ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Inferno

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
So I finally got my home made 'Cup' badge back! Quite excited about this as it's been a good month in the making!

As I wanted an original 'Cup' badge and Renault didn't make them, I had to find a way to make a badge as near as possible to the original. I contacted lots of 3D printing companies thinking it would be a very straight forward thing but nobody wanted to do it, or felt they could do it justice.

I ended up being reccomended a local business 'Braunston Ltd' who cut me 20 badges with different thickness. The clear ones are just too chunky whereas the black/gold ones were perfect. You can see the original Renault badge at the top.

IMG_8774.JPG

The badges before I started sanding or smoothing offered up next to the original -
IMG_8782.JPG

I sanded them down to try and smooth the face of it as they had flat edges. I then bought some 'Chrome' paint, naively thinking it may produce a good match to the original. They look nice but more of a silver than a chrome.

IMG_8787.JPG

I found another company who chrome items, they are used to doing bigger jobs such as shop mannequinns and other bespoke parts but said they could do the badge for me. Here is a picture of it being finalised -
IMG_1321.jpeg

So far so good, but I needed some special double sided adhesive. I searched the Internet and found out about the 3M 200MP adhesive that's used in phones to hold parts together. I've spent the evening prepping it and cutting around the shape of the badge -
IMG_8952.JPG

A comparison of the 'chrome' paint versus the chromed version -
IMG_8951.JPG

I again offered up the new one next to the original one for comparison, to see how it matched up. I was pleased with the final outcome -

IMG_8953.JPG

Once the adhesive was cut and applied I placed the badge on the other side and fixed it into its final position. It's as close to an original part as I think I'll get. It might seem a bit far just for a small badge but I want the car to look original on the outside, with the track day mods on the inside! The devil is in the detail..

IMG_8966.JPG

Time will tell how it fares against the weather and other elements, and how long it stays on for.. I don't think I'll be going through this process again if it does come off lol.

I do have 8 badges left over (or 4 sets) in the silver colour if anyone would like some to add to their 182 or to replace lost/damaged one. I'm also happy to put you in touch with the chroming company I used as they were very helpful!

Great work going to those lengths to get one sorted, have you got two new ones on the car, one either side, so they match?

Also, genuine question, are there no originals floating about on eBay etc you could get? New old stock I mean

As said, nicely done here. It's the little details that make the difference :up::up:

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Great work going to those lengths to get one sorted, have you got two new ones on the car, one either side, so they match?

Also, genuine question, are there no originals floating about on eBay etc you could get? New old stock I mean

As said, nicely done here. It's the little details that make the difference :up::up:

Thanks, I spent ages scouring the Internet and found one original. But I just couldn't track down another. I'm sure one will turn up on eBay at some point in the future though knowing my luck. It hasn't cost me that much either which is good but Renault can't get even locate one (they aren't always the most helpful let's be honest).

I decided to put one original one and the replica one. So they don't match but who's going to notice? Lol!

You're right though, all about the little details!

Yeah I know what you mean with Renault haha when I first got my Clio I think I knew more about it than the parts guy at my local main dealer. And I knew almost nothing!!! But I was surprised (and also pleased) they could supply me with a 'renault' 'sport' and 'clio' so just wondered about the availability of the 'cup' badge. That said, the 182 cup is a much rarer car and less common badge to supply than 'clio' lol!

As you said, no one would ever notice the difference and that's only due to your new one being a great replica :up:

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Today I fitted some fresh plates as the old ones were faded and warped a bit. I ordered them with 'Silverstone' on the bottom (I know that won't be to everyone's taste) but I like it and it's subtle.

Also got the obligatory 'CS' sticker on the side window. Started on the front brakes as well today in the hope that my Ferodo pads would turn up, unfortunately they didn't so I won't be able to complete them until next week now, but I did manage to fit one new disc, rub down and paint the caliper black on drivers side and then reassemble without the pads and rolled it back into the garage until next week..

Next upgrade will be a rear/half cage, seen one on eBay for £400 as a bolt in item. I'm not looking for anything more than non competition track day use so think it will work well, just got to take the plunge..

IMG_9036.JPG

IMG_9056.JPG

IMG_9045.JPG

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Today I changed the front discs and pads. They were very tired and the stopping power was extremely poor, not sure when they were last changed tbh. A fresh set of HC Brembo discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads. The calipers are now a nice gloss black after wire brushing them first. Whilst I was there I cleaned the arches so now it's looking much tidier.

I also finally got the Clio insured with @Neil@greenlight, very easy and efficient service and a great price, would 100% recommend them. So now I can drive to track days!

IMG_9108.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9114.JPG

IMG_9055.JPG

Next up my plans are for a cage and some upgraded seats/harnesses...

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
It's been a while since I've been able to make any progress on the Clio after a busy summer. But I did have a few choice parts on order and two of them turned up today -
IMG_9564.JPG

I've had the Clubsports on order since mid August so it was nice to actually finally get hold of them. I also ordered some Sabelt 'Clubman' 6 Point Harnesses, toyed with the idea of the slightly cheaper 4 points but from a safety perspective I felt these were the best choice -

IMG_9567.JPG

IMG_9476.JPG

I've also had a SD rear cage on order with Mark Fish for a few weeks now and once that comes into stock I'll get it delivered and installed along with the seats and harnesses. It's nice to be able to put the 'upgrades' into the Clio after a good 6 months of trying to get it mechanically sound.

And finally as it's my birthday soon I treated myself to a trackday helmet. Went for an OMP one from Demon Tweeks. And added my own little sticker to the back..

