ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mk1 Clio 16v Project

Williams20V-306BHP
Engine and golf gti gearbox is purchased, thanks to a friend, and he is also fabricating me the engine mounts over the next few weeks.

Like i say if you need any pics of flan's conversion or anything let me know.

Was chatting with a fella the other day who did a 20v turbo conversion on a mk1 and it sounds like an interseting conversion to say the least

If only they new ay Craig... ;)

PS i've got one too

IMG_0015.gif

IMG_0013.gif

lol :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's a VAG 1.8T

Fitted to the Golf/A3/S3/TT/Leon/Octavia etc in various states of tune. Bullet-proof and can take good power on standard internals if you buy the right engine.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Whats the engine originally out of Craig?

I wouldn't like running the 150/180 bhp one at 300bhp.

The 225 unit has stronger internals.

clio mk1
hi mate iv'e just started the same conversion as you and i was wundering what mounts are you using? also what are you going to use for manegment cos for now am not sure what to go with but fof now am just guna build on ontill i get there;)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Waity - this is an AGU is from the golf 150hp standard. I investigated these engines a lot, and the AGU is supposed to be one of the strongest engines to use, plus it has the big port head and cable throttle. Its teh AUM 150hp ones which aren't as strong!

I've seen lots of these running the around 300 mark easy. Any more than 330 ish and you will need to think about better internals, but I don't intend to go that daft... :)

Beaniemoo - Flan isnt building it, but he is sorting me the engine mounts as he has done them before.

Bantan45 - custom engine mounts required, management I am going for Emerald.

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
AGU engine and box go for about £1k usually. The TT/S3 ones tend to go for around £1500-£2k, but they do come with the bigger turbo and injectors as standard. The TT/S3 box doesn't fit though, and they also have drive by wire throttle and the smaller port head, hence the golf one being the best option with a few upgrades.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Not a lot to start with matey.

Standard engine, Ko4 turbo, TT injectors, FMIC, custom downpipe, exhaust Emerald ECU with full map from Dave at emerald.

Few other bits and bobs for the car, but nothing more on the engine I don't think for the time being.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ahh! Not shy then!

K04 is from the 225-spec engine, right?

Awesome setup by the way, i'll be following this closely!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Yeh its the standard turbo on the TT 225. Looked into a bigger one, but for what I want there is no point at this stage, I want something thats driveable as well as just quick. Read a lot of info on the vag forums, and unless you want 300+ power the Ko4 is the best option.

Cheers Christopher!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Was Dave the one who mapped flans?

Good to see your using the AUG motor.

clio mk1
Thanx mate but have you got any pics of your build so far?
i have found a few pics of a 20v and the guy has used a mk4 golf gearbox mount for the drivers side mount but it looked like there was a spacer between the chassis mount and the mount on the block he also cut some of the subframe to get the engine to sit lower.

Williams20V-306BHP
i have found a few pics of a 20v and the guy has used a mk4 golf gearbox mount for the drivers side mount but it looked like there was a spacer between the chassis mount and the mount on the block he also cut some of the subframe to get the engine to sit lower.

Yer that was my first one ;)

There was a gearbox mount on the offside with a bracket that attached it to the std alloy mount on the engine, Underneith was a one off attatching the box to the subframe (where the dog mount is std) then the gearbox was actually 2 tractor engine mounts lol

the subframe is a must. i could have mounted it higher but everyone knows the lower the center of gravity the better, i also tilted it back slightly to reduce the weight on the front slightly.

That was my first 20v conv and i will do it slightly different for Craigs one. Im gonna use the std golf mounts and hopefully the std clio mounting point. Hopefully that will mean the engine conv can be switched between cars if the shell ever gets totaled ;)

Should keep me busy for a few weeks ;)

clio mk1
Top man that was good to here.
so the golf mount is ok for the offside mount but to mount it do you weld a plate to were the existing mounting point was and then tap the plate to the right size hole but do you have any pics of the gearbox mount?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Saturday update.

Took the F7P out today! Going to tidy things up a bit, then its going down for the mounts to be made up.

DSC009701024x768.jpg

DSC009721024x768.jpg

FMIC arrived too!

DSC009601024x768.jpg

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
couldnt tell you m8 think code is apx does have halo and clocks it was out a 225 tt quattro is currently on ebay for 1500 buy it now and forgot to mention comes with box but is 4wd so not really much use

Williams20V-306BHP
apx is 9:1 (bam is 9.5:1)
forged crank
non vvt (which is cool)
k04
internal waterpump
DBW
Large Injectors
20mm Piston pin.

Good engine... but your spamming so stick it in the classifieds ;)

Craig.... Any updates. Like when you bringing it down! Im sure someone on here must have a trailer.

##HINT, HINT## :D

ValverInBits
Mark One said:
like i say if you need any pics of flan's conversion or anything let me know.
If only they new ay Craig... ;)
lol :D

pwned :dapprove:

lol, I've been busy researching your 20v MK1 tho flan :approve:
How many 20v MK1s are there now? I was only aware of your black one.
Going to look at a valver tommorrow, then I'm in the market for an AGU :cool:

Williams20V-306BHP
To my knowledge there is only My MK1 that Big Steve on RTOC now ownes, there is only 1MK2 Matt blacks old one and there is a R5 20v built by Scoff on RTOC

there may be more in the pipeline though... ;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Look forward to seeing how this comes out Craig....hell if I come onto money I may end up buying it off you when you decide to sell! ;)

hello

is this still going on

its a really good job and want to do something similar, and i read this far and then its gone

need more input.... number 5 .. is alive

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Still going on yeh, there will be an update soon.

The car is currently having the engine mounts made.

I have a little 'upgrade' which I've recently purchased also, check back soon! ;)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Not yet unfortunately, but room is being left for one.

I have picked up an almost brand new Seat Sport btcc built 20vt engine though.

ValverInBits
Not yet unfortunately, but room is being left for one.

I have picked up an almost brand new Seat Sport btcc built 20vt engine though.

saw that for sale. Wasnt it on club Gti? or was it edition38?

Very nice mate. Will be interested to see how this progresses

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Bit of an update!

Clio now has the engine in place, driveshafts made and fitted, williams wide track on, manual rack on.

Hopefully picking it up next week so will get some photo's and get cracking with the rest of it!

ValverInBits
I've picked up my AGU 20v and my engine comes out tommorrow :) . Not going to be finished for ages yet though.

Would love to see the photos. What turbo did you go for in the end? and is this the seat touring car block?