ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #56; Clio Trophy

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing much Happening at the moment, car is still with fred as the seats are proving to be difficult also decided to throw on some Eibach sportlines that came off the Mrs 172 to see how they look on the T, should reduce the arch gap somewhat when the 2118's are fitted

Decided to Treat the 2118's to some ceramishield whilst there clean and stop the Brakedust eating them away!

file_zpse1d3e8fc.jpg

Hmmm shinnyy

file_zps5daa0668.jpg

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Right thought id update this after a very wet Llandow..

TBH the car performed faultlessly, Had no issues arise bar some very tight wheels bolts meaning I snapped my breaker bar some how..

Seats and Harnesses were great, defiantly worth the investment. Hankook RS-2's performed very well despite the wet conditions, Gearbox felt much more positive with the yahoo stiffshift fitted and fred also decided to use a PH1 gear knob/stick which I'm actually quite pleased with as I prefer the feel of it.

Biggest surprise of the day for me was the Brakes on the T, Just DS2500's and Brembo HC disks and not once did I feel any sort of fade at all, gave them death all-day and was throughly impressed with there stopping power, just need some new fluid along with braided lines and Ill be very happy with them.

So onto some photos taken by Mr freeman

file_zpsd96630dd.jpg

file_zpsd90c7cab.jpg

file_zps506e788b.jpg

This Afternoon I had some time to kill so decided to work on the trophy.

Firstly it got a quick wash and some tar remover as it was caked in the stuff

file_zps70727596.jpg

Once that was finished it was time to remove the Passenger side SPG and refit the Treadline as frankly unless your a Stick insect like myself you just aren't going to be sitting in them comfortably at all and with occasional need to carry somebody other than myself this was the only viable option until either the SPG goes back in or is possibly sold to make way for Polepostion.

Anyway pics of the SPG's fitted

file_zpsc4ba760f.jpg

file_zps0948e32f.jpg

Back in with the Treadline on the passenger side

file_zps8c3a2816.jpg

During this task I decided to remove the rear seat bench which lead to me to having a small problem, Im sure others have had issues with this certain bolt aswell

file_zpsf76ac16d.jpg

Anyway it holds the rear seatback down and it decided to start chewing up Torx bits until things began spinning aimlessly, the only way I could see it coming out was using heat and low and behold a quick lick off my blow lamp finally the bolt released but unfortunately the blow lamp also did this...

file_zps08dc3fd8.jpg

So Thats me going to require some new rear seat backs at some point in the future :S

The 2118s are filthy and covered in Brakedust

file_zps55cc8420.jpg

But thanks to a coating of Ceramishield they will literally need a quick wash with just some Shampoo and water if that, one of the rear just wiped perfectly clean with a microfibre cloth so its very much doing its thing!

And finally this is how the T currently sits in my garage

file_zpsd6ef3c22.jpg

Wheels are all off to be cleaned properly and the brakes are going to get a strip down so I can remove the front pad shims out as they are causing a constant squeal at low speed braking

Next update should hopefully involve me having the RS Sabelt wheel fitted along with Braided brake lines + new fluid and possibly a Spare set of Sportlines going on if I can be bothered

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looked great on track the other day mate. Made me want another!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It was good to meet you and see you and the T at Llandow last week mate. :)

Biggest surprise of the day for me was the Brakes on the T, Just DS2500's and Brembo HC disks and not once did I feel any sort of fade at all, gave them death all-day and was throughly impressed with there stopping power, just need some new fluid along with braided lines and Ill be very happy with them.

I can agree with that, too. I'm using the same setup with Goodridge braided lines and Motul RBF600 4.1 fluid. This combo hasn't let me down yet despite some fairly heavy use at times. Mind you, I'm told I am quite a smooth driver... or was it more that I was a slow driver and didn't go fast enough to work the brakes?!?!? I can't remember now... LOL! :D

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Did you get your DS2500's smoking like I did at Oulton? :eek:

LOL thats a good effort dude, especially with the rain!

