ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new toy. LY Megane R26

LY R26 #288
Put a new heater resistor pack in today, still hasn't solved my problem. Fan does nothing. My next step will be to check the connection to the fan, and also theres a relay in the circuit that could potentially stop it working or so I'm told. It did come on randomly the other day for a few seconds then went off again which leads me to believe there is a dodgy connection somewhere.

LY R26 #288
Managed to get to be bottom of this today. New resistor pack was working, I was getting twelve volts at the fan. So removed the fan expecting it to be seized. Nope it was fine. Turns out the fan terminals were slightly corroded. Cleaned them up. Plugged it all back in and now it's beautiful again. No more steaming up and freezing my b****cks off in the mornings.

y3e5yny3.jpg
4equduza.jpg

Mini Cooper S sport
I honestly can't remember as it was about 5 years ago now, just a local smart repair guy. I think it might even have been Chipsaway.

But it is possible :)

LY R26 #288
A new tool turned up today :) a blind bearing puller. So I can refurb my hub bearings as the swivel hub bearings seem to be a common problem and cause play in the wheels, stiff steering and knocking.

Just waiting for the bearings to turn up now. Managed to source them from Mark Black on the megane sport forum.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
That was one thing that I was looking at when I was going to get one .

Along with injectors and DMFW .

Alan

A new tool turned up today :) a blind bearing puller. So I can refurb my hub bearings as the swivel hub bearings seem to be a common problem and cause play in the wheels, stiff steering and knocking.

Just waiting for the bearings to turn up now. Managed to source them from Mark Black on the megane sport forum.

LY R26 #288
Yeah it's a common problem. I think Renault want 400 for each hub?

I think Ktec sell them for 200 a side.

I'm just going to do them myself for 80 quid lol.

Unfortunately I might not run my car at the rr if I can't get them done in time. It drives like crap and it's doing the outside edges or the tyres where the geometry is messed up by the knackered bearings. I'll still come in my mates 182 though.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So your no looking like you will be running the R26 :(

The weather for tomorrow looks better so should be able to get it done in a day .

Alan

Yeah it's a common problem. I think Renault want 400 for each hub?

I think Ktec sell them for 200 a side.

I'm just going to do them myself for 80 quid lol.

Unfortunately I might not run my car at the rr if I can't get them done in time. It drives like crap and it's doing the outside edges or the tyres where the geometry is messed up by the knackered bearings. I'll still come in my mates 182 though.

LY R26 #288
Yes mate that was the plan. Although I paid for the bearings Monday night unfortunately I'm yet to receive them which is the issue.

Bit annoying to say the least but that's the way it goes. Post mans been today and nothing. So unless they come tomorrow morning I won't be doing them obviously.

LY R26 #288
Fingers crossed pal. Love it when you pm to ask if they've been posted and get no response ;)

That's a no then.

LY R26 #288
Yeah I know, not to worried about it right now as the car is filthy anyway, and the weather just wont let up to do anything with it. Cant wait for the summer now tbh. Might see if I can get a smart repair then.

LY R26 #288
Unfortunately we won't be making it to the rolling road tomorrow now lol.

Only half way through doing these bearings as the car really wasn't playing ball. Everything was going well until we went to get the driveshaft out the hub. Numerous bearings with a sledge hammer finally released it. But yeah I've got to crack on tomorrow to do the other side. Bit gutted as I wanted to run it but can't be helped.

Doing the swivel hub bearings isn't an easy task unfortunately.

LY R26 #288
Finally finished changing my swivel hub bearings.

yqajegus.jpg
e6u6uvyz.jpg
yvyzajeh.jpg

Turns out the near side one wasn't too bad but the offside was knackered. Car drives completely different now.

LY R26 #288
Tyres or brakes.

I'm not sure what to do about brakes yet, they need doing. OEM drilled discs which are standard on the R26 come in at £200 yet the solid ones which the 225 uses are £100? £100 more for less disc? lol.

Apparently the guys over on 197.net have tried MTEC discs and rate them, a pair of drilled discs from them is £75. Worth a punt?. OEM discs are Brembo.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I WOULD BE MORE FUSSED ABOUT WHAT PADS I WOULD PUT IN .

ALAN

Tyres or brakes.

I'm not sure what to do about brakes yet, they need doing. OEM drilled discs which are standard on the R26 come in at £200 yet the solid ones which the 225 uses are £100? £100 more for less disc? lol.

Apparently the guys over on 197.net have tried MTEC discs and rate them, a pair of drilled discs from them is £75. Worth a punt?. OEM discs are Brembo.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Looking good Joe, you've done quite a lot to it since you've had it!
Seems we both went the same way with our old cars (selling them for a Megane)!
I had my Hub Swivel Bearings done as well in December, I made the long journey from Essex upto Mark Black for him to fit them, like you say the car drives so much better since having them fitted don't they.
Will have to have another Essex/Kent meet soon and get a few pictures.

