ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Went up to the parents yesterday and dug out a few tools to have here with me.

Old trusty, must be 5/6 years old now I think
2f43e24bbca62693115403ea49ab2e3f.jpg
a24d34ef3349a151bcca5f2389cc17db.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Did anyone see the recent vid on YT (can’t remember the name of the channel but it’s torque tester or something where he seems to purely test impacts on a torque machine) He did the M12 stubby vs the new M18 stubby and the 12 was just as pokey. Even he said it doesn’t make sense why Milwaukee did the m18 like it. They do look a bit better quality than the m12 but that bloody great battery is a total contradiction on a compact wrench.

I had high hopes for the supposed 400lbft dewalt stubby but it was nowhere near (more like 250)

I do think my next buy will be a ratchet although I’m not hung up on outright power and I’d wager size (or lack of) would be a better choice. You can obvs crack things off like a normal ratchet and then buzz them out so I’m not sure the big looking Milwaukee fuel ones would be the best choice? I’ve used the snap on ones a few times and the head size seems good.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Did anyone see the recent vid on YT (can’t remember the name of the channel but it’s torque tester or something where he seems to purely test impacts on a torque machine) He did the M12 stubby vs the new M18 stubby and the 12 was just as pokey. Even he said it doesn’t make sense why Milwaukee did the m18 like it. They do look a bit better quality than the m12 but that bloody great battery is a total contradiction on a compact wrench.

I had high hopes for the supposed 400lbft dewalt stubby but it was nowhere near (more like 250)

I do think my next buy will be a ratchet although I’m not hung up on outright power and I’d wager size (or lack of) would be a better choice. You can obvs crack things off like a normal ratchet and then buzz them out so I’m not sure the big looking Milwaukee fuel ones would be the best choice? I’ve used the snap on ones a few times and the head size seems good.
Did ya see my pic above mate? Can see how small you can make them which is tiny for an electric ratchet imo.

Also the new m18 stubby makes perfect sense if you consider the guys who have just the m18 battery platform. Saves them buying new batteries, potentially a new charger too if they just have the m18 one.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Saw that one.

Shop Tool Reviews.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Did ya see my pic above mate? Can see how small you can make them which is tiny for an electric ratchet imo.

Also the new m18 stubby makes perfect sense if you consider the guys who have just the m18 battery platform. Saves them buying new batteries, potentially a new charger too if they just have the m18 one.

That does look ideal actually, thanks I’ll look into that. Is the guts of the 1/4” ok for manually cracking bigger size nuts & bolts though?

I did consider the battery thing being the reason (or maybe the price being able to buy it naked if you had M18 batts) but a naked M18 stubby is £220 and an M12 with a 6.0 batt, 2.0 batt and a charger is £180. Can’t say it’d be a driver for me to buy one. The batteries last ages on these modern impacts.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
This was the channel, I like his vids as he traces a graph to show the power over time which is a good representation of what’s going on rather than just a number at the end. ie for me I don’t sit there hammering on stuff for 10secs if it won’t come undone (as it pisses me off with the racket) so it’s interesting to see how some of these tools have a big advantage in the first few secs over another but when testing peak nos would lose out.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That does look ideal actually, thanks I’ll look into that. Is the guts of the 1/4” ok for manually cracking bigger size nuts & bolts though?

I did consider the battery thing being the reason (or maybe the price being able to buy it naked if you had M18 batts) but a naked M18 stubby is £220 and an M12 with a 6.0 batt, 2.0 batt and a charger is £180. Can’t say it’d be a driver for me to buy one. The batteries last ages on these modern impacts.
Yes mate, as its the whole anvil you swap out rather than just the 3/8 sized part. So the pawls and mechanism are from the higher strength 3/8 part.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a Milwaukee fan boy but I've been abusing this thing for years (its my grandads and he's had it since 2002) and it never fails to get the job done. This week itsbeen breaking up 60 year old concrete🤣

20210502_180219.jpg

Yes its big, yes its ridiculously heavy, yes I now have calluses on my palms because I've been using it for hours and hours and hours

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a Milwaukee fan boy but I've been abusing this thing for years (its my grandads and he's had it since 2002) and it never fails to get the job done. This week itsbeen breaking up 60 year old concrete🤣

View attachment 1536237

Yes its big, yes its ridiculously heavy, yes I now have calluses on my palms because I've been using it for hours and hours and hours

Ol' Kenny boys - bet that was the same price as a Fiesta back in 2002.

