ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing Blue Racer – Project Thread!

to much ...

this weekend -
check rear brakes, calipers, springs... something is knocking
replace all stub axle nuts
paint rear calipers red
change front caliper anti rattle clips to top
bleed the brakes with ATE fluid

If time remove interior, cage etc

oh and maybe anthracite 2118's + sort the big nail thats in one of the rear tyres.... damn the list of problems never ends

Last edited by a moderator:
  80MPG BEEZA
winged seats arent annoying they come in handy when you pass people on the motorway and you can hide your face but they can see your smile :)

quick update -

anthracie 2118's should be goin on today -
2118-1.gif

Gave them a coat of AG EGP and Wheel Sealent, never doing that again...

DSC_0001.gif

RS Tuner also turned up yesterday, I couldnt wait to use it so went out last night and tried a few things, did some performance analysis of the standard car, then the latest ECU software (.rst) and then loaded the 98ron (.cal) will take the car out again today to see how it feels, last night we were just trying to do the perfomanace analysis.

RSTuner.gif

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Must pull my Finger out and get the RSTuning Software.... Love this Project so much

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Re: Racing Blue Racer – Project Thread!

its not as close as it looks because the wheel drops away, iv got the balancing weights on the inside aswell and they clear the caliper,

been doing some driving today and there amazing, but iv been taking it easy and the pads are only ds2500's

will take the front wheels off tomorrow and make sure everything is ok.

Im also not sure iv got the caliper anti rattle clip in the right place, I think the discs are on the right way ... lol

Race cars tend to have the grooved sections going from inside to outside as the wheel is turning.this dissipates heat into the wheel, and therefore the tyre and sidewall too, when braking. and also clears any debris from the pads/water and reduces glazing. better going from inside to outside really.

Rear discs aren't as important so doesn't matter too much how they go on back. Just thought i'd mention.

Motorsports degree might be useful afterall! lol

Excellent project you've got going on btw. I hope to do this with a 1.6 before the year is over, money just doesn't seem to build fast enough though.

Last edited:
Cheers but im still not 100% sure, It's the vanes inside the disc that im talking about not the grooves. (you might be talking about the vanes, let me know!)

I was looking at the AP Racing book yesterday.

"discs should be installed with cooling vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters, in the direction of rotation."

Without going and jacking the car up, looking at the pictures i have they look to be on the right way. If I turn the discs round the vanes will not be running back.

Either way the grooves on the face of the disc are going to clean the pads under braking. Maybe with them the other way round will be more agressive, but i really dont know and dont understand. Ill ask Mark Fish to check them when I book the car in next.

cheers guys

RS Tuner - Its great, easy to use, car feels good! Henk is really helpful.

ermmm ... what do you want to know?

SchwepTek™
What sort of gains and improvements are you getting from the standard files? Did Henk make you a custom file?

VRS
the rstuner seems interesting, ive seen mixed responses on the forums, some good, some neutral and some very bad

i just got the basic kit, no custom map as i didnt think it was worth doing untill iv decided what i want to do with the engine. The car deffently feels better and stronger.

I did the performance analysis but the conditions wernt ideal, wet, dark, not a flat smooth road. We really only did it for fun on thursday night.

Im not fussed about gain's (as in BHP), i doubt ill ever take my car along to a rolling road day, unless its free!! But the car feels good, it accelerates strongly through the rev range, i am hoping ill see a benefit on trackdays with the increased rev limit, I think it needs several starts to learn driving style ... I mapped it again on saturday morning, so it may change up to 10 or so starts while it "learns", ill probably load the .cal file again when i fit my matched inlets and if i fit a decat/sports cat so the ECU can "learn" again with the new bits.

When im happy that im not going to change the engine for a while ill ask henk about a custom map.

at the moment im pleased and would recommend it over going and paying a tuning company £300 +

and you get to do tests and read and erase fault codes as i have the emissions light constantly on ill be ordering a new manifold sensor from renault tomorrow.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nice project Dave, on the RS Tuner note have a search guys, there are loads of threads on it. Its a great product, love mine :)

Right, got the anthracite 2118's on today -

Firstly i cleaned the car and the arches with some I4D Bright Wheels, good stuff as i didnt need to scrub anything -

Fitted2118s3.gif

Fitted2118s4.gif

Then put the wheels on -

Fitted2118s7.gif

Fitted2118s13.gif

Fitted2118s12.gif

Fitted2118s14.gif

Loads more pics but will put them in media section

Iv also recently recieved some Ferodo DS1.11 to use on track days, I spoke to Tim @ circuit supplies who was an engineer and not a sales man and gave me a lot of info on the clio brakes as he had been at test days with both the 182 and 197.

