ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Fatty's KTEC alternative induction setup that works just as well!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
im surprised as I have experienced the reverse (as my RR results show). I wonder if the new smaller filter is too small? it does have half the surface area of my old one (the £44 kit one as in post 1).

It could also just be that the tables in your ECU's are still adjusting though as that will cause and effect.

I personally haven't noticed any less power, and the noise is very addictive. Not sure whether to go for the larger cone as I'm running cams and headwork so need more air than standard.

Clio 182
Im tempted to get a bigger filter just for the fact i seem to have plenty of room for one.

What should i order?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Im tempted to get a bigger filter just for the fact i seem to have plenty of room for one.

What should i order?
check post 1 for the bigger ramair link :smile: you can also get a pipercross but I dont have a link for that one.

I dont think I could ever go back to the standard airbox now lol. there is no way that it has better airflow than a foam filter!

@The Fatty
Just looking at your power graph. Do the clios really only put 136 bhp at the wheels? I was always under the impression it was at the 150 mark in standard form without the filter etc etc.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
every rolling road will give different results. Fatty did the right thing though by testing on the same rolling road after.

Clio 182
When you look at kits such as the viper kit etc the filters in them are very small.

This setup should give better flow over standard i think but guess a couple of runs on a rolling road is the only way to reslly test

Clio 182
I email ramair through ebay to see if they would sell the filter thats in the 182 kit seperate.
This was the reply
Hi Shane,

I'm afraid we do not have a listing for the specific filter supplied in this kit.

However the CC-115 filter that you guys on the cliosport net forum have started using is the closest filter dimension wise that we do have listed.

Not sure what to do now dont no if to go back to a itg panel filter or stick with this. It does sound good i just dont want to be restricting the engine.

I email ramair through ebay to see if they would sell the filter thats in the 182 kit seperate.
This was the reply
Hi Shane,

I'm afraid we do not have a listing for the specific filter supplied in this kit.

However the CC-115 filter that you guys on the cliosport net forum have started using is the closest filter dimension wise that we do have listed.

Not sure what to do now dont no if to go back to a itg panel filter or stick with this. It does sound good i just dont want to be restricting the engine.

I think it's worth giving it a shot for £38.. If yours feels restricted, you might be able to live with it or not. I personally couldn't as stated previously I want it running to its full potential. As I've said I just couldn't accept how it felt once it was fully warmed up I reverted back to the original setup with a new filter.

But that's just me :) - Fatty and a few others are fine with how their car feels.

Clio 182
I think it's worth giving it a shot for £38.. If yours feels restricted, you might be able to live with it or not. I personally couldn't as stated previously I want it running to its full potential. As I've said I just couldn't accept how it felt once it was fully warmed up I reverted back to the original setup with a new filter.

But that's just me :smile: - Fatty and a few others are fine with how their car feels.

To be honest mine doesnt feel restricted im just going by what people on here are saying. I might pop the orignal back on and see if i notice a differance.

Its a tough one i just cant see it being any worst than a standard setup, but will keep playing

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
My link pipe came today so fitted it tonight and went out a run. Sounds good, but I'm undecided on things power wise. Although I had cold air feed ducts running straight to the ph1 airbox which is already pretty efficient. I'll reroute these at some point to direct air properly to the filter and see how it is then.

For now though I don't think it really feels much different. Happy with it for the price anyway!

Arctic 182
I've had this set up on for a few days now. Have been driving normally & giving it the odd blast, & I'm still pretty undecided. I sort of think it's developed a slight flat spot between 3-4k that wasn't there with the original air box & itg panel filter. But then again when I give it some welly through the gears I hardly notice it & it seems to pull harder so it might be my imagination lol. I'm running custom exhaust with decat & 98RON map. As I said, still really undecided. LOVING the deep throaty induction noise however!

I suppose it's because I've never had an induction kit on a car like this before. Didn't/don't know what to expect. (Plus unlike the majority on here I'm not as clued up on engines etc)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Has anybody had a Ktec one and a diy one to compare any difference in noise? My old Ktec sounded like throttle bodies over 5k, where I do wonder if I'm going to get a similar noise or just a deep induction noise.

Megane R26
Ice gone for a green cotton filter, identical size to the Ram Air. Have had really good results with Green cotton filters on old 306 Rallyes and various 16v 106 Rallyes. Brutal noise too :) pics and video next week.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Its a tough one i just cant see it being any worst than a standard setup, but will keep playing

It should be less restrictive in the airflow as there is less pipe for the air to flow through. TBH I think the only thing that could be causing an issue is (1) the filter is too small or (2) the car is just adjusting and needs more time to correct the tables. I don think heat is an issue, it not in mine anyway as I can see the air temps with my RSTuner and they are not high. If I have time tomorrow I will go for a run and log some data. If your coming to the meet tomorrow, I can bring it there and we can see if your readings match mine (MAF etc)?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Has anybody had a Ktec one and a diy one to compare any difference in noise? My old Ktec sounded like throttle bodies over 5k, where I do wonder if I'm going to get a similar noise or just a deep induction noise.
Looking at the ktec videos, I would say it sound pretty much the same.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
This was the reply
Hi Shane,

They should give me some commission lol

clio 182
I use to have a pipercross viper with cold air feed, and since changing to this set up my car does feel more responsive! it isn't a noise placebo neither as I already run a scorpion exhaust which roars when I put my foot down

Clio 182
I use to have a pipercross viper with cold air feed, and since changing to this set up my car does feel more responsive! it isn't a noise placebo neither as I already run a scorpion exhaust which roars when I put my foot down
Good to hear, I ordered mine the other day and then people have said they have been selling them as its not for them and made me think have I made a mistake ordering it.gives me a little more confidence now... the filter has arrived today, just got to wait for the pipe now :smile:

FF Titanium 182
I havent noticed any issues what so ever apart from it being wet so my car is slipping throughout the gears. Noise is awesome and doing the 98ron map the weekend so should be mint!

Good to have a second opinion. Not doubting but 10 hp is outstanding. Not seen that kind of gain with just induction and no custom tuning

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
OK I did some logging tonight, as as expected the intake temperature is fine when the car is moving (high teens low twenty's at an ambient temperature of 10C). It does rise when the car is moving slowly or is stationary, but this mirrors my original findings in my article regarding filter placement. What this means is that if your driving 'fast' (anything abouve 40mph), the speed your going should be creating enough airflow to keep the intake temps pretty close to the OE airbox.

Same intake temps + improved airflow should result to more bhp. That's the logic anyway!

airtemplog1.png

Im just going to go for standard airbox and panel filter. Thats the only 'surefire' way of improvement and its about the same price.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Only on the way home the other weekend. I don't drive the car much, but up early for a blast before work tomo :)