ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Nissan 200sx S14a **Jap Crap Content**

The normal Hi Power is pretty loud apparently. If it's no quieter I'll just flog it, like I said I wasn't too keen on a 5" tip, but didn't want any of the cheap monkey metal stainless the UK traders sell as their own branded exhausts.

Might as well have a bit of an update seeing as it's the weekend. Been steadily plodding along after work all week with this.

Found my breather hose to the turbo to be in bad shape due to being so close to the exhaust manifold, so had to get myself another one...
13092010108.jpg

Got on with getting the exhaust from the downpipe back off...
14092010115.jpg

14092010118.jpg

Then I was able to pull the turbo/manifold & elbow out in one lump...
15092010127.jpg

15092010128.jpg

Got that apart, so cracked on with the wastegate actuator (made sure it was nice and free & anti-seized up)...
16092010130.jpg

Then turbo lines...
16092010132.jpg

Compressor Wheel doesn't look in bad shape, play wasn't too bad either...
16092010131.jpg

Wrapped the manifold up (absolute horrendous task, never doing that again), and attached it to the turbo with the new gasket. Then put it back on...
19092010135.jpg

Wastegate actuator left with the shield off, so it can be adjusted...
19092010136.jpg

And a sneaky braided line...
19092010137.jpg

Got the rest of the exhaust to fit, downipe will be the hardest part of that, then bleed her up and get it running for a run up to Knockhill next weekend for the BDC.

Monaco 172
Coming along really nicely mate, engines with boost look complicated to a novice like myself but I can't wait to have a turbo in my life :)

Think my first will be one of these as you awesome example has swayed me - keep it up! :)

You soon grasp it, it's only a few extra pipes and a bit of metal. This car is far better to work on than any FWD european car I've touched with spanners, just well thought out and a bit of extra space helps too.

Monaco 172
Oh yeah I know what you mean, when I used to work on my Polo even though it was a 1.0l, sod all space in it, was a nightmare.

I'm a sold Japanese fanboy now, I don't think I will go European again, possibly BMW but that's about it.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i would of put the downpipe on to the turbo then fitted it all in one go to save an arse ache.... i threaded my oil feed on the block... i had to get it to a garage and have the block tapped and helicoiled with the engine in place... cost me 400 quid :/ the stock turbo is pretty strong on them... get a gtir rear housing its a bigger a/r and is more fun :D if you do upgrade the turbo... i would seriously consider the holset hx30 or 35 if your wanting a bucket load of power in the sr... but the 30 is a good upgrade! and cheap too! just block up the water ways with bolts on the block i actually ran my stock turbo with no water pipes for a while i saw no massive issue with it...

oh if you do the downpipe the way it is... trust me on this wear goggles lol... i ended up in hospital when i did that, little bit of metal dropped in my eye and hurt soooo much :( also get yourself a catch can... the stock breather scares me... oil vapour in a hose that close to a mani is just asking for a fire :( seen soooo many with melted and holed hoses on tubi mani's but you will notice a massive heat difference now you have wrapped... though first time you run it... expect alot of smoke and dont panic lol!

I wasn't sure the downpipe would fit through from above so didn't want to risk it. I will eventually get a catch can, but for now a new hose is better than the one I took off. I'm used to the heatwrap smoke, seen it before lol.

I don't know if I'll upgrade the turbo TBH.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I used to love taking my sx apart. Easiest car ive worked on without a doubt. Well that and my Glanza..

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
they are easy to work on but the thing that always fucked me over every time without fail was removing the oilfilter... especially with the inlet mani brace on it.... i actually went mental more than once on mine lol! i chucked an axe across the road, through a hedge... across the next road in to a field :D

Knew my gearbox had an oil drip, but didn't know it has this hole in it. Guess somebody knocked that hole in to keep oil off the clutch, must be a leaky input seal :(
20092010138.jpg

Downpipe on, need to bodge a mount out of something now. Wish I'd never started this job!
20092010139.jpg

Rest of the exhaust is dangling on, and I've got myself a nice shoe shaped dent in the rear quarter, lost my rag big time :(. Good job the bodywork is so s**t really, just got to gain access to push it back out.

Bolting the exhaust up on the floor worked, seemed because the downpipe is literally touching the heatshield it was causing difficulties.

So, Horsham Developments got me a new Lambda sensor here within 24hours, so banged that on, fitted the remainder of the boost pipes. Fired it up, sounded a lot quieter and no leaking exhaust. Then heard a loud trickle. Then saw a large pool of oil. s**t!!!!! Turned the car off, chucked some sand underneath then investigated.