Looked great on track the other day mate. Made me want another!

Cheers luke, you been keeping an eye on the classifieds? some nice cars popping up at the moment! you gotta be tempted to get back into an 1*2 lol

It was good to meet you and see you and the T at Llandow last week mate. :)

I can agree with that, too. I'm using the same setup with Goodridge braided lines and Motul RBF600 4.1 fluid. This combo hasn't let me down yet despite some fairly heavy use at times. Mind you, I'm told I am quite a smooth driver... or was it more that I was a slow driver and didn't go fast enough to work the brakes?!?!? I can't remember now... LOL! :D

And you dude and ye thats probably why I'm having no fade just not pushing hard enough lol! altho it appears I've killed the rears off discs look very rough and pads are getting on the low side!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Another update albeit a small one to the trophy..

Had the brakes apart and removed the front Pad shims to cut down on the low speed squealing and also gave the callipers and drums a lick of silver hammerite

file_zps253b156d.jpg

Also Ordered some of the Mist washer jets off eBay

file_zpsce9826c8.jpg

And also collected my Sabelt wheel from Freds yay! Just need to order up a Boss to get it fitted.

file_zps0e0d4863.jpg

Other than that I've just ticked over 105,500m meaning I've somehow done 1k in this car which I'm quite surprised about, it hardly moves out of the garage tbh.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Another Update on Trophy #056

Decided to Try a set of Eibach Sportlines on the Trophy, Not sure if they've made a Huge difference as I never took a before pic...

Went for a Little drive to make sure everything was okay after I swapped them over

file_zpscbee9a90.jpg

file_zpsbdb9e118.jpg

file_zps93b64917.jpg

file_zpsd98baaab.jpg

file_zpsbe4f7d48.jpg

MOMO boss also turned up from Tweeks so could finally get the Sabelt wheel fitted altho Ive still got to sort out the airbag light being on and I've also knocked the Squib meaning indicators no longer self cancel, and also fitted a PH1 stalk to give me a working horn.

Before

file_zps0a8e4559.jpg

After

file_zps61cfdbf2.jpg

file_zps36b62f27.jpg

Definalty a huge improvement over the standard wheel, can now see why its such a hugely popular modification to make!

And to keep on top of smaller updates on the car I managed to snap the tilt lever on the passenger side treadline

file_zps77693f86.jpg

which was replaced with a new item from capital seating for the grand sum of £11

​Next update will hopefully be more pics on the track!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Over a month has passed and only the Issue has been a small leak on one of the rear tyres which I found the night before the PH SS so I've had to chuck on the 2118's for a few days

Has ticked over to 106k miles and it scrubbed up quite well for the Ph meet, still in desperate need of a de-swirl tho!

Few pics sitting on the 2118's from tonight

file_zps6ee3642e.jpg

file_zpsac0fc431.jpg

file_zps0c88622c.jpg

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Thought this thread deserves an update of sorts as a lot has changed

Still have Le trophy but its now turned into a project/weekend car permanently and I've been attempting a lot more work on the car myself to keep my interest in the car strong

current milage is 109,887 so not even 6k miles since taking ownership from Jon.G. Within the past few months I've decided to treat the car to a few new parts after it was left somewhat languishing for months on end behind my garage after the main user of the car my GF was diagnosed with epilepsy meaning the DVLA relieved her of her license for the foreseeable future...

From the previous pics the 2118's have gone along with the Recaros as these were no use to me or my GF when she was using it, the recent parts list was stacking up so decided to get a move on.

so its recently had

New battery after showing a huge unwillingness to start predictably
New Rear discs and pads with fresh discs up front, also have some ATE super blue to get in but have yet to get round to it.
Fresh Gearbox oil
16" OZ superleggra's with Federal RSR's
Powerflex Dogbone mount (I honestly was amazed the difference this made)
Camber bolts fitted
few parts resprayed in Matt black like grilles and wiper mech covers
Rear bench and passenger seat removed
Sabelt wheel reinstalled ( removing Snappy refurbed wheel)

and a few nice future upgrades are in the offing as I'm Currently awaiting for the groupbuy on Micro seats to come to fruition and ill have a RS2 for me to enjoy and am currently on the trail of a Safety Devices rear cage. If things work out then all that will be required is a set of scroth harnesses and I'm hoping to grab a late track day somewhere before next year when I'm hoping to start using the car a lot more on track as it was one of the main reasons for me owning this car in the 1st place!

