ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
True true, set of pro race would also be perfect. I know 2118’s are done to death but they just look so good :smile:
Been trying to find a set of oz f1’s that arnt a million miles away but they seem to be like hens teeth at the moment

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
2118’s are the long term plan but been trying to find some cheap track wheels but iv been spending left right and centre at the moment. Will get some before next trackday hopefully. Really want to try a set of ar-1’s

White Pro Race 1.2's for £330 delivered direct from Rimstock is a no brainer, you just have to wait 6-8 weeks for them.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
White 2118's look mega :wink:

IMG_20171007_130505.jpg

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
OZ Ultraleggera are the wheels you want for saving weight. They are 3,3 kg's lighter than my OZ F1's.
another of my favourites but haven't seen any come up for sale in right size/fitment in ages.
for the price pro race take the lead. ill probably end up with afew set of wheels no doubt.

Nah haha, i've not even used them myself yet.

9th Feb at Oulton will be their first outing.
best of luck its a dry day for you bud, look forward to seeing the update pics 😌

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Car is coming together nicely. What tyres where you on at Donington?
Thanks bud, much appreciated
unfortunately....Nankang NS2's (not NS2R's)
they are OK as a road tyre in the dry, but defiantly well out their comfort zone on a wet track.
In a way im glad I used them as with the limited grip the car felt on edge all the time, which will hopefully give me a better sense of progression when I change the tyres/new wheels.

Thanks bud, much appreciated
unfortunately....Nankang NS2's (not NS2R's)
they are OK as a road tyre in the dry, but defiantly well out their comfort zone on a wet track.
In a way im glad I used them as with the limited grip the car felt on edge all the time, which will hopefully give me a better sense of progression when I change the tyres/new wheels.
Thing is you will have learnt the cars behaviour on the limit with those ditch finders in the wet, best thing you could have done as now once you get decent tyres you will be able to really push on knowing the limits and more importantly how to control it on the limit.:up:

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Thing is you will have learnt the cars behaviour on the limit with those ditch finders in the wet, best thing you could have done as now once you get decent tyres you will be able to really push on knowing the limits and more importantly how to control it on the limit.:up:
That's kind of what I was hoping for, I did start looking at getting new wheels before the TD but I came to the decision that I needed a base reference point for me to progress (myself and the car) from.

cant wait to get the coilovers on either, unfortunately the supplier I used sent me the wrong ones (BR's instead of DR's) and its proving a huge ball ache to get it sorted. ordered my polybushes at the same time and still waiting for those even though they are "in stock"

Yeah I stared track days with a fully standard car and built it up gradually. It's part of the fun for me with the buzz of fitting something new and not knowing how it's going to change the car. Just recently upgraded to slicks so really excited to get to use these.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
tyres make such a huge difference, I remember the first time I went from R888's to full slicks about 8 years ago..............couldn't believe the difference and R888's are a damn decent track tyres

your approaching it all correctly though, build the car up gradually (ish, I know it gets exciting! I love buying s**t) test after major upgrades with a trackday. get tuition and get some seat time. and a decent trackday time shalt be had!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
for a weight insight see below for my wheels, well some of them anyway:

1: 15" Speedline Maracanã, Nankang NS2-R Tyres (195/50 R15) - 17.3Kg
2: 15" Speedline Williams, Toyo R888 Tyres (205/50 R15) - 15.8kg
3: 15" OZ Superleggera, Michelin Slicks (205/50 ish equivalent) - 11.3Kg

major savings to be had! yet to weight the 675 with AD08r's and the 2118's with R888r's or the F1 and Williams sets with PS3's :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
cant wait to get the coilovers on either, unfortunately the supplier I used sent me the wrong ones (BR's instead of DR's) and its proving a huge ball ache to get it sorted. ordered my polybushes at the same time and still waiting for those even though they are "in stock"

What spring rates did you go for on your BC's? I had to change mine last year as my fronts were to soft, was on 5kg/8kg now on 7Kg/8Kg's as this is the hardest I can have without having to have the shocks re-valved(?). Wish I had looked into it more before buying them in the first place but nevermind, it is fairly stiff now though so not sure if this is your second car, but personally I wouldnt wanna drive it everyday as it is, its bad enough driving it two hours there and back from circuit. But then again, having a properly stripped & setup track car as a daily isn't the best idea anyway (even though I did it years ago, the novelty soon wears off and I looked a tit).

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
tyres make such a huge difference, I remember the first time I went from R888's to full slicks about 8 years ago..............couldn't believe the difference and R888's are a damn decent track tyres

your approaching it all correctly though, build the car up gradually (ish, I know it gets exciting! I love buying s**t) test after major upgrades with a trackday. get tuition and get some seat time. and a decent trackday time shalt be had!

Thanks bud appreciate it, uncontrollably spending at the moment aha but we all love car parts (even my mrs does :smile:...or so she tells me)
Personally I feel seat time/tuition is the single best "mod" anyone can do. so it high on the check list for the next day

What spring rates did you go for on your BC's? I had to change mine last year as my fronts were to soft, was on 5kg/8kg now on 7Kg/8Kg's as this is the hardest I can have without having to have the shocks re-valved(?). Wish I had looked into it more before buying them in the first place but nevermind, it is fairly stiff now though so not sure if this is your second car, but personally I wouldnt wanna drive it everyday as it is, its bad enough driving it two hours there and back from circuit. But then again, having a properly stripped & setup track car as a daily isn't the best idea anyway (even though I did it years ago, the novelty soon wears off and I looked a tit).