21092010147.jpg

Now, when Hose Solutions sent me the braided hoses, one of the oil feed copper washers didn't fit. So I re-used an old one. And that was the culprit, so I'll have to get some new copper washers.

Also made a start on an exhaust to gearbox mount...
21092010148.jpg

Will consist of 2 M10 bolts and 6 nuts tomorrow lol.

2.2 bar shed.
Good job I took tomorrow off, otherwise I'll have to make the journey to Knockhill in Soph's 1.2 Clio. Which would be like being shot with aids in the face repeatedly.

Sounds like trying to overtake with my BMW...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
dont mean to worry you... but take the thermo housing off completely and check it for cracks... i have cracked a few in my time lol... if you put it on and the thermo drops down or sits funny you can crack the housing/pipe bit... i had mine ally welded up in the end.... if its on there flush... there isnt really a reason for it to leak unless its cracked or warped...

All is good, so far. Been out for a run and temperature gauge is holding at the same place it used to, no leaks from what I can see.

Seems a bit quicker to come on boost now, must be a combination of the HKS Wastegate Actuator and the fact all the exhaust fumes are getting to it. So weird having such a quiet exhaust too, I miss all the popping on overrun a lot lol.

Not very impressed with the centre silencer ground clearance, so I need to look at that.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I think a big problem with the S bodies is the exhausts hanging down tbh, A lot of the cars I've seen the exhausts are hanging down quite a bit below the floor of the car and mines the same. Maybe you could try and knock up another mount?

It's the Hi Power that's sitting funny, the rest is nice. Spoke too soon on the coolant leak, there's a weep coming from the housing. I'm wondering if Hylomar isn't up to sealing this joint.

Thermostat housing attempt number 3 has gone like this...

Cleaned everything multiple times over, sealing faces were almost reflective. Tiny smear of hylomar to hold the thermostat in it's recess, this helped no end. Loctite 573 instant gasket used to create the seal.

Bled it again, now leaving it overnight with a drip collector to see if it leaks. Here's hoping.

Can't see the f**king thing making Knockhill. Had a 20 minute run to fill the tank up, and it's dropped a litre of coolant. Liquid gasket clearly isn't the way forwards, I'm going to have to make a proper gasket next week at work.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
you can get high temp gasket stuff... you need to make sure that its all bone dry though... and let it dry completely before you put coolant through it etc...

Chav Rocket
573 is low strength sealant iirc. get a good flange to flange sealant. put some on both faces of the stat where it sits may be easier to smear it on the housing instead, then put on both the flange faces and do up tight. GSF do some which is good - used it many a time with no issues on assembly/dissasembly. its called dircon or dirtek or something i think. the paste is RED.

Jonni

I need to start boxing again really, helped me no end with my patience! I've smacked the majority of it out this morning, doesn't look brilliant but then the bodywork doesn't anyway.

I don't think they have a weight class small enough or you unless you want to beat up 5 year olds ;) only kidding mate hope you have a good time at knockhill I wanted to watch the insanity too but couldn't get my s**t organised in time lol oh btw dent in rear quarter= rivetted on wide arch kit and stupid camber lol

573 is low strength sealant iirc. get a good flange to flange sealant. put some on both faces of the stat where it sits may be easier to smear it on the housing instead, then put on both the flange faces and do up tight. GSF do some which is good - used it many a time with no issues on assembly/dissasembly. its called dircon or dirtek or something i think. the paste is RED.

Jonni

It is low strength, but the housing bolts are only nipped up (9nm = f**k all) anyway. The data sheet says it is 100% resistant to ethylene glycol after 1000hours at 100C, so in theory it's more than man enough. I'm not paying for a sealant anyway, I'll rummage around at work, but TBH I'm tempted to just make a gasket and be done with it.

Maybe I shouldn't have such a soft spot for heaps of s**t and buy better condition cars to start with!

Noticed an exhaust leak type noise on Friday too, sounded deceptively like a blowing joint but all I can do is see if anything is loose, as I couldn't find any leaks on idle earlier.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
stop the viscous fan... wedge a screwdriver in it before you start it... then feel around the mani etc get some loo roll and split the ply then use a single ply piece around the joints to search for blows...

on your mani... the gasket you used... was it the multi layer metal jobby??? not the solid silver one piece things??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
and 9nm... forget that... go a bit tighter by hand lol... i dont think i have ever torqued anything up to the book unless its a head or drive shafts or clutches lol.

I don't have a torque wrench that goes to such a feeble torque, I just nip it up as far as I dare without stripping threads. It was mentioned more as a fact it's not a high strength joint. Yes it was a multi layer steel one.