ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soon to be turboed

Mini Cooper S sport
I know totally f**k all about engines but this has been really interesting to read! Love the whistling noises :)

Any update?

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
UPDATE-
Sorry for the slow update, those of you at the rolling road day will of seen that the made it there. It took an all nighter from Friday to Saturday. We were up for 36hours in total so please forgive us if you stank like a mouldy pond at the day! We dicided agastist putting it on the dyno just yet as we didn't have the boost sensitive FPR and were only running 6psi.

As we were rushing like mad I didn’t take many pictures as the build was drawing to an end.

This is a picture of the custom downpipe we had made. The space behind the engine is so tight, especially with the size turbo we are using so all the power steering pipe had to be moved as the brake lines.

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

After working out the intercooler pipework the car flew back together. We started working on it at about 8pm after some food and it was all back together at 3.30-4am.
This is a video of it running up for the first time with +ve boost :)

th_MOV00852.jpg

The rest of this week we have just been fixing the annoying little niggles like the fan not working and a small problem in tricking the standard ecu to think it was running the engine still. We fitted a boost sensitive FPR and an up-rated fuel pump.

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

Please forgive the blue and red vac pipe, we are still waiting for the black to be delivered, Also my 5 min built actuator bracket. Were still waiting for that too, but they will both do the job so we map it.

Tonight is the night we will be mapping right up to full power. Hopefully our trusty 100k bottom end will do us proud!

I'll be sure to get some videos :)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
as said before, awesome thread:D
have you guys measure or calculate the CR yet? i'm very curious what it will be!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
how much would you charge for this work as a drive in drive out service? pm me as im very interested :) great project lads!

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
how much would you charge for this work as a drive in drive out service? pm me as im very interested :) great project lads!

Theres a possabilty of this. I think it will be pricey tho as of the cost of the Turbo, Standalone and intercooler. Then theres all the little bits that will add up like boost pipes, turbo manifold, fuel pump, gaskets, head macining......... Very do able as you have seen from our thread. I belive a direct copy of our car could re replicated in 2 days if all the parts were on the table ready to go :)

Clio 172 Ph2
Brilliant build!... What boost will full power be?... Do you keep going till the bottom end gives in?
How do you know when to stop? 

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Didn't dyno it mate,

We had a major fueling issue witch turned out today to be the brand new uprated pump.

Weve got a new one in now and are currently running 12psi and well all i can say is, Its fast. Bloody fast actully.

One of my friends/Customers has a Dyno dynamics proven 302bhp Mk1 Focus RS and the clio is dead even with it!

These about another 3psi of boost to come and the ign map needs sorting out as im not running much timing at the moment just to keep things safe.

I can't belive the way it goes tho. very very impressed with it. It comes on boost about about 2250Rpm and pulls hard to 5k then at 5k the cams kick in and the cams and boost work perfectly together and it pulls very very hard all the way to 7.5k.

Chuffed to bits :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Having been passenger in this last night I can honestly it truly is an epic machine!

As I said to the guys last night, it drive really well on & off boost, 3 up cruising back from ace cafe at 70mph you wouldn't even know there was a turbo on it.. Until you plant the accelerator lol

The best part for me is the way it picks up from 5,000rpm & just puts the power down especially as it's still on the stock diff! certainly makes my 172's feel very off the pace now lol

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Welcome to the world of forced induction where what you have is never enough and you always think "just a little bit more and I'll be happy" LoL :)

Clio Sport 172
WOW, i dont even know too much about the techincal side but this is one great thread! and got to read it all in one go as i've only just noticed it :)

Hope the track days are going well?! :p

Trophy Turbo :)
very good lads. once you get to 300Bhp ull soon get used to it, as steve says a little more a little more ,i got rid of mine as 300 felt slow and wanted more, and piles of money to do it. I know there will be a 500bhp clio on this forum come next year!! ;) and a 450bhp 4x4 clio :)

Boost FTW

Last edited: