ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Inferno

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Having owned a few RenaultSports over the years (including a LY R26, Titanium 182 and my current daily a 175 DCI) I decided that this year I would get myself a 'toy' for track days (living in Silverstone is also quite handy for this). I knew it had to be a 172/182 and since January I had been constantly checking eBay/Autotrader/here for a bit of a 'fixer upper'. Nothing had quite caught my eye and I started to think that when the weather gets better it may be good to go and see some. Anyway, after a brief conversation with my Dad about what I wanted to do, he text me a few days later saying that a friend from work was selling a 182 Cup.

He put me touch with a chap named Gary who had bought the car a year ago from a forum member @derek182. It's on 83k with some service history and lots of receipts for various bits of work it's had over the tears. It had been modified and used on track prior to Gary owning it and came with the following spec -

Whiteline rear ARB
Group N Engine & Gearbox Mounts
K-Tec Solid Top Mounts
RS Tuner 98 RON Remap
K-Tec Stainless Cat Back

Gary had done one track day since buying it and due to a change in circumstances needed rid of it. I went over to see it and actually loved the colour even more in person. I know Inferno is a bit marmite for some but it has a really lovely finish when you see it in the flesh. Gary had a spare set of 182 alloys with Federal RSR track tyres (which I have kept and intend to use) as well as a set of head lights with black inserts and an old set of Spax RSX Coilovers that had been taken off the car and replaced with Cup shocks with Eibach springs. It actually sits quite nicely at the moment, but time will tell wether I go for a new set of coilovers in the future. So a deal was done and I took the car home that day.

Once I got it home I could give it a good once over and check the condition in more detail. It was a bit tired, scruffy and needed a little bit of love, like it seemed to of had in the past. It needs the cam belt doing and my intention is to get Chris at Beaniesport to do the full works of Cam belt, Aux belt, Dephaser and Water Pump before I do anything else big.

Here's how it sat once I got it home -

IMG_8613.JPG

It needed a really good clean inside and out as well as a few smaller items replacing. The seat belts were the usual Clio fare as well as the boot being full of muck. It had blue bulbs in the head lights, a crusty old rear number plate light (They all end up like this..) The aerial had seen better days and it was missing its 'Cup' Badges on the doors. The dash inserts were also very tired and the engine bay had been painted in a way that I wasn't happy with -

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8629.JPG

IMG_8631.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
So I set about ordering some parts for it having given it a good clean (although it still needs a good detailing session when the weather gets better) -

Before -
IMG_8656.JPG

After -
IMG_8657.JPG

I also swapped the aerial for a smarter type -
IMG_8672.JPG

I want to replace the 'Cup' Badges for the 182 Cup, which differ from the 172 badges. Unfortunately for me, Renault do not make these anymore and they are very hard to get hold of. I currently have 1, but really need another, if anyone has one or would like to sell theirs, please let me know -

IMG_8673.JPG

Afte these few small cosmetic tweaks were sorted I decided to turn my attention to the badly painted engine bay, in a interesting choice of colours. I started by stripping off the affected parts, mainly the inlet manifold and injector cover. I removed the sound deadening and will be throwing this away and removed the bonnet catch as it needed some TLC also. I decided to degrease the underside of the bonnet, as well as give the area a good wipe down (don't think this had been done in a long time, if ever) -

IMG_8663.JPG

At this point I discovered it had a RAM AIR panel filter, looks pretty much brand new. -

IMG_8664.JPG

I set about painting the top of the engine with VHT paint as got the other bits shot blasted and ready for painting. I cleaned up and painted the bonnet catch and put it all back together.

IMG_8666.JPG

Notice the spot of rust top left? I need to get this fixed at some point.

IMG_8679.JPG

Starting to look a lot better with the refreshed bonnet catch, degreased bonnet and repainted cover -
IMG_8689.JPG

I then got the inlet manifold and injector cover back from being shot blasted -

IMG_8698.JPG

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I've painted them with VHT silver paint ready to go back on and done a mock up to see what it would look like. I'm waiting for a new set of NGK spark plugs hence the reason why I haven't put it all back together today -
IMG_8705.JPG

In the engine bay -
IMG_8702.JPG

I've taken the opportunity to clean up the throttle body whilst its off
IMG_8707.JPG

And the missing obligatory 'clean seat belt' shot
IMG_8708.JPG

Plans are to get it to Chris next week for the cam belt and make sure the engine is running nicely with a oil & filter change. Change the discs and pads all round. Standard on the rear and Brembo HC discs upfront with some track suitable pads.

