ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Inferno

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
After I’d fitted my lovely new 2118’s on the front, I realised that they were catching on the inside edge where the abs cable mount protrudes slightly from the B14’s. It was catching the tiniest amount on the fronts only, I’m guessing it’s because they are ET43 offset, so I needed some spacers..

I’m not personally keen on adding spacers, hubcentric or other, so contacted Nick at Pure Motorsport who recommended trying some slip on 5mm ones (with longer bolts of course). They’ve done the job for now, but I’m not sure about a longer term solution.

1191FF25-52F4-46A8-82DE-9098F5B45C8F.jpeg

39BC1242-1848-4514-A7DD-22076F761845.jpeg

B5B40B0B-6193-49CC-9132-4282709235DF.jpeg

The finished look! I’ve got to say I’m very pleased with how it’s looking now -

0804083D-DEA1-433B-9EE5-4471F2C5B9DA.jpeg

2074B311-9EDD-4C75-B194-995E5D620DF4.jpeg

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I took the Clio over to Chris at BeanieSport yesterday morning to have my PMS Shifter fitted that I’d bought as part of the group buy, but with a stag do, wedding and wife’s birthday rolled into one month, spending on the car had to pause for a few weeks.

But I’m pleased I finally got it fitted as it’s a definite improvement over the standard system, I did manage to get hold of the vibration dampener as well, which helps a lot but there is still some vibration especially when idling. I’m going to try @182_steve trick with the elastic band to see if that will cure it. It is a dedicated track day car, so I don’t mind but if I can’t cure the vibrations 100%, but I’ll give it a go, especially for the sake of using 1 elastic band.

Great to see some other projects and cars at BeanieSport too!

C044DC0C-7439-4B9F-B0AF-83E4DB1CFC00.jpeg

E8CF2905-0E0A-4CAF-90F5-176E3F4A4339.jpeg

B13DE592-0FCF-4D8D-A7CF-6E62602E903E.jpeg

EDB12F3F-8322-4648-A950-47F7CED98D0D.jpeg

F5AD8762-237E-43C9-ADF2-BF439B688A6B.jpeg

The car looks fantastic now, the wheels and everything look spot on - re. the spacers, I know what you mean but I too have those same 5mm ones from Pure and being only 5mm (but with 30mm bolts), I've never had any issues whatsoever so hopefully you should be fine.

Defo try the elastic band, I've never had any vibration at all on idle since I fitted mine it just rattles a good 'un under heavy acceleration at higher revs but overall, its much better!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Not a huge update as many of life’s other priorities have got in the way, including weddings and holidays etc etc

But I have ordered myself the K-Tec “Fatty” induction kit. I know it can be sourced cheaper and there’s the inevitable tax that comes with it, but I just fancied a plug and play solution. That should arrive next week, will get some pics up then.

In the meantime, I decided to clean behind the bump strips, 14 years of grime wiped away which is oddly satisfying

120BD175-54D8-43E5-A694-71B80B1D3A51.jpeg

CDFCC59A-E7BF-47B6-A130-FAB1D8EC6A2F.jpeg

77EAD8EE-D3DD-4046-BA4C-B75D482D6E31.jpeg

Apart from a GoPro, there’s not much more I want to do to it (at this point in time) other than a set of new road tyres and refurbish the standard 182 wheels, as true to form they are kerbed.

In the longer term I’m going to source a new (rust free) bonnet and have the front end re-sprayed which hopefully freshen it up.

Currently browsing track days at Bedford (maybe 25th September!) ?

Looks fantastic @Darren61 - proves yet again, no matter how clean you think the car is, there's always more muck haha I just KNOW mine will be minging behind the side strips as well. But great job!

It's of course each to their own with the induction kit, but for me and my car, I only wanted the proper K-Tec kit too. Mine's with the black pipe, did you go for the same? You'll love the noise!!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Looks fantastic @Darren61 - proves yet again, no matter how clean you think the car is, there's always more muck haha I just KNOW mine will be minging behind the side strips as well. But great job!

It's of course each to their own with the induction kit, but for me and my car, I only wanted the proper K-Tec kit too. Mine's with the black pipe, did you go for the same? You'll love the noise!!

Thanks Steve! Always appreciate you kind words. Absolutely right, there’s always a bit of grime hiding away. I’m actually contemplating whipping off the front bumper now to give it a wipe down as I’m sure there’s plenty more of that.

Ah decent, I hear the noise alone is worth it? Went for the black hose :)

Thanks Steve! Always appreciate you kind words. Absolutely right, there’s always a bit of grime hiding away. I’m actually contemplating whipping off the front bumper now to give it a wipe down as I’m sure there’s plenty more of that.

Ah decent, I hear the noise alone is worth it? Went for the black hose :)

Oh 100%! The noise of the car was transformed - I was happy with the previous K&N panel in standard box set up but when I bought my new Milltek cat-back exhaust you just couldn't hear it and the car was soo quiet. So that was my que to go and get the K-Tec! As soon as that went on, NOISE! You'll see ;) Glad you went for the black hose too, very oem looking and I don't think any other colour would have suited your car!

Don't think I could go as far as getting the bumper off...……...but man does it need a front end respray, the stone chips and a tiny scuff from a previous owner really does my head in lol!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Spent today giving the Clio some TLC ahead of my first track day at Rockingham on Monday.

The standard wheels had Rainsport 2’s that were 6 years old, worn in all sorts of places and “crusty” so I’ve replaced them with a fresh set of Rainsport 3’s. My thinking behind that is, if it’s raining I’ll hopefully still be able to use the car with those instead of the R888R’s on the 2118’s you can see in the new wheel bags...

Gave it a clean so it looks it’s best in any pics that may be taken. Really looking forward to it as it’s been so long in the making! Fingers crossed for dry weather..

