ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Megane Berline 2.0 16v F7R swap

Hey guys, time to show my project :smile:

So, this is my Megane berline ph2 from year 2000. Original engine is 1.4e and after 318 000 kilometers it decided to blow it's head gasket for the 3rd time.. I didn't want to invest in 1.4e engine anymore and then i came up with an idea to put and hybrid inside.. 1.6e K7M block with 1.4e E7J head along with k7m intake manifold fitted with F7R ( 2.0 16v ) throttle body and Elia 4-1 exhaust manifold. I've ported and polished the head, we've ported intake manifold to fit the f7r throttle body and we almost installed everything but found out that the 1.6e block was bad, really bad..

So, as I was dissapointed with everything that happened i've decided to put in 2.0 16v F7R engine. It was easy for me to find it because my brother had 1 complete car to use as a donor and 2 other stripped out.

The fun began.. We thought it was going to be easy, just change the engine at that is it.. but no.. We needed to change everything, from interior wiring loom, wipers, climate control, everything you can imagine.. I was doing the swap with my 2 friends, it took us about 1 month total..

So, without further talking i will post the pictures and try to describe everything..

First the 1.4/1.6e hybdrid phase..

After opening 1.4e engine

HJ8rUosl.jpg

XXPIanUl.jpg

3K4jh7ml.jpg

K4G41awl.jpg

Porting intake manifold and fitting F7R throttle body.

Z13RsgPl.jpg

bYGSb7Nl.jpg

oIF0Gi6l.jpg

ceWFTD8l.jpg

Tb39rOyl.jpg

V5dYe7zl.jpg

elg40CBl.jpg

DboYxtkl.jpg

Porting 1.4e E7J head

SYZATH7l.jpg

VXCFkqRl.jpg

RRZu2Wal.jpg

1eChBsHl.jpg

7Zy78oxl.jpg

Sp8wn7Ml.jpg

OBAAiLAl.jpg

1DJvWZnl.jpg

qdHubW1l.jpg

b4egNzpl.jpg

auU4fxel.jpg

wtFQ5Ttl.jpg

KM3sCjWl.jpg

fSbB06Bl.jpg

3JHlYXWl.jpg

gfNJsnUl.jpg

ztZPA5Jl.jpg

r65PPsOl.jpg

Yes, R21 Turbo gauges in the back
tnU2kjgl.jpg

YNcT14jl.jpg

b1XXD1vl.jpg

And elia 4-1 exhaust manifold
DGtyGT5l.jpg

Last edited:
Now the 2.0 16v F7R swap part..

Old engine out and ph1 wiring in.. adding new conectors and figuring out where everything goes..

DTc26zel.jpg

IzcvvY0l.jpg

fOay9Pzl.jpg

d4sUyMcl.jpg

9TmNBhgl.jpg

zviE2nLl.jpg

OqpyeMLl.jpg

8lrBOOIl.jpg

pCyXPUzl.jpg

0knycQCl.jpg

BMpAHarl.jpg

nxq3P3Hl.jpg

JJdTmUDl.jpg

0SztD3ul.jpg

BxVctHul.jpg

hO5xgqRl.jpg

HhXIpTkl.jpg

1uuHBVVl.jpg

Engine exhaust manifold restoration
Cdi6BxXl.jpg

VY5hz40l.jpg

6zdbZnCl.jpg

eOSfqeQl.jpg

1ZiOpsyl.jpg

c3PyYiHl.jpg

hxo99fXl.jpg

wdxSIWFl.jpg

MnapRHTl.jpg

JT41wQql.jpg

zOQK3t0l.jpg

Egr ventil closed
v0OsNSYl.jpg

mIlcDwvl.jpg

pqiVBbXl.jpg

New parts!

k3gypjzl.jpg

Engine cleanup and belts replaced

kB3BYL7l.jpg

e6rrJeKl.jpg

LKTqLYCl.jpg

lFRcwmUl.jpg

q2hqlSXl.jpg

To lock in crankshaft
DRqh6fil.jpg

HJOvP6el.jpg

qOJd9TWl.jpg

9mMOqcgl.jpg

Almost..
FopUYGEl.jpg

2lIvk7Ul.jpg

In with the engine

SECKZ3Jl.jpg

zrxJbR5l.jpg

Last edited:
New thermostat

GuPO8xzl.jpg

9COsI41l.jpg

V4xTWVfl.jpg

Front suspension upgrade. 2.0 16v shocks stiffened and Eibach Elia 16v special springs

cR7hcdsl.jpg

3VxyA06l.jpg

VCFoMz5l.jpg

Wheel aligment
7NDUmS2l.jpg

Zrs3V1Sl.jpg

Front camber -2.50 because of 2.0 16v hubs

Alsow we lowered the torsion but i didn't take any pictures..

