ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rally Clio Winter Project Thread

During the week the inside if of the shell has had a coat of paint too :)

DSCF1018.jpg

DSCF1017.jpg

80MPG BEEZA
woo aerocatches :)

and you've forgot to take the 2 bits out that hold the interior plastic's in at the back on either side of the boot entrance ;) as i've just chopped them out of mine lol

Forgot to take my camera today, so can only put up camera pics im afraid.

Comprake calipers and rotors fitted to the front. Looking very nice, and the beginnings of piping them up with residual pressure valves.

IMAGEB_00137.jpg

IMAGEB_00147.jpg

The brake pipes to the rear have been taken inside the car, and go through a brake bias valve and a master cylinder for the hydraulic handbrake as you can see in the photo. You can also see the gear lever for the sequential box.

IMAGEB_00142.jpg

Where the brake pipe goes back through to outside the car at the back.

IMAGEB_00141.jpg

Also the frame for the dashboard has had the end cut off and the remainder bolted back on. Need to just brace the O/S and it might all be ok hopefully.

IMAGEB_00143.jpg

Got the dash loom out the doner car, and have begun to strip out everything we dont want. This is the loom complete as it came out.

IMAGEB_00144.jpg

Finally dug out a selection of shims for the back stub axles.

IMAGEB_00135.jpg

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
god i wish my brake pipes were that neat :(

what connections have you used where the pipes go through the bulkhead and through the boot floor?

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Looks boss this mate, been following it over the weeks and looks like ur makin crackin progress. When u planning on having it up and running and on the road (or track)??

Brakes pipes have all been finished now.
Piping at the front.

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1042.jpg

And at the back.

DSCF1041.jpg

Wheel studs fitted to the front hubs, taken off the old car.

DSCF1045.jpg

And wheel spacers fitted front and back, again taken off the old car.

DSCF1044.jpg

Engine has had a bit of a clean; want to do a bit more around the rocker cover and various bits elsewhere on it.

DSCF1046.jpg

Engine, gearbox and alloy radiator have been test fitted using a combination, of Clio Mk1, Mk2 and Megane engine mounts. Are going to have some new stronger mounts made up to match the position the standard ones give. All looks great in the engine bay, and alot more room than in the Mk1.

DSCF1049.jpg

DSCF1047.jpg

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

Exhaust manifold test fitted for position. Clears the cross member, but need to work something out for the rest of the system.

DSCF1050.jpg

Clio 220 lpg
Looks like it's coming together well:clap: , what power does the motor produce starting to get worried bout the next time we compete, If I get mine going again :(

Looks like it's coming together well:clap: , what power does the motor produce starting to get worried bout the next time we compete, If I get mine going again :(

It was originally 240bhp, but dont know what it does now as it's got a completely different bottom end.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you :)

What have you done to yours, engine trouble?

alien green rs133
Finally dug out a selection of shims for the back stub axles.

IMAGEB_00135.jpg

are these the shims that space the rear stub axel out??? if so you want a pair of the ones on my car :evil: 30.5mm :rasp:

172 gravel rally
Great project, I built a gravel rally spec 172 last year and have been running it in a series in Queensland Australia. I've had 4 events so far and have been trying to iron out a few problems that seems to come standard with all Clio's. I have had 2 DNF's from broken engine mounts, I bought some Group N mounts before the first rally this season and had no issues at all, they felt really good. I've also had issues with brake bias. Even though I have a biaser plumbed into the rear lines I still can't dial out enough brake on the rear. Other than that the car feels really strong, and I'm hoping for a reliable season this year.

Here's a couple of pics to keep the enthusiasm up.

car-1.jpg

mountsetc.jpg

A

ashy_gtt

Looks mint, what engine is that? Never seen a gearbox with "Renault Sport" cast into the casing before?

Clio 220 lpg
Great project, I built a gravel rally spec 172 last year and have been running it in a series in Queensland Australia. I've had 4 events so far and have been trying to iron out a few problems that seems to come standard with all Clio's. I have had 2 DNF's from broken engine mounts, I bought some Group N mounts before the first rally this season and had no issues at all, they felt really good. I've also had issues with brake bias. Even though I have a biaser plumbed into the rear lines I still can't dial out enough brake on the rear. Other than that the car feels really strong, and I'm hoping for a reliable season this year.

Here's a couple of pics to keep the enthusiasm up.

car-1.jpg

mountsetc.jpg
Looks good I bet there,s some fantastic rally's out there with you. Are event's expensive out there?

The last few weeks we have mostly been sorting out the wiring and engine mounts, so couldnt really take any worthwhile pics of progress :)

All the unused wires have been taken out the dash loom, and have just retained the wiring for the lights under the bonnet.

Fitted a battery box in the back, and Anderson plug to easily put an external source on when needed. The live cable goes down the sill in the OEM plastic fixings, through a master switch on the dash and through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

DSCF1154.jpg

I have used the original fuses and relays here to wire up a high intensity horn, radiator fan, fuel pump, spot lights and power steering pump; all switched from the inside.

DSCF1155.jpg

Master switch and toggles for fuel pump, power steering pump, fan and spots.

DSCF1162.jpg

Also retro wired a normal heater back in, using the original controls for the car. Have a feed going to an auxiliary fuse box in the dash, plus in the dash is where the Pectel ECU is mounted and is where the flat shift box will go.

DSCF1163.jpg

Engine mounts were all custom made; have a heavy duty rear mount, top mount, gearbox mount and two front mounts. Slightly overkill maybe, but it's definitely not going anywhere.

N/S front mount

DSCF1158.jpg

O/S front mount

DSCF1157.jpg

Gearbox mount

DSCF1156.jpg

Have also started putting in the fuel pipes, routing them through the car.

From the tank into the inside.

DSCF1161.jpg

Through the bulkhead into the scuttle.

DSCF1160.jpg

Into the engine compartment and the the fuel pressure regulator.

DSCF1159.jpg

Next up is finishing the fuel pipes and finishing off the dash.

ValverInBits
wow. First time Ive seen this project. Great car. Love your rear suspension setup, Wish the standard setup was similar. Especially on MK1s

Been working on various ideas about how to mount and display the various guages on the dash.

Finally ended up with this.

Past the point of no return

DSCF1164.jpg

Drilled out the existing SMD's for the indictators I needed to use; indicators, headlights, main beam, charge light and oil pressure light. Then wired up the main earth strip on the PCB back to the earth wire on where the plug is soldered on. Then wired new LEDs in from the original feeds.

DSCF1166.jpg

Completed, with Stack rev counter, oil pressure guage, water temp guage, shift light, and the light that I need.

Photo005.jpg

If I have time to look at a speedo i'm not trying hard enough :)

As theres no speedo drive in the gearbox, and no ABS anymore there isn't a way to use the normal speedo even if we needed one. That said, we can have a digital display from a trip meter to show the speed.

If anyone was wondering, the memory of the rev counter shows the highest recorded value as 9000 rpm.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
You should have sold me that engine and box and used 172 stuff so i could put it in the pink thing....

Dash display connected up and self tappered in, all connected up and working. Also wired up the Pectel T2 ECU, so all ready to go wiring wise.

Photo007a.jpg

Got some longer Jenvey throttle body trumpets off ebay as it makes fitting an air filter much easier. Had to modify them a little but they fitted on a treat in the end.

Photo006a.jpg

Alloy radiator, fan and oil cooler have all been mounted and connected up.

Photo008a.jpg

Engine loom connected up, with coil pack mounted as shown.

Photo009a.jpg

Best of all, even had it running for a few seconds and it started up just about first time :)