ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RenaultSport Clio 172 - Monaco Blue

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Better late than never, eh? :rasp: (remember, follow me on my Facebook page for regular updates)

Enjoy.

RenaultSport Clio 172 ph2 – Monaco Blue

’53 plate. 59k miles. In for a 3 day Major Paint Correction detail with some light interior work and an engine bay session. Overall, some 25 hours put into this one.

Product

· 3M Glass Cleaner
· 3M Extra Fine
· 3M Ultra Fina
· AMDetails Mild Clay Bar
· AutoSmart G101
· AutoSmart Hazsafe
· AutoSmart Tardis
· AutoSmart Reglaze
· AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care
· Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection
· Bilt Hamber AutoFoam
· Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
· Iron-X
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime
· Meguiars Super Degreaser
· Meguiars Wheel Brightener
· Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
· Menzerna 85RD 3.02 Intensive Polish
· Menzerna 203s Power Finish
· Zaino Z6

Video highlights:

http://youtu.be/jRwn9X1T01A?hd=1

Vehicle dropped late Tuesday night. Inspection.

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg

First impressions were pretty good. Didn’t think the swirling/scratches looked ‘too’ bad.

Before locking it away for the night, I decided to push on and tick off the wash stages so that I could get straight into it first thing in the morning.

Wheels took some sorting. Four hits of Iron-X after the cleansing stage to help lift heavy pitting.

DSC_0514.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

Arches cleaned with Megs Super Degreaser and various ‘tools’ & brushes:

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

AS Hazsafe applied to the lowers and the front end to loosen bug splats. Thorough jet down before receiving Bilt Hamber’s Autofoam..

DSC_0529.jpg

Washed with a merino mitt, Dodo Juice Born to be Mild shampoo and the two bucket system.

DSC_0530.jpg

The falling sun highlighted plenty of deep scratches.

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

A lot of the scratches were in long straight lines, from the back of the car to the front. An obvious car-wash victim.

Lots of tar thrown down the sides of this one. More so in the arches and caught on the inner lip:

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

Further decontamination with AMDetail’s mild clay bar.

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

Pick up wasn’t too bad. Owner has clayed, polished and waxed the vehicle in the past himself; overall a tidy well kept car.

Popped back into the little tin for safe storage – nice touch, Alan.

DSC_0547.jpg

In the morning, a quick run around to check the defects:

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg
DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

Paint thickness readings were healthy throughout. Averaging ~140um across the whole car.

DSC_0565.jpg

The roof however, well, that was more like 250um. (resprayed at somepoint for whatever reason)

DSC_0562.jpg
DSC_0563.jpg

Starting my polishing set on the bonnet, I went in with a yellow 3M polishing pad and Menz 85RD 3.02 for a medium cut.

After:

DSC_0567.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

Great. Barely touched it!

Stepped up to a 3M cutting and finally settled on 3M green cut pad with 3M Fast Cut +.

DSC_0688.jpg

To chase 90%+ correction, again, I lose count of how many passes had to be made in the compounding stages. Slow progress.

Roof before/after:

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

DSC_0599.jpg

In my eyes, an important piece of kit for any detailer:

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0624.jpg

182 Cup spoiler before and after:

DSC_0625.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

Roof refined down to a sharp and crisp finish. (Check out the metallic flake!)

DSC_0628.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

Working down from the roof, the A, B and C-Pillars were hit. Various spot pads and polishes.

DSC_0640.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

Starting to make my way down the O/S of the car.

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

Before tackling the ‘body’ of the door and rear wing, I find it’s important to first hit that inch or two above (and below) the bumpstrips to ensure correction is as tight as possible. A large cutting pad would struggle to correct all the way down flush to the plastic trim.

DSC_0649.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

Correction on the O/S coming on well.

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0654.jpg

3M cutting pad ready for the bin!

DSC_0664.jpg

O/S/R quarter finished.

DSC_0666.jpg

O/S sill. Before & after:

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

Time to spin it round.