E8B0E82E-AF63-443E-A0AB-289FEAAD76E3.jpeg

18E6D778-ADE9-4CD8-A10B-44B11E681819.jpeg

7735C757-4AE0-4CEB-ACEE-D2823034384E.jpeg

Car looks fantastic matey, best of luck with the track day, a long time coming for you indeed! :D

How much were those Richbrook bags by the way? Would be a much better way to store my Turini's, assuming they'd take 16" wheels?

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks fantastic matey, best of luck with the track day, a long time coming for you indeed! :D

How much were those Richbrook bags by the way? Would be a much better way to store my Turini's, assuming they'd take 16" wheels?

Thanks! Yeah it’s been too long really, so many other things getting in the way. Should have made the most of the weather this summer really but hey ho!

They were £25 for the set and for upto 18” so you’ll be fine with the Turinis in there as they are adjustable. Handy to store and transport. They got a handle on and Velcro pocket for wheel bolts. Looks smart too! All I’m missing now is my own pit crew now ?

Thanks! Yeah it’s been too long really, so many other things getting in the way. Should have made the most of the weather this summer really but hey ho!

They were £25 for the set and for upto 18” so you’ll be fine with the Turinis in there as they are adjustable. Handy to store and transport. They got a handle on and Velcro pocket for wheel bolts. Looks smart too! All I’m missing now is my own pit crew now ?

Cheers for that, just been on the bay and bought a set! Bargain!

Will look forward to photos of you in action ;)

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
On Monday I did my first track day. It was the Renault Sport one at Rockingham. A great opportunity to drive the circuit before it closes at the end of the year. The day was brilliant, met some great people, got a chance to properly try out the car (which performed really well) after all the work piecing it together and getting it ready for track days.

The weather was also spot on! Here’s some pics from the day, will definitely be booking up for the next RS day next year.

894E870E-C7ED-419E-B084-2383F781BF6F.jpeg

DBCAF4A8-04C4-40C1-B9FE-71E02D30637C.jpeg

F4BB9CF3-2853-4CB5-9B48-715F1EE52877.jpeg

A89D6B02-2333-4F18-8B39-26DB18D0B9F6.jpeg

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
How did you find Rockingham? Clio suited for it?

Yeah definitley suited the Clio. The infield section was really good, a challenging hairpin and twisty chicane were my highlights. Has a good straight to open the taps as well, but we know it’s not about outright top end lol...

You’ll be happy you’ve done it before it closes. I’ve booked onto Bedford on the 5th Nov if you’re around?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
No such luck now with the clutch gone!

Although I'm still aiming to get the car up and running for 8th December 2018 for Rockingham.

2005 Silver 182
Just read the whole thread. Really like the attention to detail and all the mods are really what I’m looking into myself. Full belts, aux and pump etc are on the list as I want some peace of mind on that side of things. Trying to find a place I feel I can trust close by is looking tough. Keep up the great work!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Just read the whole thread. Really like the attention to detail and all the mods are really what I’m looking into myself. Full belts, aux and pump etc are on the list as I want some peace of mind on that side of things. Trying to find a place I feel I can trust close by is looking tough. Keep up the great work!

Thanks mate, more upgrades coming soon! Watch this space! ?

Chiming in on this thread -- awesome!

Well done on creating a smacker of a track car!!

How are you getting on with brake temperatures? I was surprised to see the front spot lights still in place.. I would have thought some ducting would have been a high priority?

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Chiming in on this thread -- awesome!

Well done on creating a smacker of a track car!!

How are you getting on with brake temperatures? I was surprised to see the front spot lights still in place.. I would have thought some ducting would have been a high priority?

Thank you, I do need to get out on track more in 2020. Only managed a couple last year.

I haven’t updated this thread for a while (will get back on it!) but I did sort the brake ducting, I’m sure it’s helping BUT, with 20 minute stints on Brembo HC’s with Ferodo DS2500’s on the front (I know they’re not to everyone’s taste) they’ve actually stood up really well to the abuse on track. I do want to go for a better compound though, so will probably do that soon.

I’m on Instagram as @clio182cup and tend to keep that as my progress tracker more than this...

91CC1DF4-AB58-4235-83E1-8DCC26741AC9.jpeg

ADFDD167-FFA2-4BFB-B9E1-74F38CA49CF9.jpeg

C90F9FD5-08F3-4141-9984-1479063C0526.jpeg

Inferno182

ClioSport Trader
  172 Track M3RS Track
Thank you, I do need to get out on track more in 2020. Only managed a couple last year.

I haven’t updated this thread for a while (will get back on it!) but I did sort the brake ducting, I’m sure it’s helping BUT, with 20 minute stints on Brembo HC’s with Ferodo DS2500’s on the front (I know they’re not to everyone’s taste) they’ve actually stood up really well to the abuse on track. I do want to go for a better compound though, so will probably do that soon.

I’m on Instagram as @clio182cup and tend to keep that as my progress tracker more than this...

View attachment 1448611

View attachment 1448609

View attachment 1448610

Looks awesome mate.

I run ds1.11 for the track car as they are more durable for track! I’ve had to get extreme on ducting though and the ring just cooks brakes! Especially if your going back to back in Laps [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassa

ClioSport Club Member
Just read through your thread (and gave you a follow on insta). I really like what you've done with the car, and how clean it is! I hope to pick up a 182 of my own in the coming weeks, and hope it's half as nice yours. Good work dude.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Just read through your thread (and gave you a follow on insta). I really like what you've done with the car, and how clean it is! I hope to pick up a 182 of my own in the coming weeks, and hope it's half as nice yours. Good work dude.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, much appreciated. A few positive comments makes me want to get this thread going again properly!

Yea +1 on that!

Cheers mate!