First startup

[

Soundcheck

Test run

[

And how she looks today

6R1LNHhl.jpg

uySaSBTl.jpg

koUdzP3l.jpg

01QzulQl.jpg

KNTzltIl.jpg

mfqeiAdl.jpg

Uf7s1Dwl.jpg

xCpJ8JDl.jpg

fJR5XzFl.jpg

D85HqPPl.jpg

MCGp1Ypl.jpg

Thats it!! Hope you undestand what i wrote and hope you like it :smile:

Last edited:
Congratulations on completing the build!

It looks like the build was a lot of hard work - full respect for that, I can't even be bothered to wash the car when it's under 20degrees outside 😂 lol

I hope you enjoy driving it, it will be an excellent 'sleeper'!

It was a real pain in the butt.. Lots of moments where we didn't know what was going on and i just wanted to smash it.. But luckly we figured almost everything out and she's on the road now.. I'm getting her prepared for MOT

New wheels! OZ F1 16". Will be restored, painted to original colour.

6zKHvAbh.jpg

u02NKZsh.jpg

UhbWgOyh.jpg

HH6pYi7h.jpg

GTez8PQh.jpg

RQKpOaAh.jpg

H6zYolYh.jpg

Gweza9Ah.jpg

Engine fresh up!
New crank & camshaft seals, new clutch ( i believe this was factory on the engine.. ), new radiator, intake manifold taken down and cleaned, it's full of gunk and i will be fitting oil catch can, gearbox sent on reparation as 3. gear is toast ( cheese JC5..)

9kzumGoh.jpg

hJzmrUih.jpg

V58yTTMh.jpg

SDNaJpah.jpg

ryxy4yOh.jpg

YeJaQnFh.jpg

zdTZTaih.jpg

srJyCSah.jpg

DIJJ25Ch.jpg

g0HZFynh.jpg

5lxkceah.jpg

2ycEzP7h.jpg

pJj7NNBh.jpg

sT4WmE4h.jpg

GLpzUwIh.jpg

4X7dKyQh.jpg

9b0fYQ9h.jpg

Mz2KEAJh.jpg

I5Y7g5eh.jpg

pLxO3fqh.jpg

NANyvgih.jpg

xdBi1umh.jpg

igexVdAh.jpg

gOTbelQh.jpg

dJX9qE5h.jpg

0YWi3q8h.jpg

wR9u4lDh.jpg

9AHlMnPh.jpg

B0nq4hah.jpg

FS11HgPh.jpg

N2sP3FOh.jpg

nrcot8jh.jpg

And got my hands on Devil exhaust manifold..

MFPMXenh.jpg

Master brake cylinder new seals..
kFWTGT5h.png

More to come!

Haven't post in a long time. Time for an update!

As the engine is out, this is the chance to tidy up engine bay. Front subframe was covered in thick grease from many years and 318 000+ kilometers.. First step was to wash it with high pressure washer, and then sent to sandblasting. When it returns it will be painted in matt black.

As i have steering steering rack from 16v i decited to upgrade it. The difference is big compared to my 1.4 8v rack. Carriers it self are double in size. Got new parts for that + new lower ball joint and got my hands on complete strongflex for front suspension.
Everything on the suspension is new.

Gearbox got new syncros..

Thats pretty much it, it should be put togeather in a week/two. Can't wait :D

QiuBNxoh.jpg

a8b4iC0h.jpg

zJQvebuh.jpg

LmtTBbTh.jpg

KaPOVWSh.jpg

RBiU11Ih.jpg

IogvBcfh.jpg

PrIZOByh.jpg

VI7GMxLh.jpg

jWMpcJWh.jpg

Had to get inner joint with width of 293 because mine is original that size, and because my width of the car is bigger compared to ph1 16v
C0CWbfRh.jpg

tNDxnkFh.jpg

i8fpnRSh.jpg

xSib5eoh.jpg

Subframe sand blasted and painted with epoxy primer and polyurethane paint.

Came out really nice looking.

Steering rack from ph1 2.0 16v, subframe and lower control arm as well as anti roll bar ( 25mm) from mine ph2.

New lower ball joint, steering rack ends and inners, strongflex polyurethane control arm bushings and roll bar ends, and middles.

