ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

**Pic Request** Cold air feed 172. Not Cup!

Liquid yellow R26 F1
filterpic1.jpg

kngen2.jpg

Filterpic.jpg

Liquid yellow R26 F1
ClioKN.jpg

My Old K&N.. ^^ For sale BTW..;)

I've found the GEN II very good.. big improvement over the normal 57i.. Haven't used an enclosed kit so can't really coment.. but it still pulls very well even in 90 degree heat.. so the heat shield obviously does the trick.. + it has 2 cold feed pipes going to it...:) Standard + the new one pictured above..

Oh and it sounds awesome... nice and loud..

R35 GTR
I need help too, bought bens viper off him so need help routing the pipes and want to fit the intake on bumper.

I was thinking of building a custom inlet like a rectangular funnel to fit into the lower grill. Can the pipe be routed to the middle of the grill?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It's a good idea ^ But it's a little simplier on a cup, more room to the front grill.

R35 GTR
similar, so that the hose fits on at the correct angle to allow easy routing.
plus i want to make it out of shiny metal, and fit to lower grill.

182 and 5 GTT
Has anyone got any pics of the hose going into the viper though? Where you need to route the hose round etc?

'18 Megane dci
First of all, have patience! :D

Then see if this lot will help you... at this point it's probably useful to mention that I couldn't get the supplied air feed to reach all the way to the front grill and into the supplied red inlet trumpet, seemed to be about 3 inches short...

First off, my filter housing connects to a Hill Power hose which is very flexible (and more free flowing) compared to the Renault stock part...
px1.jpg

The route then takes the air feed further down to where it meets the battle of A/C cylinder -vs- metalwork, at this point I had to 're-shape' the feed into an oblong () marked in red rather than its standard O shape, this was the only way the supplied feed would journey on the grill area...
px2.jpg

Next you can see where the feed appears between the a/c cylinder and the metalwork again, marked in red...
px3.jpg

The next pic is a bit further left, there is a flat piece of plastic that you will need to cut out with a Stanley knife, approx position marked in blue, the feed can then just be fed round where the end of mine just sits nicely in the grill area (not secured yet), marked in green.
px4.jpg

With the supplied air feed this is as far as I could get it to travel to, hope this helps!
px5.jpg

CLIO
dave did you take all that crap out under your wheel arch,or have you kept in there????where the original air feed goes to

cheers james

Little white 172
mate andrew has a mark1 172 and has it replacing the fog light but has replaced the otherside with a dummy air feed aswell looks damn good instead of having only one foggie

Ph1
Dave_b said:
mate andrew has a mark1 172 and has it replacing the fog light but has replaced the otherside with a dummy air feed aswell looks damn good instead of having only one foggie

I know Dave, ive already put the link up ya tube lol

IMGP0438.jpg

IMGP0535.jpg

IMGP0533.jpg

Speaking to Andy GDI and he said that its better not to connect the Viper cold air feed pipe up but to instead have it pointing near it so it sucks air in.......about a 5bhp less having it plumbed up on the rollers apparently.
Gonna do some times to see if it makes a difference on the open road or not.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
Andrew

We found, via our own testing and some independant testing that the air feeds connected dont help... yes they do deliver cold air but increase the intake pipe length with loads of bad bends and rough pipe......

BMW E46 330i Touring
carbon copy said:
yup. No probs Ali.

i have a viper and fog light relocation. Sounds reet good it does too, as Uncleiven, dutty and ben_p will tell you. :)

Ooh, ooh, ooh, and me! :eek:

big red bus
Dave Cli02 said:
First of all, have patience! :D

Then see if this lot will help you... at this point it's probably useful to mention that I couldn't get the supplied air feed to reach all the way to the front grill and into the supplied red inlet trumpet, seemed to be about 3 inches short...

First off, my filter housing connects to a Hill Power hose which is very flexible (and more free flowing) compared to the Renault stock part...
px1.jpg

The route then takes the air feed further down to where it meets the battle of A/C cylinder -vs- metalwork, at this point I had to 're-shape' the feed into an oblong () marked in red rather than its standard O shape, this was the only way the supplied feed would journey on the grill area...
px2.jpg

Next you can see where the feed appears between the a/c cylinder and the metalwork again, marked in red...
px3.jpg

The next pic is a bit further left, there is a flat piece of plastic that you will need to cut out with a Stanley knife, approx position marked in blue, the feed can then just be fed round where the end of mine just sits nicely in the grill area (not secured yet), marked in green.
px4.jpg

With the supplied air feed this is as far as I could get it to travel to, hope this helps!
px5.jpg

Your pics remind me of the film Tremors LOOOOOOL

Ph1
Andy GDI said:
Andrew

We found, via our own testing and some independant testing that the air feeds connected dont help... yes they do deliver cold air but increase the intake pipe length with loads of bad bends and rough pipe......