Then my future plans are to strip it out and put some bucket seats/harnesses up front. A cage (undecided on what one yet, maybe a rear/half cage). A flocked dashboard and new steering wheel. Turini's with 888's and to keep it looking nice and OEM on the outside. I'm taking inspiration from an R26.R in terms of how I want it to look and feel but who knows what will happen over the coming months. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Darren

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Some nice work gone into this already, the engine bay looks much better now.

If you're planning on using it on the road then I'd go rear cage only.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Some nice work gone into this already, the engine bay looks much better now.

If you're planning on using it on the road then I'd go rear cage only.

Thanks mate, Yeah I think that sounds like a plan. Any recommendation on where is best to get a rear cage from?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Mark Fish seems to have fairly regular group buys on Safety Devices cages.

Might also be worth asking at Beaniesport.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff! Really need to clean my bay and spray my inlet manifold/fuel rail guard at some point in the spring, yours looks really clean now.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff! Really need to clean my bay and spray my inlet manifold/fuel rail guard at some point in the spring, yours looks really clean now.

Thanks :) Once I've fitted the new spark plugs later this week I'll get a final shot of it all back together including the other bits that's I've painted. Pleasantly surprised with the outcome/quality of Halfords own brand VHT paint.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work mate. How did you clean the belts?

Thanks. I extended them fully and held them in place with some mole grips, then mixed a bucket of hot water and Vanish 'Oxi' powder, let them soak for 20 mins then scrubbed up with a small brush. Well worth doing considering the state they were in!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
So a few bits arrived today -
IMG_8715.JPG

Most importantly were the Spark Plugs as it allowed me to properly put the engine back together, I'm really pleased with the final results but still debating on whether to get an engine cover to finish it all off?

IMG_8716.JPG

IMG_8717.JPG

IMG_8718.JPG

And a growing collection of old parts -
IMG_8719.JPG

Next step is to get the cam belt sorted and after that I'll will be stripping out the rear seats and looking at a half cage and some buckets as well some fresh discs and pads all round

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Great progress.

You seem to have the same idea as me with the 182.

Good luck moving forward.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Great progress.

You seem to have the same idea as me with the 182.

Good luck moving forward.

Thanks, yeah I've just started to read through your project thread, looks great, loving the new wheels. I'm a bit further behind than you though. I've got some bulbs that aren't working behind the heater panel, looks like it's a Cup trait..

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Thanks, yeah I've just started to read through your project thread, looks great, loving the new wheels. I'm a bit further behind than you though. I've got some bulbs that aren't working behind the heater panel, looks like it's a Cup trait..

I TBH thought you were ahead of me!

Funnily enough last weekend, when I went to collect the wheels, my lights behind the heater controls started working again. I was pleased I didn't need to take the heater unit out again as it was a bit of a pain however it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, just a little hard to get to the panels on the rear. Looking back I should have fitted new bulbs prior to fitting the new unit! Stupid looking back.

Keep up the progress.

Tom

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I finally got the chance to give the Clio a good clean today. I started with a basic washing using two bucket method and then clay barred it afterwards. Then another quick wash down and polished it with some Autoglym and then waxed over it with Dodo Banana Armour.

I'd say I enjoy detailing my cars but only in my own way, I know there's better products/methods and I don't have a DA polisher so just do the work by hand. Having said that I'm pleased with the results. I didn't get that many pics other than the wax going on -
IMG_8727.JPG

And then this shot of Inferno in the sun, I just think it's such an underrated colour. Genuinely really pleased with it way more than I ever originally thought I would be. It's got a great pop to it -
IMG_8728.JPG

And then tucked up again in the garage after a few final tweaks with the back to black -
IMG_8735.JPG

This is coming together very nicely!! The difference in that engine bay is like night and day, looks soooo much better now. I personally would get an engine cover as it just finishes it all off for a nice oem+ look. Oh, and I need to do that with MY seat belts!!

Great work, keep the updates coming :cool:

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
So the Cup was with Chris at BeanieSport over the last few weeks and has had some much needed work doing. I dropped it off for the full cam belt/aux belt/dephaser/water pump etc. As well as for a coolant change with some fresh Type D, as well as a new expansion tank, as the the old one was letting down all the hard work I'd done on sprucing up the engine bay.