DSC_0682.jpg

Roof complete:

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg
DSC_0685.jpg

Again, working down from the roof, the A, B and C-Pillars were hit next.

B-Pillar:

DSC_0686.jpg
DSC_0687.jpg

Bootlid:

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

Much of the same down the N/S of the car so no photos here.

Front bumper was a bit tired. Didn’t come up as well as I wanted it to, to be honest.

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

Rear bumper:

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

That little ‘lip’ on the lower bumper. Very tough to get ‘perfect’ but as you can see, dramatically improved.

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0717.jpg
DSC_0719.jpg

Machine polishing complete. Time to rinse.

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg
DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

Back inside and dry (blown dry with the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer), an IPA wipe was given to remove remaining polishing oils.

A few touch ups needed:

DSC_0732.jpg

DSC_0733.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

For the show car ‘wet look’, I chose Blackfire’s ‘Wet Diamond’ All Finish Paint Protection as the LSP (last stage product (protection))

DSC_0729.jpg

Engine dressed and metalwork polished with Jeffs Prime.

DSC_0742.jpg
DSC_0743.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

Interior didn’t need much work – plastics wiped, hovered, carpets scrubbed and glass cleaned:

DSC_0738.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0759.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg
DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

Before collection Friday late afternoon, a wipedown with Zaino Z6 was given:

DSC_0741.jpg

Outdoor ‘after’ photos.

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg
DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

DSC_0786.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

DSC_0781.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

DSC_0793.jpg

DSC_0789.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

So, 25 hours over the 3 days. A lengthy process due to the amount of multiple machine passes that had to be made to push for 90% correction.

Owner was over the mood. Very happy.

Car will be on show at this weekends’ French Car Show in Northamptonshire.

Many thanks for reading.

Jim.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I <3 you.

i actualy look up to you and aspire to one day be making my car look that good!

may i ask how many years you have been doing this for?

As above Jim, the finish you achieve is quite frankly beyond belief!!

Also I recognise the 172 but can't put a member to it... Really nice!!

Sprint 172
I found my Monaco to have very hard paint. In the end, I had great correction from Megs 105 with an orange LC pad on the Flex 3401VRG - a very powerful combination. Then refined with Megs 205.

172 exclusive
jim , out of interest what sort of ball park figure would you charge for something like this ?

mick

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent work Jim. I've already seen the write-up on your website. Cracking job, perfect timing too, as I've had a rubbish day polishing my car! Really struggling with some correction on my BG, it's doing my head in, this thread has given me some motivation to crack on with it tomorrow!

Focus
Looks brill I bet he's chuffed! So tempted myself now seeing what the monaco can look like. :(

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Uncles, you're in Newark!? ME TOO!

Will keep an eye out for you.. Likewise, look out for my blue A4 Avant.

Thanks all - was a nice job. Phil ("SHoT_CoRPSe") was very pleased.

Mick, pop us an email if you could RE pricing.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/member.php?65938-cliox4
Cliox4, lol. "officially", since April 6 2009. Before that, I was a bit of a weekend warrior working out the back of my A3/S3!

Ta!

gdw

RS Clio 172
What would it cost for something like this to be carried out?

Oh and utterly amazing!

C3 Picasso Beast
This morning the car was sadly looking fairly dirty after the dust of FCS and then the heavy rain of yesterday. I did try and keep it clean at the show by copying lots of other people I saw and rubbing the dust off with a microfibre but it just didn't seem to work for some reason?!? Therefore I thought today I'd treat the car to a tesco value car wash like the old days to get it looking as clean as above...

;)

172 Cup
Such a great colour when it looks like this!

Awesome detail man, i always love your write ups. Thanks for sharing.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic as always Jim, really rewarding after shots. A lot of the time it can be hard to convery the finish with pictures but the 172 looks highly reflective and depth of colour is superb.

People underestimate how much wash marring and swirls can rob paint of it's true finish.

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
refined monaco is amazing. got similar results when i did mine, so much pop!