It's a shame to put it on the car..

CZ1MtKoh.jpg

81MlReWh.jpg

Q6qz2z5h.jpg

diZiiglh.jpg

Lots to write here about..
Engine loom tested and cleaned. Covered in tesa tape and plastic casing, now it looks oem.
As the car was finished and it was time to test it, a trackday on carting track came up and it seemed like an ideal oportunity to stres test the car. Track is small and 2nd gear is all you can get, on the straight 80 kmh is top speed, but it's technical and friendly for your pocket so it's lot's of fun.
In 3 days i drove almost 500 kilometers. Things that need replacing are, thermostat, outer balljoint on passenger side, new front brakes. Now are 262, i'm going to put 280mm. Tires i drove on were NS2R, dot 1316, pretty old, and i felt that on the track, but on the road they are perfect. Also for the track day the car was without interior and with 4 point belt, omp steering wheel. Amazing feeling.

0YJ59cOh.jpg

732izRAh.jpg

Fa7ih5Wh.jpg

ZLe4wBYh.jpg

zrFBQ74h.jpg

4fFCPogh.jpg

Seat from cabrio.
14AZz4Bh.jpg

f3HKXVOh.jpg

0eKykmPh.jpg

zVAVDYNh.jpg

PPoCbJGh.jpg

R6zt1vSh.jpg

XmNN35Kh.jpg

zaEsIROh.jpg

nKJf6eAh.jpg

wkHT15Lh.jpg

zVAVDYNh.jpg

So.. time for an update.
Got some new parts and cleaned a little bit :)
To start with powerflex camber bolts, because now i have too much negative camber (-2.50), to lower it down to cca -1.
LVl71tGh.jpg

qC8w5ovh.jpg

Cleaned drivers wheel arch, and protected the plastic.

I0v8UvWh.jpg

cst7wgKh.jpg

pKhnYg1h.jpg

eO2qn9th.jpg

nWKs9XIh.jpg

apAMgrOh.jpg

Todql4Qh.jpg

wfZiFixh.jpg

7G6hbgth.jpg

43WjqgEh.jpg

Q6NWfA1h.jpg

bHyeKysh.jpg

Finally wheels came from painting, so good looking

O0858uTh.jpg

rgqnVZEh.jpg

u2Bv3mXh.jpg

lc3LuE3h.jpg

Aaand few new parts. New thermostat, front & rear discs, ebc yellow, oil & filter, bearings for rear discs, repari kit for front brake calipers, ate typ200 brake fluid.

PvuJeV3h.jpg

xlpwinLh.jpg

h4YliXph.jpg

Also passenger cv joint was worn, took out the driveshaft, dissasembled it, and one big mistery. The cv joint doesen't exist. Literally. Outer teths 23, inner 22.
Anyways i figured out the driveshaft isn't 16v, so i am in process of getting one. Hope the abs starts working then.

3D1P3mAh.jpg

8SK7be7h.jpg

MH3dU8zh.jpg

And fitted the thing for the corrector of rear brakes
R0nhtPZh.jpg

Some time from my last post..

Managed to brake 2 cir clips.. Will try to find an solution with my friend who has lathe..

Cleaned the passenger wheel arch, didn't make any photos later because it got dark and i forgot, Front end is now complete and got my hands on speedline maracana with caps and 2 keys..

Also brake calipers ready to be painted in red.

TIm0Cu7h.jpg

1st
UKLrDzah.jpg

2nd
YUXyfedh.jpg

CZBjS5Bh.jpg

VQObIgth.jpg

FwY7bdjh.jpg

2BphZLFh.jpg

rvwkuVNh.jpg

XyXoTpvh.jpg

IaA0EQVh.jpg

uTzN0ZLh.jpg

11y1K4Uh.jpg

LFiaeZAh.jpg

Megane has been put on it's own feet, need to install circlip reinforcement and test it.. Since i got the clio, all the brakes went on it and megane got left overs from clio .. Still better then it had previously.
Calipers are a bit rusty but i will paint them. Have no clue what to do with this car since i cant get it to pass MOT without investing a quite a lot of money in it but that makes no sence since i got the 172.. Maybe turn it into full track car..

gdXBe9Qh.jpg

hN8eTMRh.jpg

zarjfsQh.jpg

UW22lM6h.jpg

dEGMVyoh.jpg

IjnkLdHh.jpg

2twxaO8h.jpg

pvnkJnrh.jpg

DE3DVymh.jpg