ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
July 2015 - Update #2

Well... I'm fast losing interest in the Trophy again at the moment. It's all part of the rollercoaster ride that is Trophy #165 (or whatever number it is, I couldn't care less at the moment). It's really frustrating to be missing out on meets, drives, track days and just getting out when the weather's good; especially living here in Wales where the roads are actually designed for RenaultSport Clios (true story).

However, on a positive note, a Megane 225 head has been found and is to be inspected for suitability by Steve (who will be building my engine). Chip actually bought the head and then thought it might be useful for my build, so a big thanks to him for that; it was a pleasant 'out-of-the-blue' surprise. :) I believe Steve is also looking at possible piston / piston ring options too.

Whilst the problem with the trophy has been one of getting it moving (and keeping it going) it shouldn't have any problems stopping. Not with today's arrival of these bad boys.

20150713_brembos02.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I know the feeling extremely well mate. No interest in mine either!
:( It must be the time of the month, or perhaps the planets are not aligned favourably. Hopefully the enthusiasm will return soon :)

It's funny how you get used to them not being around.
Very true mate. The driveway looks a lot tidier without the Clio.

Can't you chuck a £300 standard engine in it just now to use over the summer Andy , then get the turbo engine fitted over winter.
It's the hassle mate (for me at least). I'm not technically minded enough in car mechanicals and would be relying on others to get things done. I'm also reluctant to spend on another engine and fitting (even despite the relative small outlay) having thrown 30k at it over the years. The problem is that I decided to spend big on the Clio instead of buying an additional car, and it backfired. I went past that point of no return. Hence it feels like it now owes me big time (it does) and I'm determined to get the most from it. This is why I decided to give it one more go with a boosted build. Until it's done I don't really want anything to do with it (I'm that p!ssed off with it right now) but I know these things take time.

Things are being done and it's in good hands; there are absolutely no issues there whatsoever. :) I just think it's the frustration of the last 5 years where I've had nothing but one problem after another; and it's finally built up to the point where I'm just absolutely fed up to the back teeth.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It'll get there mate, I want it done as much as you lol. I'm loving the turbo choice though after driving richy's. Even on gate pressure it felt quick enough for a road car, combined with how it drove, just how you told us you wanted it to :wink:
I know mate. And I know you want rid asap, too! LOL! Please don't think for one minute I'm having a go / having a dig though... that's NOT the case :) I'm more than grateful for your help (and Mike et al) but I'm just missing driving it (and driving in general).

I've highlighted, in a suitable Trophy-esque colour, the bit of your comment that excites me. I'm genuinely looking forward to it mate despite the frustrations and whining from my corner. And, before I forget, I have your spacers here. Give me a shout if you are in urgent need of them and I'll either pop over at some point or get a courier on the job.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Andy I know its been a long bumpy road but it'll be worth it. I've been out in mine again recently and the fun factor is unbelievable. It's not running to 100% yet so I've not done an update but your gonna love it when it's done.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
No rush at all for them mate, not even sure what vehicle they're going on yet lol.

Don't worry Mate, I know you weren't having a go :smile:
Well... depending on how tight things are with the new Brembos I might even recommend you sell them to me! :tonguewink:

Get a ready made one. just check the mapping though for obvious reasons :wink:
Hahaha, thanks for that mate! Whilst I appreciate the link to the advert I think I will have to politely decline...

Andy I know its been a long bumpy road but it'll be worth it. I've been out in mine again recently and the fun factor is unbelievable. It's not running to 100% yet so I've not done an update but your gonna love it when it's done.
Well hurry up and finish it / get an update sorted then! :tongueout::wink: I hear you mate and I'll stick with it.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Off red with Pink handles as per mine and every other one I've even seen. After this long and this much money @SharkyUK then you might as well roll the dice one more time.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Off-red or red with too much white?
It lives a healthy life, hence is regularly out in the fresh air and sunshine... usually stationary given the issues of recent years. LOL! I'm worried that the Brembos will be too red.

Off red with Pink handles as per mine and every other one I've even seen. After this long and this much money @SharkyUK then you might as well roll the dice one more time.
Don't forget the mirror covers (and, worryingly, the rear bumper...) And the dice will be binned shortly once the last roll is complete :) I haven't forgotten about meeting up sometime mate, but obviously efforts have been hampered due to things not quite going to plan.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
@SharkyUK no probs buddy. Mines having a suspension refurb and new rear shocks so mine is about to be taken off the road unless i book a road trip for next month anyway.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
August 2015 - Update #1
Only a small update...

Sadly I've been in poor health of late so I've been taking things easy and generally feeling sorry for myself. As a result, it didn't half cheer me up when Dan sent me this photo to say that my turbo had finally arrived! Still a long way to go but it's another step in the right direction :smile:

GT2860R

20150801_turbo.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
Slowly but surely.