Last edited:
Glad to see you've still got it. I was wondering what had happened to it a few months ago.

Get it washed and throw some pictures up if you've got time!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
So 6 Months down the line and...

Were finally on the way to getting T#56 back into some kind of usage!

After Finally making the decision and parting with the Treadlines its free'd up some cash to do some of the mods I've been after namely Rear half cage and Proper Bucket seats...

So starting with the cage I decided to rip pretty much most of the interior out to make things easier

B0042C53-97B9-4E78-99DD-84DEFE967E46_zpsltyongmk.jpg

And whilst all that was out the hot air gun and Tardis came out to remove the sound deadening off the floor. Think all this weighed in at 5.2Kg really doesn't feel heavy when removing it but it all adds up in the end!

8FEAEE57-E59E-4AFC-819E-C490EA1C74CC_zpshzawu8e2.jpg

Trail fitted the cage and got everything in place and plucked up enough courage to crack out the drill and go past the point of no return!

A5395D87-E99C-4694-9308-E899D03CC18D_zpsb9opqy93.jpg

The cage I Decided to paint myself in Standard Bright silver, the finish is pretty decent and should be easy to touch up any knocks it might take even tho I would have preferred to get it powder coated It was such a faff getting it dropped over to the powder coaters as the cage really didn't fit that great in my company car and I nearly ripped a massive gash in the headlining when I attempted it!

Then Came the dilemma of wether to go the whole hog and go for the proper Stripped look and have the interior painted, In the end I Bottled it and just put the carpets back in lol. With the car off the road I couldn't be bothered to get a mobile sprayer to come and sort it plus I realised it seems like a decent cost and faff for not much of a gain, Not ATM anyway.

So with the cage bolted in I gave the spreader plates under the car a decent coating of Hammerite underseal

5F0A1C3E-73B1-4E89-9A25-2C41BCF2C777_zpsdg6nsftn.jpg

and Finally got all the carpets back In etc

D5BDF68C-3AE9-4214-9FDA-33F3F3A47931_zpszak65ceg.jpg

733811EF-24E5-4C50-A679-B2813AB7149D_zpsc14luiii.jpg

New Seats, drivers side is mounted to what I believe is a Cobra X-low mount or atleast BTM copy and the passenger is likely to be on a OMP frame if fred can't find my passenger side X-low mount which is lurking in his workshop somewhere lol.

Very happy with the Corbeau Clubsports like many have said for the price they seem excellent value, Just a warning to others the standard size they do is mega skinny! I'm 30" waist and it feels tight on me so would recommend most get the XL size luckily I decided to get one Xl and a standard so my passenger seat isn't so tight!

057EE288-138B-4E44-B6ED-521837334048_zpsmtrmairl.jpg

13762E59-DA03-4D76-946F-78175F76718B_zpsj50hz4vj.jpg

B595D4B9-769C-4379-A928-572CFA4DA53D_zpsmhjhhabd.jpg

Over the next few weeks I just need to

- Purchase some Carpet to cover the rear section of the interior.
- Purchase OMP frame or collect X-low from Fred for passenger side.
- Purchase a Set of Harnesses most likely Sabelt.
- Change Brake Fluid to Superblue.
- Tax and insurance.
- Purchase new Radio control stalk as I've snapped mine when fitting cage.
- Replace Handbrake cables as ones snapped.
- Full Wheel alignment

And my future Purchases I hope to get are

- PMS Gear linkage.
- PMS topmounts and brace
- K-tec style Intake
- Cooksport springs