Another advantage of it not being connected is the Viper makes a hell of a rip on engine load. People tend to duck for cover half a mile down the road lol

Damn that looks as tight as a Nuns nastie!

Would it b easier to route it down behind the fog light, and take the fog light out?

'18 Megane dci
portal172 said:
Damn that looks as tight as a Nuns nastie!

Would it b easier to route it down behind the fog light, and take the fog light out?

Definitely would, just thought i'd try it the hard way. Looking at the comments about having the feed not connected to the filter housing I might be trying that later! :D

VaVa
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
^ does it get enough cold air there james?

The original cold air feed only goes into the wheel arch, by the horn. The second cold air feed only goes as far as behind the passenger headlight.

When I fitted my Maxogen I noticcd there are 'louvres' in the bottom of the plastic arch lining that direct air up into the are behind the headlight. But they're not particul big. lol.

182BG
James Bushell said:
What like this... this is what i used..
brakeduct.jpg

oooh this is exactly what i need, where can you get something like this from?

oh and ive got a viper with a hill power inlet pipe, but i need a bracket to secure the filter as its wobbling all over the place, i can't use zip ties forever :) so where can i get one from, would make one, but i don't have anything to make one with

lee_cup said:
oooh this is exactly what i need, where can you get something like this from?

oh and ive got a viper with a hill power inlet pipe, but i need a bracket to secure the filter as its wobbling all over the place, i can't use zip ties forever :) so where can i get one from, would make one, but i don't have anything to make one with

x2 :)

Megane Mk4
I managed to put the cold air feed in on my 182 ... I Have a 57i on mine and wanted a sheild for it.. decided to use a piece of alloy steel for it, I custom made mine but it aint perfect but, does the job...

af1.gif

Before I put it in I drilled a 2 inch circular hole underneath to get a feed in....

af2.gif

And heres my air feed at the front end behind my meshing ....

af3.gif

Can be done .. I had to slightly compress the pipe bout 7 inch from the mesh .. but its gone in and does the job.. :)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
the main issue I have with the cold air feeds in general is the bends in them..... feed cold air to the air filter area, but dont directly feed them from the feed pipe...

at least try them with and without to satisfy yourself.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
This I quite like.

l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
I managed to put the cold air feed in on my 182 ... I Have a 57i on mine and wanted a sheild for it.. decided to use a piece of alloy steel for it, I custom made mine but it aint perfect but, does the job...

af1.gif

Before I put it in I drilled a 2 inch circular hole underneath to get a feed in....

af2.gif

And heres my air feed at the front end behind my meshing ....

af3.gif

Can be done .. I had to slightly compress the pipe bout 7 inch from the mesh .. but its gone in and does the job.. :)

Megane Mk4
Andy GDI said:
This I quite like.

:D

Thought I might've been slated for it.. still, Mr B&Q do a good deal on Alloy steel sheets,
£4 for that size (300mm X 500mm) ... worth the money! ;)

I wanted to save some money and made it myself, wants trimming a little but does the trick.
Incidently ...its a full fat 182. Just in case no-one knew :D

Megane Mk4
not finished yet no ... Still work to be done, but I wanted a quick and easy way to deflect heat and I have a lot of free time at the mo. ;)
But it's flexible too so it gives way with the rock of the engine under power.
Hairbrain scheme I know... But It saved money, reflects the heat and centralises the grunt of the 57i too...
Sounds louder because its forcing the sound up and forward.
Joys of being stupidly intelligent !! :rofl:

MKIII 138
err it was fairly easy on my cup ? is it harder on the 172MKII ?

i have hillpower induction kit + bought new pipe 65mm. managd to get a perfect twisitng feed to the kit with NO bend straight up, also kept standard feed point
tied both to open side of filter a few CM`s away with tie clips

the sound is exaclty the same unless you floor it, if you open half throttle youl get a small bark if you floor it in a higher gear at lower speeds it roars until the revs pick up. really cool and well impressed, no AFR light, no idle speed probs its seems to have changed the power delivery really smooth but lost its snap, nicer to drive.

weird thing is ive realised that now i have this noise i dont want anymore power ?? its fast enough and sounds the part.

Megane Mk4
meggerman said:
weird thing is ive realised that now i have this noise i dont want anymore power ?? its fast enough and sounds the part.

agreed ... I bought the 57i originally for the noise, but when you floor the pedal for the grunt, must people think its the exhuast and nothing else.

Mind you, I'm lucky because I've got the only 182 where I live. so they've nothing to compare it with :D