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

Nice work. I’m going along the same lines with mine. I work in towcester. Paths might cross at some point. Custom cages are in daventry. Did you get a quote from them?

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work. I’m going along the same lines with mine. I work in towcester. Paths might cross at some point. Custom cages are in daventry. Did you get a quote from them?

Ahh that's cool, have you got a project thread on here? Would be good to see yours. I didn't realise Custom Cages were in Daventry so went straight for the Safety Devices one. Really looking forward to getting it all fitted now!

No project thread. Bought the car from ‘Rojer’. He did one. Just been round to custom cages. Bit steep for me. Booked in for rockingham this weekend. Summer social event with 2x track sessions. Want to see how car performs as it is.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
No project thread. Bought the car from ‘Rojer’. He did one. Just been round to custom cages. Bit steep for me. Booked in for rockingham this weekend. Summer social event with 2x track sessions. Want to see how car performs as it is.
You got a good car there, Rojer put a lot into it. Are you going to do a thread to log your progress with the car?

You got a good car there, Rojer put a lot into it. Are you going to do a thread to log your progress with the car?
Might do. Not done too much so nothing to post yet. Maybe after the weekend. Did you try seats for size before ordering or just guessed?

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Might do. Not done too much so nothing to post yet. Maybe after the weekend. Did you try seats for size before ordering or just guessed?

Guessed it. Went for the 'Standard' size as opposed to 'XL' and they're a snug fit. I'm 6ft 2" and a 32" waist. Any bigger and would probably need the XL. Having said that you do want a good fit otherwise there's no point

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
@Darren61

Who did you get the cage off? Looks ideal.

You fitting it yourself?

Ordered it from Mark Fish. Very helpful and knowledgable so would recommend going with them.

I've been speaking wth Tom @a17vts who has been really helpful as he's done the same, with a great progress thread.

I am going to have a go at fitting it myself but just trying to find a welder who can sort of the spreader plates. Is it going to be your next mod then?

182 Cup & DCi 172
Ordered it from Mark Fish. Very helpful and knowledgable so would recommend going with them.

I've been speaking wth Tom @a17vts who has been really helpful as he's done the same, with a great progress thread.

I am going to have a go at fitting it myself but just trying to find a welder who can sort of the spreader plates. Is it going to be your next mod then?

Mine already has the mounts in for this cage so would make sense - used to be a track car and mark fish did all the work.

Will see what funds are left after turbo conversion and go from there

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so I spent some time over the last 2 days getting the prep done ready to get my cage installed. I was originally going to just get it fitted by someone else but decided to give it a go (up to a point) with some helpful advice from Tom @a17vts who has really spurred me on to make this happen.

I removed the sound deadening with a heat gun. It came away so easily, not sure if I just got lucky but it peeled off after hardly any heating. I used a bit of WD40 which worked a treat to get rid of the final sticky residue it left behind.

Then I trimmed the carpet, still not sure if I'm going to keep the rear carpet but I'll make a decision once the cage is welded down.

Lastly I sanded back the paint in readiness for the spreader plates to be welded into position. I'm getting this done next weekend as I'm no welder! Then I got the cage into position today as a trial fit (on my own I might add) and stood back in admiration as it's starting to look the part now. For now it's resting in the car on the plates and cable tied the rear to hold it in position until the welding takes place.

I did pop the Clubsports in to see what they'd look like, but I'm awaiting some proper subframes from @JON FOZ which will be here in the next couple of days.

After this is all done, I'll be fitting the Sabelt harnesses :D

IMG_9719.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_9884.JPG

IMG_9892.JPG

IMG_9893.JPG

IMG_9895.JPG

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
You did well getting that in and out on your own!

Great progress, can't wait to see the finished article.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I dedicated quite a lot of time to the Clio this weekend. After prepping the car as much as I could in readiness for the cage to go in, I took it to a friend of my Dad who happened to be a welder and got the spreader plates fixed permanantely into position.

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_9989.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

Then I used a Zinc based primer that helps keep any potential future rust at bay and layered that over with some gloss black spray paint I had lying around. The final fitting of the cage was a bit of a hassle as I ran out of daylight and the bolts for the rear arch stays were a tad short to get an initial bite on the thread but we worked it out in the end.

IMG_0068.JPG

The finished article -
IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

Today I fitted my Corbeau Clubsports on the VBD X-Low frames with the Sabelt Clubman 6 Point Harnesses. Accessing the bolts for the seats underneath the car (closest to the exhaust) is a total pain but I got there after some adjustment.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Lastly I wired up my horn, connecting the existing cables by crimping new wiring and spade connectors. I also cut the spring clip off the back of the OMP horn as reccomended after doing some research into it (apparently it can cause the wiring to short/melt if left on) and I didn't want that.

IMG_9993.JPG

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I finished putting the wheel together and think it looks spot on especially with the colour co-ordinated bracket to keep cruise control

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

I took it out for a drive and am really pleased with the overall results. The car feels more rigid and tight through the bends and with the seating/steering position being a lot lower and together with the harnesses, its starting to feel (and look) really purposeful.

Next on the agenda will be to add a few flocked parts such as the dash/pillar trims. Then a PMS Shifter. But for now, really loving the car!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Great job so far. Are you going to strip more out or go more clubman spec?

I don't want to put the interior back in the rear but I don't want to strip the front out completely at the moment. I think as time goes on I'll come to a more conclusive decision.

I think the more mods I make to it, the clearer I'll be but if I was erring on one way it would be to fully strip it throughout