Iv gone for BC DR 8/8kg with solid camber/castor top mounts. until a year ago or so I didn't give spring rates a consideration until buying coilovers for the impreza I had at the time, Even on the hardest setting round Silverstone they felt way to soft. (5/4kg standard from bc)
at the moment its my daily, but thankfully I work 2 miles away so biking to work most days saves me a lot of looking like a tit :smile:
I think there are very few cars iv owned that haven't been stripped if im honest 😅

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Managed to put a short vid together with the little footage i got.

Your best off watching from 2:55 onwards.
This was my 5th lap of the day (3 slow pace laps, one out then back in, then from 2:55 onwards)

I got progressively quicker throughout the day but certainly wasnt quick :smile: would love to hear some feedback as i watching it back i know theres lots of errors i made due to nerves mainly 😊

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Jesus you was nearly bang on with the 18kg guess. Long way away from OZ superleggera’s :smile:
Once iv got some new wheels ans tyres will be booking another TD, fingers crossed its dry and can actually push the car this time :smile:

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Bit of a boring update,
Clio got MOT’d last saturday without any issues, i did notice that the inner and outer Arb bushes have some signs of wear, i already have some powerflex black series outers and lower arm bushes so just need to get some inners and set at it.
Que aweful picture
E0021648-44C9-4764-ABF0-25DCB55A9CFD.jpeg

The other thing i noticed was the rear hardlines have some corrosion so will be changing those for a braided setup to go with the other braided brake lines, i also need a rear drivers caliper as my nipples snapped off (ouch!)

On other news The clio will be coming off the road in the next few months to go into its future life as a dedicated track car, iv brought a e46 sedan that will be used to tow it about the UK, this is a big game changer for me and means i can make the clio abit more serious, which im massively looking forward to.
Will keep updated :up:

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So iv been a busy boy, Clio is now off the road and im using the Bmw iv brought as a daily which will also be used to tow the Clio afew times a year for trackdays, which means i can get abit more serious with the Clio and do bits i wanted to but havent due to it being my daily.

First job was to get these buggers out and replaced with powerflex black series arm and outter arb bushes and aftermarket balljoints.
D79705D7-86AC-41C6-ADEE-1C7035A4807D.jpeg

Also changed front discs for some brembo’s and replaced track rod ends inner tie rods and gave the arms a lick of paint...only had red so race car ?

91F7E39E-E844-498F-BA50-03A0B538EDDF.jpeg

30FF70A3-3D08-49A8-BA9B-999F433B4F20.jpeg

Next up is getting the remaining sound deadening out, cleaning the glue off thats left behind and removing unused wiring which iv already started but will update when finnished.

19EF3B1A-E450-430A-91AC-94132FA467C5.jpeg

Due to the track rod ends and tie rods being changed it need alighning (quite off at the moment) going to have a go myself with the string method, so any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
How are you getting it to the nurburgring? Drive it like a hero or trailer it?

The trips been pushed back til later in the year as there was to many little jobs that needed doing for me to be happy driving it that far and on the ring.
Not worth the risk.
Got a new rear callipers and braided brake lines to replace the rusty hard lines to go on next. gutted I wont be there in june for my birthday but not the end of the world, better safe than sorry ...

Just had a read through this and it’s nice Tom see the progression, one thing you’ll need to decide soon is whether you want 15’s or to stick with the 16’s.

15’s will be lighter and you’ll be thankful when it comes to buying track tyres, but it means having two sets wet and dry set.
16’s will mean you can just buy one more set of wheels, I’d then put Rainsport on the dailywheels and have a dry track tyre on the aftermarket set.

It all comes down to the wheel size too as this will determine how you set up the suspension and the important geometry part as it’ll change with the wheel choice

Another note, when recording a video on you phone, turn it landscape, you’ll get a better quality image and it’ll be the right way round for YouTube videos. Other than that, the videos got better throughout.

Keep us updated mate, it’s a great thread so far

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks dude much appreciated.
Will be going 15” hopefully.
I brought a Tessa Motorsport inlet months ago, iv decided to sell that as itll fund wheels. Dont really need any more “power” and would rarther it handle better first anyway aha.

Will have to do a video to update, got a galaxy s9 now so should be better quality

Thanks dude much appreciated.
Will be going 15” hopefully.
I brought a Tessa Motorsport inlet months ago, iv decided to sell that as itll fund wheels. Dont really need any more “power” and would rarther it handle better first anyway aha.

Will have to do a video to update, got a galaxy s9 now so should be better quality

A good mate of mine bought a 172 6 months ago and he’s thrown money at it like no tomorrow... he’s fitted a new Tessa inlet and seems to be having issues with it. It just seems to Ben one thing after another with that bit of kit, but then again, it is half the price of other units.

Sounds like a good decision to me ?

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Not very good at keeping this updated. Had a good day on the Clio today. Got it all back together and feeling abit more positive about it after having afew weeks of having no love or motivation.
Got half dash now, all sound deadening gone (bar some firewall foam crap)
Re fitted rollcage as i wasnt happy with the bolts. Chopped hella unused wires out (still runs thank god)
And as i had a stack of stickers being unused i slapped some on...unsure of it. Maybe will look better lower on new wheels...
20180708_163131.jpg
20180708_163113.jpg
20180708_163141.jpg
20180708_163012.jpg
20180708_163032.jpg
20180708_163047.jpg
20180708_163158.jpg