooked up all the plugs/sensors that where originally all taken off to aid access.

Once that had been checked and double checked we set about installing the oil cooler, nice and easy job, although we’ve got the ghetto cable tied look at the moment until I set about bolting the bracket up!

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

Put the new engine oil in and filled the new gearbox up…with the help from a bit of old hosepipe!

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Then….judgment day….would it start first time for the best part of 10 months….... sort of!

It spat and spluttered into life, although with a misfire, doh!!!! With it popping and banging and idling about 2k! I decided to turn off and check the regular (plugs and leads).

They were screwed! Where the rain, frost and other rubbish had got into the bay from the split in the cover, gloop had turned the leads to rust as well as the top of the plugs! So no wonder it had a misfire, surprised it even started after that!!

Quick visit to the K-tec website, and 2 days later and brand new set of magnecor leads and NGK plugs landed at my doorstep (picture to follow….)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Here's what the car looks like at the moment..

IMG_1916.jpg

The battery isn't holding charge at all now so need a new battery now as well. I've just ordered new front brakes so they should be on at the weekend.

Just need to order up some new suspension bolts as the others have rusted and just because!!

Then all whats left to get it back on the road is, MOT, insurance and Tax!

It may be nearly road worthy but no where near complete.....keep checking for updates!

I might actually be able to come to some meets soon as well!!