ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question for all u lot who know about amp

500bhp Scoob

Hi, just bought meself a couple of vibe 10" subs, 300w RMS 600w MAX 4ohm bessies.

I wanna get an amp to drive both of these, im not really good with picking amps, am quite new to this, so can i ask for someones assistance please :)

thanks

500bhp Scoob

ok, well im seriously considering getting an Alpine MRP-M350 but that pumps out 350w RMS, would that still be suitable if i adjust the gain?

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 24 February 2004

two options !! 2 channel amp with 2x300W RMS or a single channel amp with 1x 600W RMS that is 2 ohm stable !!
i think you might have miss typed

500bhp Scoob

ok, well being a skilled electronics engineer, i can say that parrallel loads, if both the same, i.e 4x4ohms=2ohms, if you wire them up in parrellel, therefore only requireing half the power, as the resistance is halfed. The only thing stopping you is the amp, which in my fact is 2ohm stable, therefore it should run both subs each way. Althou i want someone to clarify that before i put it into practice!! hehe.

Thanks again for taking your time viewing this thread :)

look into getting a 2channel amp which can power the subs, they are out there, rather have a 2ch than a mono trying to run 2 subs

Quote: Originally posted by Dink16v on 24 February 2004

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 24 February 2004

two options !! 2 channel amp with 2x300W RMS or a single channel amp with 1x 600W RMS that is 2 ohm stable !!
i think you might have miss typed
NO what i typed is correct !! But as bambam said a 2 channel amp is more desirable and probably cheaper !!

Polo + Micra

if you didnt miss type the you was WRONG

because a single channel amp would have to power both subs

each being 300 watts x 2 = 600 watts RMS

500bhp Scoob

right well looking at my college notes,

Rt (Total Resistance) = R1 x R2 / R1 + R2

therefore 4x4 / 4+4 = 16/8 = 2ohms

With the resistance halfed, you get double the power, and therfore you only need 300w RMS to feed both, just that the amp needs to be 2ohm stable

Polo + Micra

yes you would get double the power i.e 600 watts

if you half the resistance you DOUBLE the current

100v / 4 ohms = 25 amps

100v / 2 ohms = 50 amps

Yes it just means that the amp gets a lot hotter !! But if it is 2 ohm STABLE then it will run at 2 ohms !! current doesnt come in to it !!

500bhp Scoob

well would an amp that gives out 350w RMS at 2 ohms be adiquate? would there be any way of limiting the power it gives out so that i dont kill the subs

Should be OK at full chat TBH !! Yes there is a gain control on most amps and start it on half and work your way up until your happy !!

Is the amp a single channel amp ??

350z & 16v Maxi

Quote: Originally posted by ATOMiC-UK on 25 February 2004

ok, well being a skilled electronics engineer, i can say that parrallel loads, if both the same, i.e 4x4ohms=2ohms, if you wire them up in parrellel, therefore only requireing half the power, as the resistance is halfed. The only thing stopping you is the amp, which in my fact is 2ohm stable, therefore it should run both subs each way. Althou i want someone to clarify that before i put it into practice!! hehe.

Thanks again for taking your time viewing this thread :)

That is 100% correct!!!

500bhp Scoob

Thanks Colin_S, 3 years of my working life, and thats all i can say about it lol, parrallel loads...

anyways can someone either tell me that the amp that i picked further up in the thread is suitable to run 2 300wRMS subs in parrallel, or could they pick me a suitable amp thatll do nicely

i have the same set up as you (2 x 10 inch vibes) im powering them off a zapco ag series amp which is 4 channel, iv got it bridged to 2 channel and it is supposed to put out 170W RMS which isnt really enough for the 300 stated but it is fekiin loud and i cant listen to it with the volume above 30 (40 maximum), I dont think youll use all 600 watts of them unless your a extremely hardcore bass junkie

Polo + Micra

if it has the same spec as the new black box 2

the most you would be able to get out of it is 200 watts RMS (100 RMS per sub)

that is with a sub across each channel

(the power he was quoting was MAX power)