DS111Large.gif

I wanted to get the DS1.11 and when he told me the 197 race car use them I thought they must be good ... (standard cliosport.net answer isn't it?!! ... LOL)

NO, I am not fussed what the cup cars run or run now just wanted a decent trackday pad

he also mentioned that on the test days they thought the clio 182 was under braked and that the cooling was an issue. not a lot can be done about the cooling because of the limited space in the arches. But a 4 pot brake upgrade is certanily the way to go what what i have experanced so far and it can only get better when i get the DS1.11 in and up to temp.

Next up is trackday tyres and after my exams next thursday, stripping the car and tidying up ready for some trackdays.

done a few bits since i finished my exams -

first up was to fix the horn button so i swapped the insides to make the auto cancel work -

AutoCancel1Large.gif

AutoCancel2Large.gif

AutoCancelLarge.gif

I lowered the rear ride hight and put some bump stops in -

How it was -

RideHeightLarge.gif

RideHeight1Large.gif

Now - as low as it will go on the LEDA platforms without taking one of the rings out, might have to try that next ...

RideHeight3Large.gif

RideHeight2Large.gif

I them put some DIY brake ducts in, Mark Fish made me some diflector plates from alloy, I fitted a small horn, im not conviced by it thought, sounds rubbish.

Removed the carbon canniser and fitted some 114mm ducting from both fog light holes.

BrakeDuctsLarge.gif

BrakeDucts3Large.gif

BrakeDucts4Large.gif

BrakeDucts1Large.gif

BrakeDucts2Large.gif

BrakeDucts5Large.gif

BrakeDucts6Large.gif

BrakeDucts7Large.gif

BrakeDucts8Large.gif

BrakeDucts9Large.gif

BrakeDucts10Large.gif

BrakeDucts11Large.gif

BrakeDucts12Large.gif

BrakeDucts13Large.gif

BrakeDucts14Large.gif

BrakeDucts15Large.gif

BrakeDucts16Large.gif

BrakeDucts17Large.gif

BrakeDucts18Large.gif

BrakeDucts19Large.gif

then i removed the interior, theres so much of it it would of been easier to leave it in the car, iv got no where to store it all!

Strip9Large.gif

StripLarge.gif

Strip8Large.gif

Strip7Large.gif

Strip3Large.gif

Strip2Large.gif

Strip1Large.gif

I also removed the seatbelt bars and just bolted them into one of the holes -

Strip4Large.gif

Strip5Large.gif

Just to get it out the way the harness bar went in -
Strip6Large.gif

I think decided to try this DeTar'ing fun and games with the bit in the boot.
It is very easy and comes off with a little heat, its heavy aswell so when its all out the car should be a bit lighter.

DeTar1Large.gif

DeTarLarge.gif

DeTar2Large.gif

All i have in at the moment is 2 seats and 2 mats, but the mats wont fit when the front part of the cage is welded in. Hopefully the new JustMatz will be sorted by then.

Last update for today, got some used trackday tyres, the pilot sport cups are 205/50/15 actual width 218mm and the dunlops are 195/55/15 actualy width 199mm but there dunlops are much wider as you can see ... weird ...

TrackTyresLarge.gif

TrackTyres1Large.gif

TrackTyres2Large.gif

TrackTyres3Large.gif

TrackTyres4Large.gif

TrackTyres5Large.gif

TrackTyres6Large.gif

These are for the white 2118's, im going to be fitting the dunlops first, not sure when ill get round to the pilot sport cups, maybe for the ring later in the summer or if someone wants to buy them PM me!

rain has stopped play for the time being, tried fitting the power flex black anti roll bar bushes, didnt have much luck, got to get some longer bolts and ask someone how they hell they get the bolts back in for the inner ones...

more updates next week i hope

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice project mate, good read, Fancy getting my self one of those rstuner kits, how much was it mate & where can i get one from?

I never had those seats, iv only owned cobra suzukas but sold them, im probably going to get recaro furious or recaro pole positions

yes Safety Devices roll cage