ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Fatty's KTEC alternative induction setup that works just as well!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I've fitted my bmc this morning. Not driven yet but I'm driving home to Wales tomorrow. So will leave my feedback on that.

Any suggestions as to where to put cold air feed? I may just have the end sat behind passenger headlight (Same spot as these IK fitted) as I read a thread with temp tests saying it's good, cool airflow there.... Don't really want to remove a fog light for a feed etc.
connect it to the oe cold air feel?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Quite tempted by this but only because its so cheap, I'm pretty content with my ph1 box already.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I don't think there is a better mod for sub £40. I'm struggling to see any downsides. The 2.5k rpm burble is addictive.
yep very. I had to stop myself from opening the tb so often now though when not needed as my mpg was going down lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Out of interest. A car that has been mapped with the rs tuner without one of these, will it self adjust over time? Just curious.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Out of interest. A car that has been mapped with the rs tuner without one of these, will it self adjust over time? Just curious.
yeah, it just takes longer. the ecu is always in learning mode :smile: I believe it makes an adjustment whenever it detects knock or an imbalance somewhere. Although im a novice on ECU logic so that might not be how it works at all!

FF Titanium 182
I put my kit on, and then did thr re-map theory in my head is that, that way round it would help. Running mint so im happy

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Kind of guessed that would be the answer. :smile:
I think its along the lines of this even though this is for a different ECU:

Q: What Is "Fuel Trim"?
A: "Fuel Trim" is the fine tune control of fuel delivery by the ECU. To accomplish this the ECU increases or
decreases fuel delivery by increasing or decreasing the time that the injectors are open.

Q: How does the controller know what to do?
A: By monitoring the primary Oxygen sensor(s) (pre catalytic convertor), engine coolant temperature,
throttle position, air mass volume, engine speed(rpm) and to a lesser extent changes in altitude, humidity,
ambient temperature, fuel quality, etc.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If you really want to know what is happening, log: ignition advance, ignition advance after knock correction, knock signal and knock slow timing correction in RsTuner.

Reactions: Gus
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
If you really want to know what is happening, log: ignition advance, ignition advance after knock correction, knock signal and knock slow timing correction in RsTuner.
my ignition advance normally hovers around +20. if that means anything

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Check what it is when manifold pressure is at 100 and your up high in the rpm range and cross reference it against knock correction. If there is a knock correction and then you see ignition advance start to drop , you obviously know it's pulling timing out.

Reactions: Gus

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
For everyones info, i have been logging with a similar setup and its only pulled timing once that i can see. Need to log more, but i am on a 98rom Rstuner remap.
The rstuner map seems to run 26-28 degrees advance at MBT and seems very well suited for this IK.

Clio 182
Would adding a heat shield make any difference.
would it stop any heat soak from the engine bay, or would it simply block the cooler air when travelling along?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'm new to rstuner, but when there is a negative value in the ignition advance column, thats were i suspect it pulls timing, can anyone else confirm?
Looks like it pulled timing out once, but should do some logs with a clean pull from 2000rpm, 100% throttle all the way to 6500rpm, maybe 2 or three pulls like that and report back, make sure you select knock signal and knock slow timing correction as well under the select parameters for live data log.

Well I'm very pleased with my BMC kit. I suspect it's quieter than fatty kit judging by what people are saying on here.
I was expecting a crappy "1.1 Saxo with a massive air filter bawwwwww" sound.
Its a nice aggressive sound, that's not too shouty and compliments the exhaust nicely. Main thing is I've not noticed any bogging down that I was expecting, as I've had with IK in the past. Throttle response feels sharp and the car drives well.

Clio 182 BMC induction kit:
Just a short acceleration vid. First half my Windows still open.
So if people find fatty kit too loud, this could be an alternative option I guess.

Yeah it's just right. Wonder how loud it is outside?.....
I'll probably buy fatty setup in near future as a comparison too as I'd like to see how much louder it is and wether it drives any different.
Only bought BMC as it came up at good price 2ND hand. So far so good though.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah i spotted that, price was good. Be interesting to see if you find a comparison between the two if you decide too. Good thing is your not going to lose any money with either kit

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The only thing different on my setup is that I am running a green cotton pod filter, but all in all, it's certainly making more power than with the stock setup. I am also running a 3inch cold air feed where the acoustic valve was sitting.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I'm new to rstuner, but when there is a negative value in the ignition advance column, thats were i suspect it pulls timing, can anyone else confirm?
Looks like it pulled timing out once, but should do some logs with a clean pull from 2000rpm, 100% throttle all the way to 6500rpm, maybe 2 or three pulls like that and report back, make sure you select knock signal and knock slow timing correction as well under the select parameters for live data log.
Mine was logged using Torque btw - a lot less faff than RSTuner! However if there is a few negative values in my data it could be my scan tool having a funny five seconds!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
This is my intake kit, as you can see resprayed the pipe to satin black and used this green cotton pod filter i had, as you can see just squeezed in a piece of U channel rubber edge trim against the intake pipe.
i-QMRrRNW-M.jpg

i-WJ9wx44-L.jpg

Then i custom made my own intake box out of 0.7mm aluminium, pretty simple really.
i-3gMHMfh-M.jpg

Final result after install, used lots of the rubber edge trim.
i-SPMQ6HB-M.jpg

Overall happy with the DIY setup

installed "fatty's" kit today, first impressions, love the warble coming from it.
Great sound and subjectively seems faster and throttle repsonse is good. Very happy for the price!
Thanks dude

Megane 225 f1
Picked mine up today from royal mail sorting office. Going to pop in to work tomorrow and fit it. Will post up my thoughts in a few days

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Try an etch primer first, I will have to redo mine with an etch primer, as when I dummy installed it, I scratched it. Although I did use pound land spray paint haha.

Megane 225 f1
Fitted mine this morning. Exactly the same setup as the op but i have a caf pipe just below the filter. Went for a couple of blasts and wow! The sound is incredible. Didn't think i would hear it that much over the exhaust (k-tec janspeed with decat and no center) but it is very addictive. On the short couple of drives i don't seem to have lost anything (power/tourqe e.t.c) but to me it seems to pull harder after about 4,500 rpm but that mabye just the noise tricking the mind? Will see how it goes over the next week or so and will post up again, but first impressions are very good and well worth the money. Thanks @The Fatty and good work!

Clio 182
Well I have had it on for over a week now, just been letting the ecu adjust etc and the nosie is very nice it makes, definitely addictive to get the 2000k noise... to me, it kind feels like it pulls slightly better at lower revs, whther thats just my imagination, but in 4th gear at just over 2000 revs, it seems to pull a little better than before. As said above, it does feel as though it also pulls better at 4.5k revs. I gave it a bit of a blast today and for some reaosn it felt alot faster. This was a mod I did to see if I liked it, and I think it will be staying for a while :smile: thanks @The Fatty for this :smile:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Mine was logged using Torque btw - a lot less faff than RSTuner! However if there is a few negative values in my data it could be my scan tool having a funny five seconds!
Have you got one of the low profile bluetooth obd2 that you can leave under the ashtray. I just bought this one and it will fit under the ashtray. What i am a little worried about it whether it will screw over the ecu if it stays there permanently - what do you think? asking for trouble?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
^ won't impact the ecu, the OBDII reader is just that, a protocol to just request data from ecu, never writes.

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you got one of the low profile bluetooth obd2 that you can leave under the ashtray. I just bought this one and it will fit under the ashtray. What i am a little worried about it whether it will screw over the ecu if it stays there permanently - what do you think? asking for trouble?
Isn't it constantly on so draining the car battery