It will be worlds apart from the Type R Andy - you wont know what hit you!

Oh by the way, I have decided once its done, im coming to stay with you for a weekend so you can show me the roads you keep banging on about ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Slowly but surely.

Oh by the way, I have decided once its done, im coming to stay with you for a weekend so you can show me the roads you keep banging on about :wink:
Top and tail with me?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any progress Andy ?
I'm not sure where things are at at the moment mate. I think Mike's narrowed down options for the ECU and digital dash setup so hopefully that can be confirmed soon. Engine-wise, I'm not sure where Steve is up to (he was looking at a few configuration options). I'll try and get some updates soon :) I did buy new brake discs and pads from George but that's about it as far as updates go at the moment. I'm losing interest in it again at the moment. One minute all is good, the next I'm fed up of it. LOL! I've only seen it once in goodness knows how many months... and it had no engine!

Slowly but surely.

Oh by the way, I have decided once its done, im coming to stay with you for a weekend so you can show me the roads you keep banging on about :wink:
As long as it's not a bent rod or piston that hits me then I'll be happy! :tonguewink: Of course, you'd be more than welcome to join me for the weekend. I know a few nice routes (weather permitting).

Top and tail with me?
Russ is friendly x

As long as you bring the Scoob! x
Amen to that! :)

Welsh Weekender next year - everyone invited! CS does Wales. Tidy, boyo.
This is fast becoming a 'must-do' event each year... bangin'. I can highly recommend it to folks :)

100%

It will be at home on the welsh road's. :smiley:
It will mate, I'm sure of that. This will happen... I haven't forgotten!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
September 2015 - Update #1
Progress continues to be made and yesterday I received some good news :) The core engine has been sourced, picked-up and dropped-off with Mike. It will soon be on the way to Steve so that he can work his magic on it. A massive thanks to Mick (Diamond Motors) for the engine and to Chip for the pick-up and drop-off.

A decision has also been made on the ECU / management side of things and I'm happy to report that the Trophy will be running a MaxxECU setup (following lengthy discussions between Mike and Chip (who runs a MaxxECU)). I paid for it last night and it should be on the way over from Sweden in the coming weeks. Now that that decision has been made Mike can turn his attention to the loom (I don't envy him one bit but I'm incredibly grateful!) The MaxxECU offers some real nice features including plenty of channels and some cool logging features. As part of the solution, 4x EGT sensors have been ordered so that temps can be monitored and engine protection measures programmed as necessary (e.g. monitoring of EGT deltas, etc). Again, thanks to Chip for bringing this solution to my attention and the information based on his experiences during the installation and setup of his own MaxxECU solution. I don't have any actual pictures so here are some I borrowed from the 'Net.

20150902_ecu01.jpg

20150902_ecu02.jpg

20150902_ecu03.jpg

The last image shows the ECU outputting real time data feeds to a companion app on an Android-based tablet (such as a Nexus 7) via Bluetooth. While it's a nice feature to have available (and one I'll potentially have a play around with at some point) it's quite likely the MaxxECU will be driving a digi-dash such as the DASH2 from Race Technology (although it's still to be decided).

And finally, a thanks to Dan who still continues to trip over my Trophy whilst it awaits the new upgrades :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
September 2015 - Update #2
Just a very minor update... I popped over to see Dan (SJM) yesterday and he was kind enough to let me lovingly caress the parts that I'd already paid for and that had obviously been delivered to him. That was a special moment! LOL! If nothing else, it helped boost (see what I did there?) the enthusiasm for the Trophy again. I also picked up my misshapen and damaged forged pistons from the 'outgoing' build and these will be polished up into some rather nice-looking paper weights. Or door stops :smile:

I also received confirmation from Mike (thanks!) that the bottom end is now with Steve, along with a few other bits and pieces :smile: and I had confirmation from Maxxtuning that they had received my payment for the MaxxECU.

Oh yes, Dan is also looking to get my gearbox sorted on my behalf. That may or may not be a hefty bill depending on what is found when it's pulled apart :) Fingers crossed it's not too bad as the gearbox has hardly any miles on it since it was rebuilt and the installed diff is practically new and unused as yet.

Clio 172, Octavia RS
Well that was quite the read! Starting reading for info on the Schrick cams, but many hours later I've learnt a lot more haha!
First of all, congratulations on your persistence, most people would have thrown in the towel long ago... Secondly, I hope you get the car back and running reliably soon so that you can actually enjoy it! :)

Nice to see it's moving forward, and to see how generous the people of this community are :)

You've got a lot of very knowledgeable guys working on this so I'm sure it'll be truly epic!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice updates, ecu choice looks good having seen chips on facebook.

I haven't seen mine since the end of May lol. Hoping it should be back any week now for running in :smilingimp: