ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Read some recent horror stories about powdercoating wheels on the DC2 forum of late. Seems lightweight wheels are badly weakened, to the point of spokes snapping on the first corner. Thats on a Honda with nil torque, so god knows what a 400whp FD3 will do! I'd stick with paint.....

Read some recent horror stories about powdercoating wheels on the DC2 forum of late. Seems lightweight wheels are badly weakened, to the point of spokes snapping on the first corner. Thats on a Honda with nil torque, so god knows what a 400whp FD3 will do! I'd stick with paint.....

They must have done them stupidly hot to weaken them. I've abused wheels through pot holes etc that have been powdercoated more than once, and they've never failed on me.

Never heard of that before. My Weds are 4.7kg, but I doubt a 120bhp Yaris will snap anything! :rasp:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
67f3a7d1.jpg

2b9135f9.jpg

nearly there

Nice build mate, did you consider a 2JZ-GTE or Rb26 conversion instead tho? reliability and none of this 2 stoke fuel pains

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Nice build mate, did you consider a 2JZ-GTE or Rb26 conversion instead tho? reliability and none of this 2 stoke fuel pains

rb26 is just as fragile as a rotary! 2jz is ok but its wrong to put one in a rx7... i thought about a ls1 v8 but so much money and takes away the soul of a rx7...

no need to go elsewhere, other engines wouldnt get power so easy... the rotary is simple plus neither the rb26 or the 2jz will scream to 9k like my 13b will :p

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
The great thing with Rotaries is they make amazing power for the boost, of which you'd need a higher boost level on those other engines to make equivilent power. And the noise they make is amazing!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Billet rotors can now run 19k rpm!!! But goodbye £10k on the rotors alone lol well a build with billet rotors is about 15-20k all in.... But 15k safe daily rev limit and 19k when needed lol

Mustang, S13, AX GT
i thought about a ls1 v8 but so much money and takes away the soul of a rx7...
:eek: After all you said about me putting a 1UZ in my car aswell. I'm shocked. next you'll be considering Rota's instead of refurbing your enkei's ;)

182 Trophy
Mate of mine who's in the edc (peter barber for any who follow it) has a nice boosted rx7, mid 500's bhp and goes like s**t, scares the hell out of me
so noisy with it being all bare metal inside too and the prop whiring away

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the white fd?? if so the front wings on my car are his before he went wide wings.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
9af1cbc7.jpg

just finished chopping and wrapping the loom :) will be back on the engine tomorrow :) gotta sort fuel lines, oil drain for turbo and a couple water lines and we have power :D

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
doubt it will be tomorrow, or if it is, it will be a brief turn on turn off lol! i need to get the alloy rad bottom hose altered slightly and have a new stub welded on it before i can fill it with coolant, plus there is a complete c**t of a fuel hose im trying to undo!

i removed the fuel filter as its in a STUPID place! its at the back of the car on top of the diff wedged between the diff and the tank... u actually cant see it! to remove you either do it by feel only or remove the rear subframe! i got the filter off after about an hour of pissing round but i need to remove one fuel hose to i can loop a new hose on to remove the filter, then im going to run a billet fuel filter in the engine bay! plus i need to make up all the braided fuel lines which tbh is a pain in the arse to do lol! everything needs to be the perfect length then putting the alloy fuel fittings on is a complete pain and hurts lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
na fuel stuff is a couple hours, rad will be sorted tomorrow prob too... and the coolant hoses are a 10 min job.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
updates :D

fueling completed (engine side... still need to work out where im gonna put the fuel filter :(

cff121ad.jpg

also did the intercooler piping today (COMPLETE ball ache!!) i have spent far to much on frigging hoses!!

39132c6c.jpg

just got to get a couple parts ali welded... and it SHOULD start!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
google it or go back a couple of pages... basically the intercooler is flat on top like mine and the rad sits at a 45 degree angle to it... the sides then get ducted in so the air gets rammed through the front of the car and the only way it can go is through the rad and the intercooler...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
already running draggon pulleys...

car is home now not running yet... had issues with the garage i was at...

anyway its all together but i had alarm issues which when i investigated realised the people who had installed it... instead of splicing and soldering wires... they just twisted and wrapped tape around the joins!!

alarm has been taken out... but somewhere along the line there is something wrong, car wont power the ecu and its just bugging me... i had the car put on a low loader today and it came home... this week im going to strip the interior... seats and dash everything out... im going to check all the loom and remove yet another alarm i have found in the car!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
this is the state of the interior atm!

3284436f.jpg

this was what the alarm "installer" did under the dash!!!
6e66a383.jpg

im fuming!! im taking the entire dash out to sort it all! also they left another old alarm still connected in the car!