ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 182 Series - 750 Motor Club

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm sure there's a few on here that could be tempted, if it was using almost standard cars. But to splash out the best part of £2k, on what most would deem unnecessary parts just seems ridiculous. If it was just a case of strip the car, fit a cage, cutoff and extinguisher and get suited and licensed, I'd be seriously looking into it. As it is though - no thanks. I think for that money, I could make a quicker car for another series. For the record I love other 750 events too.

Exactly. I've got clio's coming out of my ass. I'd love to race one of them competitively. The fact I don't have the time or knowledge to build a £20k+ car is what stops me (and lots of others) trying to compete in the likes of tin tops./ccscc. It's not about talent there, it's about who's got the biggest chequebook.

Massive shame.

Cooksport Fleet
We all keep saying that it's a shame, but from experience the 750mc are a good club. No race series has perfect regs in the first season... (Although they arnt usually the far off lol)

They will no doubt change the regulations to get the most numbers. I know I would race in it!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
There's so many of us in the same boat, I hope its only one season.

Standard Clio, 15's, cage, coilovers with a rrp limit, fuel cut off and extinguisher, decent pads and discs.

Can you imagine how affordable this would be and how many of us would partake?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
agreed plus many already have 172 track cars so its an easy step up.
how many 182 track cars are on here compaired to 172's!!! I bet its not far off a 1:10 ratio!!! why? because its the same car at half the cost

182cup & 172 racecar
Maybe we could run an unmodified class in FT.
That would be possible.
I'll chat to Steve about it at the weekend.
See what he says.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
We all keep saying that it's a shame, but from experience the 750mc are a good club. No race series has perfect regs in the first season... (Although they arnt usually the far off lol)

They will no doubt change the regulations to get the most numbers. I know I would race in it!

They have had all year to do this , when I spoke to them in January I thought I would be doing it but they also picked the most expensive car of the range.They should have looked on here to see what the most common mods were as I think that would have the widest audience of "potential" racers.

Sprinting is the same in that in the regs they keep out most of the track based cars where ideally you should be encouraging these people into the sport.

WRX
If I could spend £1k on a car and £1k on safety kit/licensing I'd probably have a damn good go at getting on the grid myself.
Realistically, it would be more than 1k on safety/kit Mark but I know what you mean. Minimum cage, suit, seat etc. gotta be around 2 grand really.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Free choice on dampers & ecu?

Then we're back to square one. If you want to spend big bucks on a race car, go and join a proper series.

Entry level racing should be just that; entry level. So standard ecu, a choice of 2/3 suspension kits that cost under £700 and 15 inch wheels with a choice of regulation tyres. Exhaust for a bit of noise and that's it. The only other mods you're allowed are safety related.

Why would people with standard cars want to compete with someone with £1000 worth of ECU and £3000's worth of nitrons.

WRX
Yeah straightaway, you're creating classes again. Surely it's far easier to say 15" control tyre, engine bay is stock, choice of damper/springs maybe and that's it. Racetracks would love standard exhausts - it could be run on a quiet day.

Cooksport Fleet
Personally i think ruling out the likes of 2/3/4 way adjustables is best... Which is generally standard for lower levels of Motorsport with open suspension

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
ASTs!!! I don't want to have to take mine off!!

Can see Daniels point. Even so, it'd presumably not stop you entering the FT as they run a separate invitation class for cars outside of the main regs don't they? Nothing to say you still couldn't run the standard plenums/ecu.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Can see Daniels point. Even so, it'd presumably not stop you entering the FT as they run a separate invitation class for cars outside of the main regs don't they? Nothing to say you still couldn't run the standard plenums/ecu.

But what's the point in racing if you're not competitive? Tagging onto the FT would be, imo, soul destroying. getting lapped every time. My mate raced a 106 and when he got bored of being sat at the back getting lapped with the other standard (ish) cars, he had to spend the best part of £17k to make his car competitive.

If there was a series that was minimal budget wise, I wouldn't mind betting you'd get a 30 car grid every single meeting. What a great way to race, based on talent rather than bank balance. (I'd still be at the back either way, lol)

182cup & 172 racecar
So standard dampers then, just different springs.

​I know everybody will want different things, to suit what they have now. But that's impossible.

172 Rally Car
I rallied in the 205 challenge and that had it about right. My idea of a budget championship would be something like:

Standard ecu

Air con delete

bilstien b14's

15,s with a control tyre

Standard brakes with say any of the mintex pad range

One of the stainless exhausts

Then go and race, you would have a reasonable track day car that you could then race.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
But what's the point in racing if you're not competitive? Tagging onto the FT would be, imo, soul destroying. getting lapped every time. My mate raced a 106 and when he got bored of being sat at the back getting lapped with the other standard (ish) cars, he had to spend the best part of £17k to make his car competitive.

If there was a series that was minimal budget wise, I wouldn't mind betting you'd get a 30 car grid every single meeting. What a great way to race, based on talent rather than bank balance. (I'd still be at the back either way, lol)

See your point, but was referring to Tonys suggestion of a class in the FT. £17k is a mental amount to have to spend, but as Tony also says a balance would surely need to be struck?

General consensus seems a gen90 ecu that makes arguably little difference to a stock lump is considered a waste of money in the 750 series, yet a half decent set of fit for purpose dampers that would undoubtedly improve handling/enjoyment are also seen as unnecessary?

Would standard dampers with a set of spax lowering springs really be the best compromise?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
How much would soft spring rates and lots of droop/roll increase tyre wear on the likes of an ad08/888?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'd do this if it were sensible (which it currently isnt), spec could be along the following lines:

All 1*2's in together, there is bugger all difference between them.

Engine - V6 airbox/Pipercross Race filter, RS inlet, 98 Ron map
Exhaust - free from cat back
Brakes - CL RC5+ & plain discs, braided lines
Suspension - Bilstein coilovers, eibach camber bolts, whiteline RARB (the latter 2 are the only parts of the car that can be 'setup')
Wheels - 15's with control tyre
Cage - 6 point bolt in, all usual safety equipment

Minimum weight requirement, ballast if below.

Now that is cheap one-make racing, mainly as that is pretty much the ideal cheap 'trackday car spec' which most cars (bar perhaps the Bilsteins) on CS will be at anyways. The winners will be those who can drive the best.

The problem with tightly regulated series is that people cheat, the clubs don't have the resources to fully police the regs and even if you don't cheat you can still spend 5k+ blue printing a std F4R engine. So it ends up not being as cheap as you think if you want to be competitive. Some people will still spend a fortune to win.

I could have built my car to the safety regs with every thing std for 3k. But if you had to pay for the labour it would have been double at least.

I'm happy, at the moment at least, just getting out there. In the races I've been in there is plenty of action further down the grid to keep you interested. Maybe after a few years I'd get bored of not being competitive, we'll see. I came 6th at Thuxton in the tin tops with AST suspension being the only significant mod. Std engine, I still had all steel panels and glass windows.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I came 6th at Thuxton in the tin tops with AST suspension being the only significant mod. Std engine, I still had all steel panels and glass windows.

Decent result considering the competition on what sounds not a million miles from the kind of spec being proposed in this thread Mark. Out of curiosity, how do you reckon you'd compare on a set of standard Renault dampers with either Eibach/Cooksport/Spax lowering springs?

I honestly think coilovers should be acceptable, but they have an maximum RRP. So no one can go out and spend 2k on the best stuff out there.

Regs like that are just a nightmare to enforce.

Best bet is completely std. The only mod I would allow would be where std parts are stupidly expensive e.g. the exhaust.