My dad seems to equate the price of everything to what a new mini cost in the 70's.... So everything is half a mini etc. Seems to make sense to him (thats 1/4 of a mini btw).

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ol' Kenny boys - bet that was the same price as a Fiesta back in 2002.

My dad seems to equate the price of everything to what a new mini cost in the 70's.... So everything is half a mini etc. Seems to make sense to him (thats 1/4 of a mini btw).
It was deffo expensive back in the day but its survived 19 years of absolute abuse🤣

Its had the 300mm core bit on it several times, taken me off my feet when I was about 14 when drilling out some footings, nearly knocked my uncle out too🤣 Honestly old Makita 110v stuff is immensely robust, this must have at least 1kg of brick dust inside it

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Bit random but... Has anyone used a Chinese shell for the Milwaukee M12 batteries?

My 6.0 battery shell is destroyed now after dropping it. Not only has the inner red part smashed but one clip to hold it into the impact has broken off too.

Was just looking on eBay and a 6.0 battery is £60 which is ludicrous considering the whole kit with 2 batts was around £120.

When I was looking I see you can buy just the battery shell so I’ll try that and hope it fits the standard guts!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
a sNaP-oN wOuLDnT hAvE dOnE tHaT

CoRreCt

I’ve been purposely dropping my SO gun for over 10 years (I mean juggling a gearbox or sub frame and dropping it onto my foot to soften the blow and it often twatting the floor). I’ve accidentally dropped the Milwaukee twice and it’s destroyed the battery. Won’t be buying another SO gun though and can’t complain for the price and I did say I’d destroy it as I’m not a tool polisher.

I’m the opposite of the person that cleans their tools and has them all neat. I should be a destruction tester. I guess it comes from working mobile on sites. Start of wiping stuff down and then end wallowing around in mud n grit and drop kicking them into the van. You can tell the difference between my tools and the other guys at work’s tools now I’m in a garage.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
CoRreCt

I’ve been purposely dropping my SO gun for over 10 years (I mean juggling a gearbox or sub frame and dropping it onto my foot to soften the blow and it often twatting the floor). I’ve accidentally dropped the Milwaukee twice and it’s destroyed the battery. Won’t be buying another SO gun though and can’t complain for the price and I did say I’d destroy it as I’m not a tool polisher.

I’m the opposite of the person that cleans their tools and has them all neat. I should be a destruction tester. I guess it comes from working mobile on sites. Start of wiping stuff down and then end wallowing around in mud n grit and drop kicking them into the van. You can tell the difference between my tools and the other guys at work’s tools now I’m in a garage.

Would you buy a brand new car and start opening the doors into brick walls and stuff?

You sound like that guy 😂

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Would you buy a brand new car and start opening the doors into brick walls and stuff?

You sound like that guy 😂

Is there a guy that does that?

But no, although can’t really compare hand Tools to a new car. Sometimes you just gotta catch that impact on the boot when your hands are full. I baby’d my SO impacts when I got them but once you’ve been out in the rain/snow/mud etc a few times it all goes out the window and the amazing thing is they’re still going strong so it kind of gives you this new love for them.

I used to be that OCD kid who put his toys back in their packets so would be very easy to slip into that way but I find it a happier place to not be precious over the condition of my tools (once I got over the initial bit). They’re all way tougher than people think (except my Milwaukee battery, but that was a genuine couple of accidents as I knew it’d be fragile which I remember saying on here when I got it)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
That's a wicked set!
Should be for the price 🥵. Massively overkill for what I need but I had my old Ryobi stuff for years so this should last me a good few years hopefully.

I did buy the 259.99 kit from Screwfix originally but the quality wasn't great, batteries felt wobbly when on and the impact didn't have the different settings. This was a bit more than that but definitely worth it.

I blame @dann2707. He's like a Milkwalkhee salesman.

340i
Looking for a sub compact driver, Milwaukee M12 CD-202C (Kitbox, charger, batteries) looks the best around... But most sellers are showing no stock, or offering the older M12 BD-202C.

Recommendations for a supplier?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Looking for a sub compact driver, Milwaukee M12 CD-202C (Kitbox, charger, batteries) looks the best around... But most sellers are showing no stock, or offering the older M12 BD-202C.

Recommendations for a supplier?
That looks to be a relatively old model mate? Unless I am mistaken