ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

searching tickover on cup/172

Recently my cup has started searching between 1-2k from cold, usually only for a couple of minutes but it never used to do it.

Also, it kind of feels like its driving itself for the first couple of minutes and the throttle is kind of jerky, feels like its retarded. It does go if i put my foot down but i dont do that from cold...

Anyone have similar or does mine need attention?

Chris

apparently just the way the control unit adjusts the idle from cold, even when warm it will fluxuate a little im told its normal and just the way the ignition and fuelling is controlled

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine does exactly the same. As you say its only for a dew minutes, so I dont want to take the time to book it in especially for that.

It doesnt do it everytime either. This morning I took it out the garage and drove off as smooth as can be. Last night I left work and it felt like it was being held back, so I applied a little more throtle and off it went. Not a real problem, but I like to be extra gentle when cold.

Im not sure but I think I read somewhere they fix it with an ECU update. Just a simple fix. Ill ask about it when I have an oil change done at 3k. Unless it gets worse of course.

Anyone else care to comment?

Lee

rod your car is brand new so will have the latest software on it, and if a new version is out then the dealer are supposed to automatically update it when you have the car serviced, if you want to be extra sure when it goes in for its service just ask them to check

Apparently this is to lower the emissions from cold (new law that tests emission from cold) so it is lumpy. As said, there is an ECU update that will improve this. The mk1 172s dont do this (i believe) as when they came out the law was to test emissions after 5 minutes to allow engine/cat etc to warm up.

My car was serviced last month and now its never lumpy from cold starts. I can only assume theyve updated my software.

My does this. Seems fine in the morning but all lumpy when i leave work. But as its only for a minute or two then Im not bothered.

Yeah mine was a bugger when I first got mine back in September, like some one mentioned I was informed of a software upgrade which helped!

Like others say mine does still on some mornings and not others........

Pugboy i like your wording retarded.....I know exactly what you mean...drives itself...no need to apply any throttle!

mine does this, fluctuates between the revs when you hold a bit of throttle on it, the revs go up and down when the throttle is completely still warm or cold the guy at the garage said it could be a coil problem and is booked in for a check

CTR EK9 turbo

yep mine does this - sometimes when its cold too. Once it was going up and down higher than 2k rpm, almost like cruise control when driving. Also when i revved the engine the revs descended really slowly. Strange sensation. booked it in and it didnt do it! gol dang it, so i guess ill have to wait till it does it again and then take it in whilst its doing it. What a pain in the neck eh?

Also, it once cut out (prior to similar symptoms) and i lost all power, car stalled and i could smell a strong odour of catalytic converter enter the car (not my pants).