ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Nissan DiG-T engine hinted at for next RS Clio...

Fabia VRS & Yeti
In this months Evo a review of the new Nissan Juke hints that the 1.6 DiG-T turbo engine will be powering the next gen RS clios, complete with lightweight, low friction turbo, direct injection, intercooler and vvt for intake and exhaust. I can't remember the exact power figures but I think it is 187bhp and takes the juke to 60 in 8.0secs and the next RS should be a bit lighter than the Juke...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Engine is already fitted to the megane. Some sources say its coming to the RS range and others say they are sticking with 2.0 NA.

Who knows..

Mk5 golf gti
Turbo is going to be the future anyway

but that isnt a bad thing

just buy a phase one as a future track car

win win

320d
It will have more than 187 bhp if it goes in the RS Clio. They're not going to call it the RS 187 are they, the numbers have to go up for marketing purposes. I'd like to see it weighing around 1000kgs with 187bhp, that would be fun. I'd prefare it if they kept the 2.0 N/A but the EU says no.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Turbo's are definately the future, just a shame you don't get the lovely induction roar like a 2.0L lump:rolleyes:

I have every confidence in Renaultsport's engineers to make it awesome..

Lionel Richie
i'd be surprised if they change i doubt the F4R 800 series is going anywhere soon, rumors are its getting bolted into some sport cars soon ;)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
tragic if it does happen. All about these wanky emissions regs I spose, which has obviously screwed up honda with the ctr.

If they do go turbo route the effect that it could have on megane sales would be interesting, but who knows.

Clio 1970000000
Yeah, this would be a real shame. A big NA engine really sets the Clio (and the CTR) apart in driver enjoyment from other hot hatches.

V6 255
The guy who's designed the next Clio has done so is a massive fan of the RS, I've heard a rumour that it will stay as is

Also, friend of mine has tested the juke with that engine and he says it's pony (he's a car journalist), though has pointed out that if the RS engineers get hold of it they may be able to put that right

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It will have more than 187 bhp if it goes in the RS Clio. They're not going to call it the RS 187 are they, the numbers have to go up for marketing purposes. I'd like to see it weighing around 1000kgs with 187bhp, that would be fun. I'd prefare it if they kept the 2.0 N/A but the EU says no.
Ermmmm, that's not true.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
about time the RS get's a turbo IMO.. more tuning potential

Why do people think manufactures want to 'turbo' cars for customers to upgrade power? Once the cars sold, its sold as far as Renault are concerned, no need for some ned to upgrade/chip the car?

Clio 172 Cup
It will be the end of the Hot Hatch love affair for me if this happens, definitely the end of the RS Clio's being held in such high regard. For me a proper hot hatch is light and nimble with a free revving naturally aspirated engine, not a lightly breathed on Mid size family hatch with an off the shelf blower bolted on for good measure!

White clique
i was going to say if it aint broke dont fix it, but bottom line is there are still really basic things Renault cant get right, i mean shipping out new cars that STILL kangeroo from cold as a "characteristic" to keep emission levels lower 10 years after people were moaning about the problem shows they need to move on TBH. So either sort the basics or change the lump altogether.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The 200 doesn't seem to kangaroo? But I always spend a minute or so with the engine on setting up the stereo, Bluetooth etc.

The engine is not being binned, 100%. As said, they'll be common place in a sports car soon. Not sure if that means they are keeping it in the Clio though.

Listerine & Poledo
i was going to say if it aint broke dont fix it, but bottom line is there are still really basic things Renault cant get right, i mean shipping out new cars that STILL kangeroo from cold as a "characteristic" to keep emission levels lower 10 years after people were moaning about the problem shows they need to move on TBH. So either sort the basics or change the lump altogether.

fair points, but would a clio cup be the same if it asks that you have to hunt the mid-range for power?

White clique
The 200 doesn't seem to kangaroo? But I always spend a minute or so with the engine on setting up the stereo, Bluetooth etc

that will be why it doesnt kangeroo for you then! The advice Renault give is let the car warm up first - its the sort of advice you would expect in the manual of a 1984 Nissan Cherry 1.1 But in all seriousness if the 200s have the problem solved then that is good. The only way they would have acheived this is with a higher emission output though, pushing it to the next tax band (over 200 co2) (is it higher than the 197)?

fair points, but would a clio cup be the same if it asks that you have to hunt the mid-range for power?

You sort of do with the current set up (ish). I've only had 1 turbo and yes i do agree with you that a turbo does make the power delivery more unpredictable and harder to get the driving style spot on unless the lag is almost zero. But they are fun in their own little way though, once you are used to it.

I see no problem with the current engine other than the jerkiness from cold, apart from that they are fine, although almost all manufacturers are going for the more econominical sports performance route (BMW, VW, Audi etc), and a turbo achieves this TBH.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think with the bigger cars, the only way to get co2 levels manageable across the range is with the turbo's. Ridiculous given that there's very little real world economy difference, they just excel on a bench test.

The 200/197 engine can be made compliant for the upcoming euro regs (and already has been). But I still don't see them keeping it for the next rs sadly.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
It's a shame they can't get around all the ghey rules and regs what with RS models making up only a small amount of total sales. They could lean the engines right off or detune them or something then offer a free remap after purchase;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's a shame they can't get around all the ghey rules and regs what with RS models making up only a small amount of total sales. They could lean the engines right off or detune them or something then offer a free remap after purchase;)

Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh! Is everyone unable to read????????? The 2l engine in the 200, meets the upcoming regs!! (or can be made to ;))
The general public are the ones demanding more mpg, it's supply and demand.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Well a 24mpg Clio isn't exactly appetising @ over £1:20 per litre of super unleaded and I doubt they are going to make the mk4 smaller or lighter either!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Well a 24mpg Clio isn't exactly appetising @ over £1:20 per litre of super unleaded and I doubt they are going to make the mk4 smaller or lighter either!
I've just got 400miles out of 1 tank in the 200! Very impressed.

And your post completely contradicts your previous one?

got to agree a hot hatch is ment to be good on fuel when your not thrashing it unfortunately it needs some form of boost at some point sooner rather then later otherwise renault will get left behind or be forever playing catchup

V6 255
They should keep it to be different. If they went turbo I'd definitely start looking elsewhere. If they, as now, are going to be the only ones with a n/a screamer then I would be reluctant to look beyond it

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
N/A engines are what make Renault Sport for me personally, out of the 60/70+ cars ive ever driven the F4R is my favourite engine (ive driven a B7 RS4)

Fabia VRS & Yeti
I've just got 400miles out of 1 tank in the 200! Very impressed.

And your post completely contradicts your previous one?
It wouldn't bother people who know the brand etc but on paper to Joe Public it doesn't look favourable compared to rivals in its sector.
Not that a high output 1.6t would be any better on fuel driven hard but I'm sure the manufacturers figures will be better.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It wouldn't bother people who know the brand etc but on paper to Joe Public it doesn't look favourable compared to rivals in its sector.
Ah, got you. I suppose that's the issue, hot hatch market is getting more congested, attracting new buyers must be a big factor.