Dropped off -
IMG_8792.JPG

I also asked Chris to look at the airbag light (continually on) and a really horrible rubbing noise when on full lock left and right. Once Chris had a look he informed me that the rubbing noise was the aux belt, which was as crusty and hard as an old piece of wood, and the tensioner was seized solid. Amazingly it hadn't snapped and it looks like I got it to him just in time. The last time the belts were done was 2009, so well overdue. Chris also pointed out that my handbrake cable was snapped (that'd be why it was weak and the handle rose 90 degrees lol). He also sorted the air bag light out which is great.

Work being carried out -

fullsizeoutput_4715.jpeg

I picked her up this morning and couldn't wait to drive home as it's felt like such a long time, especially driving a diesel everyday. I was missing that revvy F4R. This afternoon, my Elf Oil & Renault Oil Filter turned up and I got that fitted and the fresh oil in. I also began the process of stripping out the interior, starting with the rear seats etc. Not 100% sure how far I want to go with this yet but I'm sure more will come out over the coming days/weeks. And added a little sticker to the side..

Picked up -
IMG_8856.JPG

Started the process -
IMG_8864.JPG

I discovered today when changing the oil that I also have an Magnetic Sump Plug (courtesy of the previous owners) as well as a polybushed dog bone which was a welcome surprise) although I'm not sure the dogbone has been done correctly, as it has one black OEM looking part of it? -
IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

Whilst it was having the cambelt done I ordered some Brembo HC discs for the front, as well as Renault rear discs with mintex pads. All I need now are some pads for the front (still undecided on what ones) and some braided lines to finish it all off. Those will have to wait as I've spent a fair chunk of money in the last few weeks on this car..

Discs prepped and waiting for the final few bits -
IMG_8873.JPG

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
When changing your coolant bottle did you just clamp off the hose and then remove the bottle and refill or did you drain, refill and bleed the whole thing?

Also your dogbone mount looks like it's all polybush just looks dirty but I can definitely see a shade of purple. Car looks great mate!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
When changing your coolant bottle did you just clamp off the hose and then remove the bottle and refill or did you drain, refill and bleed the whole thing?

Also your dogbone mount looks like it's all polybush just looks dirty but I can definitely see a shade of purple. Car looks great mate!

Thanks. I think you're right about the dog bone, it's just very grimey.

I asked Chris to do the coolant bottle and coolant change whilst he was doing the cambelt. He's done a full flush through. It makes sense because it looks so much better and it looked like it had never been changed. I just rest a bit easier knowing it's done.

Not sure on how long it took him to do but the genuine oem bottle is £50 or so which is a lot. Then again I didn't fancy a pattern part that couldn potentially go pop.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. I think you're right about the dog bone, it's just very grimey.

I asked Chris to do the coolant bottle and coolant change whilst he was doing the cambelt. He's done a full flush through. It makes sense because it looks so much better and it looked like it had never been changed. I just rest a bit easier knowing it's done.

Not sure on how long it took him to do but the genuine oem bottle is £50 or so which is a lot. Then again I didn't fancy a pattern part that couldn potentially go pop.
Just had my coolant changed but hadn't grabbed a bottle. Pattern bottles are OK, just dont use the caps.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
So I had some time over the last 2 days to work on the Clio and spruce up its home. I decided I wanted to paint the garages white giving them a more modern/spacious feel. Next up will be the floor, I'm thinking grey..

Before -
IMG_8913.JPG

After -
IMG_8937.JPG

I finally got round to fitting the rear discs and pads today. OEM discs with the bearings built in and some mintex pads -

IMG_8932.JPG

Old -
IMG_8927.JPG

New with painted discs and callipers to keep the rust at bay (I also gave the arches a quick wipe down, although they'll need more attention next time I detail it) -
IMG_8936.JPG

Ready for the tip -
IMG_8933.JPG

I decided to get rid of the new style RS badge that was there, opting instead for the original 'Clio' badge, which I have to say I actually prefer. Managed to get a good deal on eBay. I also took out the original 'Elf/Renault' rear window sticker as it was a bit crusty/peeling around the edges, although I forgot to take a pic -

IMG_8941.JPG

Up next will be the front discs and pads. I need to order the pads and I've decided on DS2500's to begin with. I think in terms of cost vs usage they'll be good beginner pads on track. If I need a more capable pad for the future then they'll be easy enough to swap once they've been worn down..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Only deep pockets by choice, know what you mean though. Seems you have a decent base so it's all good fun :)

That does look very smart, I too went with the original badges on the back so high five, i'm not alone LOL!

Mine was totally debadged when I got mine so needed new 'Renault' 'Sport' AND 'Clio' badges...... that I got from Renault. £90 🙈