Regarding the Brakes; as mine is a Cup it came with Drilled Discs as standard however I bought Brembo OEM Replacement which were solid disks and they only came too £75 delivered for the front discs, OEM Brembo Pads were £35 delivered & OEM Brembo Calliper Pins were £20 per side, I got Two Techs in Dartford to fit the Brakes for me and they only charged 1 hour's labour, so it only cost me £200 for front brakes, much better than all Renault Parts!

LY R26 #288
Yeah too much mate! haha. The difference is ridiculous, I don't know why but it was affecting my confidence in the car. I took it out for a quick thrash after I finished the bearings, and just felt so much more confident, I could actually feel what was happening under the front wheels lol.

Id be up for a meet, unfortunately the meets on the Megane forums seem few and far between but I'll go to a few Clio meets in it no doubt. Mark Black is the megane wizard.

Are you still running it as standard?.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
That's how I felt mate it's like night and day since having them changed , seems to take long sweeping bends much better now thean it did beforehand.
Yeah since I've had mine I've been to no Megane meets as there don't seem to be any so will goto Clio meets instead.
Mine is still standard apart from a panel filter and backbox chop at the moment. Next plan is tyres and a stage 1 map, I had the clutch and DMF done last year as mine started slipping at 58k so. Now is the time to get a remap done, I'll probably go to RS Tuning for it.
Are you going to map yours mate?

LY R26 #288
I'm tempted, my cars on 57k and original clutch as far as I'm aware. I know the clutches on these don't last very long so that kinda puts me off adding a dollop of torque lol. It doesn't slip at all now, but I can't help thinking an extra 30ftlb might help it start. Maybe once Ive got everything done I might. I'd do the clutch myself but even the parts aren't cheap.

I'd like to get my back box chopped. Does it make it much louder?.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I think you'll probably be ok with only 57k however it depends on the previous owners and how it's been driven. I think it's Tim on here with the LY R26 and is stage 2 and has been for a while and he's not had to change his clutch/flywheel yet so it does depend on how you treat it.
Parts are expensive the DMF alone is £350ish lol.
The chop makes it a bit louder, it pops and bangs a lot more and the turbo whistle is a lot louder worth it IMO for only £50.

LY R26 #288
£50!? That's well worth it. I don't want it much louder whilst driving normally. I just want that jet sound on boost to be louder lol.

Who done your back box?

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Yes mate £50. That's exactly how it sounds with the chop a lot louder jet sound.
I got it done by a Custom exhaust garage in Basildon in Essex called Pipecraft mate.

LY R26 #288
So there haven't been many updates recently and the car looked like a tip. Had about 3 inches of salt on it off the roads lol. So yesterday I set out to sort a few things out..

Investigate why the headlight washer jets didn't appear to be working. Upon removing the bumper the connector to the washer pump was not pushed all the way in? strange, so that was an easy fix they now work perfectly.

Fit my LED side light bulbs as since fitting HIDS the side lights looked ridiculous in yellow.

Re-align the front bumper as it wasn't quiet sitting right from when I took it off to do the belts.

Tried the little dash rattle fix that everyone speaks about on the meg forums, which is to spray the foam strip between the dash and windscreen with DW40 as this rattles like a mother and its doing my head in, although it appears it needs more as it hasn't quiet stopped it yet!.

Gave it good old clean inside and out as well. I was chuffed to bits after as I'd forgotten what a lovely colour the car actually was under the s**t lol.

Bumper off again... becoming a regular occurrence.
12813144144_3dc7c36a0d_z.jpg

IMG_0884 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

All Clean...
12812717745_70d2a05f9a_z.jpg

IMG_09021 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12812698345_33d149a3dc_z.jpg

IMG_09041 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12812765463_4f132f1c12_z.jpg

IMG_09061 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12813076794_ae0aaf2c0c_z.jpg

IMG_09081 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12812647235_effbf7ed78_z.jpg

IMG_09101 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12812633635_8c9fdb383b_z.jpg

IMG_09121 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12812704333_1abb6c62b2_z.jpg

IMG_09161 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

12812603155_cea2c5b53a_z.jpg

IMG_09181 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

I was dreading cleaning it and seeing the full extent of the damage from when that tosser hit my car a few weeks ago, but actually when I'd finished you could barely see any damage, and what there is I think will polish out.

12812722345_82d4ee28d8_z.jpg

IMG_0922 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Hardly noticeable!. :)

Also there's a small crease on the rear arch that was on the car when I got it, I will be getting this taken out very shortly
12812809453_9afa470e1e_z.jpg

IMG_0920 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Apologies for the poor iphone pics. Just wanted to update my thread with something!.