ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup - 2118 - Whiteline - K-tec - Eibach

Clio 172 Cup
2e3wpr8.jpg

Just picked this up. First impressions are good. Handles well on the road, comfortable ride and averaged 43mpg on the way home. Brakes are really sharp and the acceleration is pretty dam good! Here's the low down...

74k miles
Full service history

FastChip 98 ron remap
K-tec stealth supersport exhaust
K-tec decat
K-tec solid engine mounts
K-tec dogbone powerflex mount
New exhaust mount

New Cup dampers
Eibach Sportlines
K-tec solid top mounts
Whiteline ARB
Carbon splitter

Pagid Blue pads
Brembo HC discs

Speedline 2118's in white
Yokohama Parada Spec 2's
Stainless wheel bolts

Clear side repeaters
197 RS badge
LED interior lights

Overall it's in good clean condition. Happy so far. Next up is an OMP steering wheel.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Good spec mate, enjoy! :approve:

You may find the pads glazing with those discs under heavy braking. I use max discs with them on track with no issues.

Renault Clio 172
All down to wether they are fitted correctly or not from what I have read mate, but I am interested in this also as mine are currently on their way to me

Clio 172 Cup
Whats it like with the solid engine mounts? Does it vibrate alot ?

Does vibrate a little bit but only at 1.5krpm. After that it doesn't vibrate at all. Hope my description helps.

Had solid engine mounts on my old Saxo VTR and that vibrated lots :p

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for your comments! :) Really liking it to be honest. Had a stripped out one earlier in the year with Corbeau Revolutions and TRS harnesses. It also had a Yozza exhaust which I loved so one of those could be on the cards soon!

This car was a birthday present, from myself....thought I'd treat myself for my 21st :)

Will get more pictures tomorrow after I give her a detail. Going to get a full degrease, cleaned arche, underside, engine pay etc with AS G101, wheels taken off to be cleaned inside and out with IronX and Bilberry, full wash...maybe twice, clayed, polished, waxed, sealed, tyre/bumper care, polished and sealed glass with Carlack kit..got to have a clean car! :)

Clio 172 Cup
Gave the car a clean today and applied some trim care and AG SRP. Got too late to wax it so may do that tomorrow.

When cleaning the wheels and arches I came across some Goodridge braided brake lines that weren't described in the for sale ad, and I'm unsure if they came on the Cup as standard? Also it has an ITG panel filter?

Any way picture time as requested, first off at the arches, then took her to 911 Sport for some pics. Notice the aeroplane for sale in the showroom!

P1010163.jpg

P1010164.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010166.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010171.jpg

P1010172.jpg

P1010173.jpg

P1010174.jpg

P1010175.jpg

P1010176.jpg

enjoy and feel free to comment :)

Clio 172 Cup
What suspension kit can I get that provides decent handling but isn't too much money?

Wheels are currently for sale and open to part exchange :)

Thanks for your comments though!

Renault Clio 172
new OEM dampers all round and eibach sportlines is a good cheap combo on the suspension front, i think other than coilovers the next most desireable would be Koni yellow adustable dampers and eibach sportlines, though for the price of the latter, coilovers would be a no brainer for me.

What are you after for the 2118's?

EDIT: D'oh! just realised that you already have the cup damper / eibach combo, well i say just noticed i mean remembered :rolleyes:, maybe a nice set of coilovers is the only way forward then? Can't help you with a reccomendation though im afraid...

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
Ahhhhh yeah got the new dampers and sportlines. I had coilovers on my old Cup and it handled so poorly.

Which coilovers do people recommend?

Erm, I'm after around £500ono for the 2118's

Renault Clio 172
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2853&appid=2

For the price, i doubt you could go wrong, but I have no experience of how good (or not as the case MAY be) they are.

I think the Bilstein B14 kit is meant to be one of the highest regarded, but its not cheap,

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2044&appid=2

Then again it depends what you class as expensive, ive seen coilover kits for clios nearing the 3K mark...

I do believe the Renault Sport Cup Racer Clio uses the Bilstein B14 suspension as standard but i may be wrong.

Hope this is a little bit of insight mate, sorry i can't help you more :cheers:

Cup In bits
Nice road spec car mate, If you want the wheels to look really good then i'd suggest coilovers, spax rsx from dan @519 get good write ups, a little bit more than you wanted to pay though.

I personally wouldn't have coilovers on my day to day car, been there and done that, another option to keep standardish ride and go lower would be custom springs or get your eibach's re-wound.

Olix 99 Bilstein B14's are nothing like cup racer suspension in anyway really FYI.

Clio 172 Cup
Think to be honest I'm going to part exchange the wheels for some different ones and leave it as it is. I never planned to own this car long as I also have a race car build on the go (another one as I crashed the last car) and use the tow car (Merc Viano 2.2) as a daily. Just going to give it a service and enjoy it as it is :)

Cup In bits
There you go then, 16" fill the arch a bit better if your not going for lows.

Have you got a thread for your build?

Renault Clio 172
Olix 99 Bilstein B14's are nothing like cup racer suspension in anyway really FYI.

I did say i may be talking utter rubbish :eek: just knew that cup racers used bilstein haha

Thanks for the correction mate, don't like giving out bad information :)

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah I feel it's fine for the road :) no thread for the race car build but I may do one soon. Not much is happening until November December time

Cup In bits
I did say i may be talking utter rubbish :eek: just knew that cup racers used bilstein haha

Thanks for the correction mate, don't like giving out bad information :)

No worries mate, Cup Phil runs the B14 and is quite un impressed by them for track, I think the spax kit is better all round for similar money if not cheaper.

Yeah I feel it's fine for the road :) no thread for the race car build but I may do one soon. Not much is happening until November December time

I look forward to seeing it, Clio??

Clio 172 Cup
Nooo not a Clio :) I'm still unsure what's happening yet but if it goes ahead then I'll get a progress thread up. I was going to go into 750mc Toyota MR2 championship with either Rogue Motorsport or AW tracksport but I'm trying to see if I can go alone in Stock Hatch in a Saxo VTR as I know more about these cars.

Clio 172 Cup
It's a beaute :)

Small update, cleaned the ITG panel filter yesterday, and refitted this morning. So much crap came off it, but it's all fresh now and should improve performance a little bit :)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
i know :( only paid £350 for them brand new for the pair with side mounts and runners lol.

Clio 172 Cup
Beading picture tonight! Car has had 2 layers of Finishkare 1000p for the Autumn/Winter. Windows also sealed with the Carlack window sealing kit :)

P1010178.jpg

P1010180.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
Well I sold it to a real Clio enthusiast end of October last year. But I purchased it back last night
smiley1.gif

Changes are it as a Momo steering wheel, M1144 front pads, Yokohama AD08's.

Feels good to have it back! Brakes are Snappy McSnappington!
smiley1.gif
Handles like a dream.

I have a few plans
smiley2.gif