223384_10150158580109023_587484022_6764213_8168858_n.jpg

215962_10150159080199023_587484022_6770429_4072024_n.jpg

sorry, thread hi-jack!

wish my bodywork was a straight as yours though...

nice car !

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Cheers all.

Yep, looked dripping once finished and out in the sun. Stunning!

Did anyone see the car at FCS? Anyone take a snaps of it..?

Love it!
If I can get my new Monaco looking half as good at some point in the next year i'd be well chuffed.
Hopefully I'll be home for next weekend to make a start on the long road to perfection...

Biggest problem is living next to a grain store, car just gets hammered with dust particles.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Yep, that's a slight problem for you!

Ever thought about looking into the Blackfire kit? Was well impressed with it on the monaco blue.

If I could get a shot this quality on all my jobs, I'd be laughing. It's ace!

DSC_0765.jpg

I'll look into the Blackfire kit, that shot in the sun looks so good. Almost like it's a Mondial cup with the Turinis.

I need to get some correction products sorted first before i get into nice shiny stuff. I'm still a bit of a noob to the detailing above the Sunday wash-polish-wax routine.

Do you think a DA polisher is a wise investment for someone with swirly, stone-chipped paint on a new project. Or should i just be looking at decent cutting polishes and some hard graft?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Do you think a DA polisher is a wise investment for someone with swirly, stone-chipped paint on a new project. Or should i just be looking at decent cutting polishes and some hard graft?

Hard graft, by hand? For any sort of decent correction, you're really looking torwards a machine job. A DA would be the best - perhaps pick up a scrap panel first if you're worried about going straight onto your own car; you just need to be comfortable with the machine. You'd be pretty unlucky (silly?) to cause damage with a DA. Don't expect to get the results overnight, either. It may take you three or four attempts with the DA to find where you want to be - one of those things that you don't want to be rushing (once the control and technique are there, it'll soon drop into place)

I see you're Scotland based - try contacting Alan @ AMDetails as I know he's up your way (somewhere...) and should be able to help.

That's come out well. Just needs the shocker removing from the rear window and the correct windscreen rubber fitting, it's had a cooking model part fitted at some point (I presume it's had the screen replaced).

GSXR + KDX220
Cheers all.

Yep, looked dripping once finished and out in the sun. Stunning!

Did anyone see the car at FCS? Anyone take a snaps of it..?
I snapped a couple of pics of the car at FCS, I did notice how clean it was! Though the pic quality is rubbish (sorry! lol) as it was on my phone
IMAG0194-1.gif

IMAG0193.jpg

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Thanks for the pic Chris! (also replied to your PM, cheers)

Phil, nice. You got some good shots there - esp like the ones with the sun down the N/S but that portrait one with the tank-track reflection is mental! (On that note, have you looked into Blackfire yet?)

Dawn, whats your location?! Lots coming up now - i'm booked up until the last week in July!!

Hard graft, by hand? For any sort of decent correction, you're really looking torwards a machine job. A DA would be the best - perhaps pick up a scrap panel first if you're worried about going straight onto your own car; you just need to be comfortable with the machine. You'd be pretty unlucky (silly?) to cause damage with a DA. Don't expect to get the results overnight, either. It may take you three or four attempts with the DA to find where you want to be - one of those things that you don't want to be rushing (once the control and technique are there, it'll soon drop into place)

I see you're Scotland based - try contacting Alan @ AMDetails as I know he's up your way (somewhere...) and should be able to help.

Think i may have to go for for a DA as I have a few cars to tidy up and justify the outlay. will just need some time and patience I guess.
Thanks for the heads up about Alan at AMDetils, just up the road and may be a useful resource.:approve:

Cant wait to get home and get started on my Clio now. Feel really guilty only having it for one day then abandoning it in a car park for weeks :eek:

C3 Picasso Beast
I had a quick look for Blackfire on i4detailing and Clean Your Car the day I picked the car up as I was looking for a price but they don't seem to sell it so where can I get some from Jim?? Also I had no idea who actually makes it as I couldn't remember :eek: